Need advice ASAP , hammer coral hanging off skeleton

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just came home and seen my branching hammer almost completely out of its skeleton, just hanging on by a thread. He looks OK and was fine yesterday. Whats going on? Should I remove it and glue it to a plug or rock?

It's one of my prized corals I really don't want it to die!

Any advice?

Screenshot_20201204-120454.png

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell like theres been a lot of polyp bail out threads lately. What are your water parameters looking like?

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell like theres been a lot of polyp bail out threads lately. What are your water parameters looking like?
Just tested and everything is fine, all other corals are happy and my nem is too. Seastar is fine as well and he's usually a good indication that something is up. But ye I tested and everything is good, only thing I can't test is calcium as I ran out. I get paid next week so have to order more. It just surprised me as he was looking happy yesterday, although the past few days he hasn't been fully extended. Too much flow? I'm really not sure. What should I do with him

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Everything is fine" doesn't really cut it here if you want legit help. We need actual numbers and a full tank photo can help immensely. Polyp bail out indicates everything is not fine. I know posting the numbers can seem tedious, but it is very helpful.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Everything is fine" doesn't really cut it here if you want legit help. We need actual numbers and a full tank photo can help immensely. Polyp bail out indicates everything is not fine.
PH 8.3
Am 0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.026

Calcium can't be tested

Ive had another look and he looks extended, the lights have literally ramped up to full power, I'll take a full pic but it might be a bit blue

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Everything is fine" doesn't really cut it here if you want legit help. We need actual numbers and a full tank photo can help immensely. Polyp bail out indicates everything is not fine. I know posting the numbers can seem tedious, but it is very helpful.
The lights are too blue at the moment, so here's each coral.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201204-123415.png
    Screenshot_20201204-123415.png
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20201204-123400.png
    Screenshot_20201204-123400.png
    945.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20201204-123345.png
    Screenshot_20201204-123345.png
    841.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20201204-123326.png
    Screenshot_20201204-123326.png
    786.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20201204-123301.png
    Screenshot_20201204-123301.png
    800.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20201204-123245.png
    Screenshot_20201204-123245.png
    803.1 KB · Views: 49

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing alk or mg? If you want to keep coral successfully, you really to be monitoring the "big 3": calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

Part of the reason for a full tank shot, not just individual pics is to get a grasp of the overall health and age of the tank as well as potentially ID any issues that cant be seen in an isolated photo, such as proximity to other coral, presence of pests, etc...

With no further info, I can tell you that polyp will likely fall completely off soon and may or may not grow a new skeleton. The polyps look relatively healthy all things considered.

Get yourself some more test kits or be prepared for more coral losses over time.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing alk or mg? If you want to keep coral successfully, you really to be monitoring the "big 3": calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium.

Part of the reason for a full tank shot, not just individual pics is to get a grasp of the overall health and age of the tank as well as potentially ID any issues that cant be seen in an isolated photo, such as proximity to other coral, presence of pests, etc...

With no further info, I can tell you that polyp will likely fall completely off soon and may or may not grow a new skeleton. The polyps look relatively healthy all things considered.

Get yourself some more test kits or be prepared for more coral losses over time.
Yeah, it completely detached about a half hour ago, I've wedged it in between 2 rocks with low flow and medium light.

I did have a firefish dissappear a few days ago and he hasn't been found since, so I changed the water because I assume he's dead. No trace of him. Otherwise everything seems to be healthy. Thanks for your advice and I'll definitely get some of those kits. Do u recommend any brands.

Hopefully it survives. I'm thinking of putting it in a jar without the lid and let it sit on top of a plug to hopefully let it grow a new skeleton, if it has no flow maybe it might have a better chance at survival. I will blow it with my coral feeder. U think it will work?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Salifert for calcium, Hanna checker for Alk, and aquaforest for Mg.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy I am having the exact same issue.
For over a year my green hammer has thrived, I had purchased an orange hammer and placed it next to the green hammer, in the same location now for some 7-8 months. Both have been growing and doing well. Obviously not the case this past week.
Within the past 72 hours my green hammer shriveled, melted off its skeleton and died, now my orange hammer is suffering the same fate.

Current Parameters.
Sal 1.022 (I know its low.)
Alk Apex 8.98
Alk Hanna HI772 9.4
Ca Apex 382
Mg Apex 1320
PH 8.13 to 8.19 daily swing.

I did have an Alk rise I normally run around 8.5 and it went up to 10.5 over a months time, I have brought it down over the past 3 weeks to todays 8.98.
This was my fault as I have been out of town working and not paying attention and adjusting my dosing. I am using the triton method and have decreased dosing so this is why my other two parameters are also low.

Phosphate Hanna ULR 79ppb Phosphorus converted out to 0.242ppm Phosphate.
Nitrate Hanna 5.0

I was having a Cyano issue and did use ChemiClean six weeks back.
I lost my WilsonI as it was covered and smothered by the Cyano.
GHA took its place but with manual removal and adjusting the lighting hours down from 8 hours to 6 each day it has receded.

I think the chemiClean had an adverse effect overall possibly.
My Rose BTA split a week to 10 days after use, but both are doing fine.

I just dont know aside of a water change asap if I can save the orange hammer.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy I am having the exact same issue.
For over a year my green hammer has thrived, I had purchased an orange hammer and placed it next to the green hammer, in the same location now for some 7-8 months. Both have been growing and doing well. Obviously not the case this past week.
Within the past 72 hours my green hammer shriveled, melted off its skeleton and died, now my orange hammer is suffering the same fate.

Current Parameters.
Sal 1.022 (I know its low.)
Alk Apex 8.98
Alk Hanna HI772 9.4
Ca Apex 382
Mg Apex 1320
PH 8.13 to 8.19 daily swing.

I did have an Alk rise I normally run around 8.5 and it went up to 10.5 over a months time, I have brought it down over the past 3 weeks to todays 8.98.
This was my fault as I have been out of town working and not paying attention and adjusting my dosing. I am using the triton method and have decreased dosing so this is why my other two parameters are also low.

Phosphate Hanna ULR 79ppb Phosphorus converted out to 0.242ppm Phosphate.
Nitrate Hanna 5.0

I was having a Cyano issue and did use ChemiClean six weeks back.
I lost my WilsonI as it was covered and smothered by the Cyano.
GHA took its place but with manual removal and adjusting the lighting hours down from 8 hours to 6 each day it has receded.

I think the chemiClean had an adverse effect overall possibly.
My Rose BTA split a week to 10 days after use, but both are doing fine.

I just dont know aside of a water change asap if I can save the orange hammer.
Yeah, it's confusing to me considering my water quality is on point. It was doing great for months too. It still seems to be alive but is upside down in the sandbed behind a rock next to my watchman gobys home. Which is a deathwish as he always sifts the sand around that area and its to hard for me to get to without removing the rocks and ruining his home. I'll just have to buy another one and hopefully it lives, I've had 1 other hammer before and it melted. I don't have good luck with them. I have no clue what is up. I had a torch that also melted. Maybe I'm not good with lps and I might just give up on them as everytime I buy them they die a few months later for seemingly no reason (obviously there's a reason but I can figure out what) I'll give it one more go. I have the chance to buy a hellfire torch off of someone in my lfs, but I don't want to spend all that money to have it die but I really want that coral. Thinking of setting up a QT for new corals to see how they do over a month or 2, or for new inverts fish ect. I don't want anything bad to happen in my tank, especially my clowns, I've raised them since they where tiny I'd hate to lose them and if a qt is a barrier for that then I'll set one up.

A bit off topic, but I had a coral beauty angel in my tank, done great for a few months then passed. He was really healthy, then I got a six line wrasse who kept scratching his side on the rock, he died a week later, then a few months ago I got my yellow watchman goby and a fire fish, goby is doing absolutely fantastic and he's healthy as can be, and great character. As for the fire fish, he just literally disappeared. He never jumped out of the tank and I couldn't find him anywhere. I assume my snails and cleaner shrimp made short work of him, but again, he died for no apparent reasons as he was eating ect. I want to add a royal gorama to complete the tank. But I'm afraid he will die.

Anyone know what could be the reason for certain fish to die seemingly, being healthy, eating ect?

I always use drip and temp acclamation, I drip for at least an hour, god, I even dripped my seastar for around 3 hours

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt do yo u use?
Also pm me for help
Hello, thanks for ur reply. I've actually just realised that it hasn't melted and is actually in a different part of the tank, my goby must have moved it while sifting sand. Its on the sandbed in between the lr. It's been open fully for the past few days, I don't want to move it or anything incase it desturbs it ank kills. Hopefully that's it getting healthy again. Any chance you know how long it takes to build a new skeleton? So that it can be moved to a better location?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrate is no good on a young tank.
PO4 is also important.

I am not sure I know of any that have regrown a skeleton though I believe that is mostly due to the polyp getting lost than people witnessing it melting.

Back