Need advice for 209 gallon custom reef tank overflow and plumbing.

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone,

I am new at saltwater hobby, just having 6 months 30 gallon FOWLR tank with hob filter. I now i move to new house where I made a place for my new 209 gallon (792liters) custom tank, dimensions 2286mm X 580mm X 680mm(h) = 90inch X 22.83inch X 26.77inch water level i need to be not less than 630mm (24.80inch) because it will have cabinet over it and I don`t want to see water line. Problem is thant I never had tank with sump. So plumbing and overflow and flow turnovers are making lots of question for me. I have read lots of articles and youtube views, just want to be sure i am doing right. I have found guys who will make me custom tank but I need to tell them all dimensions of overflow. I am planning beam animal overflow as I understand its best and silent, and I want it to be in the center because my two sides and long one will be visible. The back will be just few mm from wall, so overflow will be inside tank.
So my (1st) question will be how long weir should I make? My thoughts would be longest 20 inch + both sides 5inch. So maybe I need longer ?
(2nd) What pipe diameters I need for drain? I was looking in waterbox 320 spec. for example and there was 2 drains DN25(1inch) and emergency DN32(1 1 /4inch) and return pipe was DN25(1inch) does it will work for me also? And is this internal diameter or just pipes diameter?
(3rd) Then what return pump I need, my thoughts if my head pressure will be about 10ft. and i am planning manifold in the same return line and pump.(correct me if its bad decision). Pump could be 15000LPH ? Just for example Jebao DCP 15000. or could it be stronger and you just reduce it with controller to not work in highest mode. But then question if someday it may fault and lets say stuck on max and then flood my tank? or my overflow and emergency will be enough to drain if this happen.
(4th) Sump size planning to be 59inch X 19inch X 17.71inch(h) - maybe height would be 16inch enough? And Am I right to make drain from center straight to sump and return pump in right hand more far away from center about 47inch. Sump planning from left to right first Draining to socks or cups, then skimmer(thinking about Reef octopus regal 200int or 250int), then refugium and then return.

So if all in short what size holes do i need to drill for bean animal overflow ? what size bulkhead to choose and what size pipes to choose.

unnamed1.jpg unnamed2.jpg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make the weir 24 inches. 1 inch pipe will be fine for plumbing drains. Make the emergency 1.25 inches.
Size of pump outlet (never go smaller), (bigger will help), will determine return size.
I have a Deepwater BLDC12 pump & only run on 3rd level. Return flow will only be very high with bare bottom. If I turn up the pump the sand moves all over. You really only need enough to feed the protein skimmer & manifolds, the rest should come from powerheads or gyre in the tank.
Sump configuration sounds OK to me, just remember the ATO goes in the pump section because that is where levels change.

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So return pump 15000 LPH it would be ok? And wont flood my tank if stuck on max ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back