Need a nano protein skimmer for a 16 gallon BioCube

adrianbranches

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!
So I have a small BioCube and want to add a protein skimmer so I can have corals. Any ideas what or where the best nano skimmer is? Would prefer the max at H 16in, W 3in, and H 3in. Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
adrianbranches

adrianbranches

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, a skimmer isn’t necessary to have corals. I don’t even have a skimmer on my sos system and everything is growing fast.
Hey Martin! Thanks for the advice, can you elaborate on what an sos system is? My research indicates it’s good for SPS coral, so maybe I can start with that class of corals? What corals do you have and sorry for the long list of questions lol.

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, a skimmer isn’t necessary to have corals. I don’t even have a skimmer on my SPS system and everything is growing fast.
I almost need a skimmer to keep my pH anywhere near 8.0- are you able maintain pH with it it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Martin! Thanks for the advice, can you elaborate on what an sos system is? My research indicates it’s good for SPS coral, so maybe I can start with that class of corals? What corals do you have and sorry for the long list of questions lol.
I'm sure he meant sps system, it was a typo

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Is there a way to fit a nano skimmer on a 16 gallon Biocube without putting it in the tank where it’s visible? There really isn’t any space in the chambers unless you get rid of the media basket in the second chamber.
Any recommendations?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm pretty sure Coral Life makes their own skimmer designed to go in the AIO portion of the BioCube?

I've never used it personally, so no idea how well it works, but might be worth looking into.

Also Bubble Magus released the Mini Q model that is pretty small, not sure it is small enough for the AIO chambers, but again it might be worth looking into.

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure Coral Life makes their own skimmer designed to go in the AIO portion of the BioCube?

I've never used it personally, so no idea how well it works, but might be worth looking into.

Also Bubble Magus released the Mini Q model that is pretty small, not sure it is small enough for the AIO chambers, but again it might be worth looking into.

I tried originally with the Coral Life but had to return it because the only way to make it work was t remove the middle chamber media basket and I wasn't going to do that. Its a bit misleading b/c it says it fits the 16 gallon but not the traditional way.

I checked out the Mini Q and its a bit too big so it wont fit in the 1st chamber. Thanks for the suggestion.

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eshoppes mini skimmer is nice intank i donot have biocube im not sure if it would fit. dimensions are on amazon/eshoppes website

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one might just fit as I believe I have 2-3 inch to play with in that 1st chamber...I'll check it out when I get home from work. Keep you all posted.

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eshoppes mini skimmer is nice intank i donot have biocube im not sure if it would fit. dimensions are on amazon/eshoppes website
This one won't fir b/c the pump is on the side...It needs to be on the bottom just like IceCap K1-NEO Protein Skimmer. Thanks the for the suggestion.

LuisJr80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one might just fit as I believe I have 2-3 inch to play with in that 1st chamber...I'll check it out when I get home from work. Keep you all posted.

Update: This one fit perfectly in my 1st chamber! I have had it running for over two weeks now and doing an amazing job and noticing the difference in my tank parameters and water quality.

Thank you to all who shared your suggestions

Attachments

• 98F6ABDC-305A-410E-A958-9B06A021ADFC.jpeg
    98F6ABDC-305A-410E-A958-9B06A021ADFC.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 55

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back