Need advice for reliable but affordable doser

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy the Red Sea doser (4) but I see they are now 599$ CAD. That’s 688$ with tax… Right now I‘m dosing All for Reef but I fight as well buy something that will grow if need be.

It needs to be controlled anywhere from an app. Not just when you’re in the house.

What would you recommend ? Is the Kamoer X1 pro 2 a good choice ? I could buy one now and add more later if need be.

Thanks !

Last edited:

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the joyreef project for a diy doser.

Totally worth it, but my initial investment since I started with no solder iron or anything was about $130

But because the chips are sold in packs on amazon where I got them, I have enough stuff to build 6 more pumps with up to 6 heads, pumps permitting.

I planned to do 6 initially but stayed with 4 so i have 2 dosing pumps left over at the moment.

Highly recommend, now I can fix anything on it no problem, and I didn't even know how to solder, i just jumped in.

I would recomend taking his recommendation on using the pre built circuit where you have to chop the motor off it as it seemed slightly easier than buying the IC and making the circuit yourself. But it was also easy to just make the circuit.

If you do take this route, i will definitely help you if you need tips, it was a super fun project and totally fullfilling. Finally having a dosing pump this last week has made a huge difference in figuring out my exact alk and calc consumption and properly employing the balling method. And now I dont have to worry about the reviews of issues from the sub $200 dosers.

If you buy smart, you can honestly make a 4 head as cheap as $60, i just took the route thay got me the fastest shipping. (Unles you also need to buy tools which may run you an extra $35-90 depending on how few tools you have.

Edit: I also went with the cheapest recomended pump heads ($6), and appears to be acurate to .2ml and does not have siphon issues. Sounds like a windup toy when it runs, but with it being in the living room, somehow the wife and kids don't notice it going off so it must still be considered on the quiet end.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the joyreef project for a diy doser.

Totally worth it, but my initial investment since I started with no solder iron or anything was about $130
I admire people who can do that but it’s just not me. I’d be interested to see a picture of your finished project though !

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy the Red Sea doser (4) but I see they are now 599$ CAD. That’s 688$ with tax… Right now I‘m dosing All for Reef but I fight as well buy something that will grow if need be.

It needs to be controlled anywhere from an app. Not just when you’re in the house.

What would you recommend ? Is the Kamoer X1 pro 2 a good choice ? I could buy one now and add more later if need be.

Thanks !
I got 2 of the x1 I think the micros. There great.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a jebao dp-3. Has worked great so far (9 months) but is a royal pita to program. Only $60-$70.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i have a dp-4 and it sits with the other useless stuff in the reef closet. I keep it as a back up. The wifi version is so much easier to use.
I need to look into the wifi version. I mean it’s not difficult but really annoying to program or change programs.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks !
I have 7 kamoers running across multiple reefs. From 2 years old to 3 months old but never an issue with any of them.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple X1 Prop wifi that I like and some X1 Bluetooth both have been bullet proof for me. I see they recently came out with an F1 Wifi as well but have never used it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks !
Ive had past great luck with Jebao which comes in 3 head wifi or 4 head auto

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back