Need Advice! Considering 90 Gallon To Biocube 32 Downsize

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi all,

Lately life has been getting too busy to keep up with tank maintenance at a pace that my tank needs. This has been a problem slowly in the making, but I have been fighting to keep my tank. However, it is starting to become too much to even consider keeping it. It generally has algae covered glass, overflowing filter socks, and skimmer cup some times overflowing. I swap out the socks, clean the skimmer cup, and scrape the glass. The tank then looks like the pictures included here. This only last for 3-4 days and then back to utter ugliness.

I am considering downsizing to a Biocube 32 and keeping only my clown pair and anemones (the anemones keep splitting and killing SPS anyway). Before the tank ends up taking a turn for the worst and causing me to be completely burnt out on the hobby for awhile, do you think the downsize would be a good move?

20211116_164519.jpg
20211116_164532.jpg
20211116_164600.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you downsize, downsize to a tank with a sump. That way you won't get hosed on the AIO accessories, cleaning and maintenance will be far easier and you can integrate a decent sized RO.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about spending the BioCube $$$ on a filter roller? You’ll eliminate any need to change filter socks and will likely significantly reduce load on your skimmer and, in turn, the need to empty the cup as often.

OP
OP
Sully32

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What about spending the BioCube $$$ on a filter roller? You’ll eliminate any need to change filter socks and will likely significantly reduce load on your skimmer and, in turn, the need to empty the cup as often.
I actually thought about this as an option, but the sump/refugium I have now barely fits under the stand. It is a very tight squeeze and I don't see any way in getting a filter roller under there. That is part of the problem with the socks. It takes like 10 minutes just to pull the socks and let them drain without causing a massive mess inside the stand.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back