Need Advice: First Reef Tank Lighting for Red Sea 425XL

LauriesaurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This is my first post here! My husband is buying me my "dream tank" for our 10th wedding anniversary and we've settled on a Red Sea 425XL. I'm starting to research equipment and pricing out how much this will cost to initially set up and am needing help on picking lighting.

I would like to find a good "starter" lighting setup that will be adequate for a first reef aquarium to support fish and some basic corals and can be upgraded in 1-2 years. I would like something good that isn't super expensive... I know that's a tall order. I've been struggling to find a good guide for what size/brightness/type to get based on the size of your tank.

What are the general guidelines for lighting a tank of this size (it's 47 inches long x 23 inches high x 22 inches wide) and what should I look for when making an informed choice?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This is my first post here! My husband is buying me my "dream tank" for our 10th wedding anniversary and we've settled on a Red Sea 425XL. I'm starting to research equipment and pricing out how much this will cost to initially set up and am needing help on picking lighting.

I would like to find a good "starter" lighting setup that will be adequate for a first reef aquarium to support fish and some basic corals and can be upgraded in 1-2 years. I would like something good that isn't super expensive... I know that's a tall order. I've been struggling to find a good guide for what size/brightness/type to get based on the size of your tank.

What are the general guidelines for lighting a tank of this size (it's 47 inches long x 23 inches high x 22 inches wide) and what should I look for when making an informed choice?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
I’m biased for AI because they are inexpensive, and reliable lights. However when it comes to buying reef LED’s, YOURE essentially paying for the same light strength and spectrum. A little difference among the expensive brands however it’s really the quality of the product you’re investing in. You can tune most LED’s to suit the strength and wavelengths you like for your tank. Type of corals is important also. I’d suggest going with quality and size early and then tune that to your liking. More up front but less in the long run. Typically when I see larger tanks 100+ gal, I see two+ LED’s larger than a single puck. Typically 2-4-6 puck LED’s. Or even hybrid with T5’s. Depends on your preference but I’d suggest two hydra 32’s or XR30’s. You could do a bunch of different things but I think in total, 4 ‘pucks’ of LED’s would be enough light to grow most corals :)

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your just startung off so I would recommend red sea reef led 90 they have presests based on your tank size and easy to use app that let's you select based on corals your growing and color preference and you won't burn any corals

OP
OP
L

LauriesaurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to know which lights you ended up selecting.
Ended up purchasing the Deluxe version of the tank that comes with 2 Red Sea 90 LED lights. It wound up being cheaper than purchasing separately, and I figure if I need more light for corals down the road I’ll add another light.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up purchasing the Deluxe version of the tank that comes with 2 Red Sea 90 LED lights. It wound up being cheaper than purchasing separately, and I figure if I need more light for corals down the road I’ll add another light.
Or you can add t5s.... I own the same tank and same lights with a hybrid t5 fixture

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your RSR 425.

I have one also with 2 Radion XR30’s and 3D printed light shades. Great, powerful lights that grow SPS very well. My neighbor across the street says he can see my aquarium perfectly through the windows at night.

54E92CE8-A242-4B42-B114-917B50A42B63.jpeg

E5F4C728-B4C7-48EA-BBBD-17C956E5E6BD.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back