Need Advice Installing Fiji Cube Low Profile External Overflow Box 1200GPH

Caleb1998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to install a bean animal style overflow with this overflow box. I couldn't fit the "u" shaped fittings into the external box and don't know what to do. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Caleb
20210920_120326.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same Fiji Low Pro (but 2400 gph). I run it exactly as your photo shows, with the two bulkhead running as full siphons (with gate vales on the pipes to fine tune) and the gray emergency drain partially flowing (with a ball valve for adjustments, and to close if needed for cleaning, etc.) I Hope that helps. ;)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
81C1BF8F-CA2F-4D5E-99C3-86639CEA4084.jpeg

(Note that currently I run the water level much higher up to where it just trickles into the emergency drain; my water level stays remarkably constant.)

OP
OP
C

Caleb1998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the photo! Do you know if I could just run my overflow box using the diagram above? I thank you for your patience, a lot of this is new to me.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? (Trying to figure whether you will be moving enough water)...

Per your diagram, the most common use would be:

Left: Emergency only (e.g., snail clogs other pipe, pump comes back on and water rises high at first, etc). Valve for cleaning/testing/disassembly.

Middle: Trickle flow; adjust for water height and noise with valve.

Right: Valve fully open or mostly open, so full siphon runs as main drain.

So “Yes,” you can use your method. But I would not glue the pipes— especially the middle one— in case you decide down the line to try a different height, or eliminate it all together.

OP
OP
C

Caleb1998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for a 40 gallon breeder I bought from Petco. I'm planning on using the Sicce Silent 3.0 return pump.

JCrowe86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you've figured out something that works for you by now, but just posting for anyone else to see if they come across your post. Using 1 regular 90 and one street elbow 90 or even just 2 street elbows will work for your U tubes. Just set up my overflow last week and realized I had the same issue but happened to see a picture of one set up with the street elbows so I tried it and it fits. You'll have to angle them but they work.

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same Fiji Low Pro (but 2400 gph). I run it exactly as your photo shows, with the two bulkhead running as full siphons (with gate vales on the pipes to fine tune) and the gray emergency drain partially flowing (with a ball valve for adjustments, and to close if needed for cleaning, etc.) I Hope that helps. ;)
I've got the 1600gph one but on a 90g tank, it's the look I was going for. I tried to do a bean animal w/ 1.5" parts in the overflow box but to no avail! Way to big! I'm reducing to 1" but my question is should I put those bushings in the overflow box in the hopes that 1" will fit?

Back