Need a little breather from rapid-fire vendor sales down here lol, let’s talk about Who is the typical lurker. SEE POST #53 FOR COUPON CODE!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always a bit worried to answer publicly because I really don't know if an answer is "correct" anymore. One day it's the method and the next it's completely wrong. A lot of stuff we come to realize are anecdotal versus THE TRUTH.
I guess you can only say "in my experience .... x works".

On the note of waves. What has been your observation on vendors? Are they like waves also?
This is it, i would love to give people advice and reply to questions. I however dont want to give bad advice or sound like a dumby lol!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’d say I’m about 50/50 . Aside from greeting new members. I want them to feel as welcomed as when I started on the site. I feel that I still have much to learn so I generally stay in the backround but do look at lots of posts. @BroccoliFarmer I'm in agreement about trolling and wars, one of the reasons I mostly avoid FaceBook these days. And yes it is unfortunate that it exists here, though I feel it isn’t as bad by a fair margin. I spend more of my “active moments“ here on live sales hanging out like @tbrown3589 mentioned although there are a few threads other than my build thread that I chime in with comments.
Hey thanks for chiming in! I totally hear you. now that I think about it, there is a lot someone can absorb by essentially lurking and poking through threads of interest. as a sponge for info myself I learned years and years ago, on RC that there's kind of a gist to learning on forums whether you actually engage and ask questions or not, and this entails knowing HOW to, and WHO to listen to, for the most reliable info. I think once someone kind of zeros in on that forums are an invaluable resource for newer hobbyists that need to learn some fundamentals.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have no friends in real life, so I play on here all day.
Working Season 1 GIF by Paramount+
this is probably true for more of us than would care to admit lol. not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My activity level on this forum is much like my actual reefing hobby. Mostly I keep my hands out of the tank and off the keyboard. Sometimes it’s all on the back burner for a bit. Sometimes front and center.
I don’t have any friends locally that keep tanks so this forum is my go to for interacting with fellow reefers! A great bonus is I get see a lot of awesome reefy things and I can totally skip the elitist parts. That’s harder to do IRL.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm always a bit worried to answer publicly because I really don't know if an answer is "correct" anymore. One day it's the method and the next it's completely wrong. A lot of stuff we come to realize are anecdotal versus THE TRUTH.
I guess you can only say "in my experience .... x works".

On the note of waves. What has been your observation on vendors? Are they like waves also?
I hear you. a lot of times in the hobby there is easily more than one answer to a specific question. definitely doesn't make one the wrong answer necessarily. Good question on vendors waves as well, wile not so much swell or waves, I have certainly seen a lot of vendors come and go here over the years. I think staying power has more to do with my other post from last week. lol. certainly, live sales have become the norm and this obviously creates a larger forum presence for said vendor.

although, I do feel fortunate myself that I don't need to rely quite as heavily on constant r2r mega sales to keep the ship sailing. weather it be a modest inclination or lack of greed or somewhere in the middle. I have managed to avoid the fray since the very beginning of the fray lol.

anyway. thanks for chiming in! always a pleasure

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam, do I win a battle box for king lurker? Lol Been in the hobby 15yrs and on here for 5, 2nd message!
Hmm dude yeah that’s a good call! Let me see what I can come up with! Thanks for coming out of the woodwork for this one. That’s exactly what I was hoping for :)

should we do like 100 off any size battlebox for lurkers willing to post here??

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew Scott Fellman was original
Founder of Unique

i miss his blog over there
It was best part about unique

funny when I ran into current owner of unique I asked what happened to Scott he was like ahh I got rid of him
maybe he meant he bought him out

chopper320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of ironic that I’m posting to say that I am a lurker. I’ve been in the hobby forever and usually read the forums every day but I rarely find a reason to post.

Part of it is that I very rarely find a post that would benefit from one more opinion and part of it is just laziness. I’ve gone thru spells where I try to keep up a build thread but that motivation usually fades away pretty quickly. I still love lurking on the boards and reading any other reefing related content.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lurk alot but will pop in to answer questions and help out newbies here and there. I also will post with vendors or if I make something neat.

When I was first starting out, there were less numbers on the forums. I think the sheer volume can be overwhelming these days. These days I see alot of the same questions repeated and live sales so I tend to not scroll as much as I used to to.

My first reef forum I had something like 15k posts or something absurd and would spend alot of my free time engaging in conversation there. Now I just don't have the time, either, lol. College was a great time for that.

I still scroll and read a fair bit. I drool over everyone's awesome pictures. I curse nit having the money to pull the trigger on all the ridiculous corals I can't afford. But I def am not as active as I was 15+ years back.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OK well guys sometimes you cant fight the flow. We somehow managed to turn this into a sale thread anyway. lol. by way of ironic vox populi, I'm just going go and make this discount official!

Here's a coupon code for $100 off any size order for anyone who is a lurker who decides to make a post in this thread! any and all input is always welcome.

Enter code: LURKER NO MORE at checkout for a cool 100.00 off any size order. no minimum or follow this link and code will be entered automatically.

feel free to spread the vibe to anyone else you may know whatever means necessary. The object is to get people out of the woodwork by hook or by crook.

Last edited:

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK well guys sometimes you cant fight the flow. We somehow managed to turn this into a sale thread anyway. lol. by way of ironic vox populi, I'm just going go and make this discount official!

Here's a coupon code for $100 off any size order for anyone who is a lurker who decides to make a post in this thread! any and all input is always welcome.

Enter code: LURKER NO MORE at checkout for a cool 100.00 off any size order. no minimum or follow this link and code will be entered automatically.

feel free to spread the vibe to anyone else you may know whatever means necessary. The object is to get people out of the woodwork by hook or by crook.
That puts me out, I wasn't a lurker even when I was a lurker. Time to spread the news though.

RobReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is awesome! Than you for bringing me out of the shadows! Just ordered a box!!

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only sticks liked me and my tanks!! For now I’ll just got to the battlecorals website and look at the pretty pictures.

Great hearing you on the Reef bum podcast. Feel better!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back