Need advice on 65 gal reef setup.

irishrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am new here. I’ve looked all over the site but did not find an answer to my question. I am going to setup a 65 gal tall reef tank and need advice on filtration equipment. My cabinets opening is 33Lx13Wx18H. Thinking about getting the Eshopps R-100 reef sump as it fits well within my cabinet. Problem I’m having is finding a good protein skimmer that’s under 18 inches tall. Any suggestions on setting up a new reef tank would be greatly appreciated. Like what equipment might a need etc. I have an extra fx4 canister filter. But I understand a sump is much better for a reef tank?? I also like the idea of a refugium in the sump. Is that a good thing to have? I do have a lot of experience at keeping freshwater fish but have never owned a saltwater aquarium. Thank you in advance for any advice or wisdom you can give me.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a protein skimmer to be effective and short it would need to be really fat. Since fat acrylic tubes are expensive you might not find a factory made unit. Im sure there are people that would make a custom one but it might be pricey.
Sump allows for equipment ( heaters ect.. ) to be placed out of the display for a cleaner look.
I like fuges too.
I canister can work. Many people use them. You just have to clean it often.

OP
OP
irishrover

irishrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a protein skimmer to be effective and short it would need to be really fat. Since fat acrylic tubes are expensive you might not find a factory made unit. Im sure there are people that would make a custom one but it might be pricey.
Sump allows for equipment ( heaters ect.. ) to be placed out of the display for a cleaner look.
I like fuges too.
I canister can work. Many people use them. You just have to clean it often.
Thank you.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am new here. I’ve looked all over the site but did not find an answer to my question. I am going to setup a 65 gal tall reef tank and need advice on filtration equipment. My cabinets opening is 33Lx13Wx18H. Thinking about getting the Eshopps R-100 reef sump as it fits well within my cabinet. Problem I’m having is finding a good protein skimmer that’s under 18 inches tall. Any suggestions on setting up a new reef tank would be greatly appreciated. Like what equipment might a need etc. I have an extra fx4 canister filter. But I understand a sump is much better for a reef tank?? I also like the idea of a refugium in the sump. Is that a good thing to have? I do have a lot of experience at keeping freshwater fish but have never owned a saltwater aquarium. Thank you in advance for any advice or wisdom you can give me.
The skimmer usually sticks up over the sump walls
I use eshops r200, and love it. The limiting factor for height is usually clearance in the sump cabinet to the bottom of the display tank.
Watch your return pump size as the compartment is small.
The refugium design has low flow, which is a good thing

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval cannister filter and it is a pain getting it out and everything, but it does its job and doesn't take up too much room, everything is thriving. I also came from freshwater and set my saltwater up i think 3 months ago now. If you need any advice or questions you can message me. I dont know anything about sumps though.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back