Need Advice on a Proper HOB Protein Skimmer

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32g Biocube that I took the top off of. I am in desperate need of a HOB protein skimmer. What would you suggest? Someone suggested a CPR skimmer. I am looking for other options as well so I can prepate. My biggest issue right now is nitrates and I started to dose NoPox yesterday before I realized it said you need a skimmer for "safe" usage.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32g Biocube that I took the top off of. I am in desperate need of a HOB protein skimmer. What would you suggest? Someone suggested a CPR skimmer. I am looking for other options as well so I can prepate. My biggest issue right now is nitrates and I started to dose NoPox yesterday before I realized it said you need a skimmer for "safe" usage.
Water changes are your best route. Skimmer will definitely help manage in the future but won't reduce them.

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing weekly water changes but I am still looking at high nitrates. I am down to 47ppm from 58ppm after the last change and I change the filter pads every 2-3 days. I go some seachem denitrate media, but that didn't even remotely help that I noticed. The NoPox is a last ditch effort before I do a 50% water change. I heard it works really well. I did plan on getting a skimmer eventually, this is just moving up the timeline.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing weekly water changes but I am still looking at high nitrates. I am down to 47ppm from 58ppm after the last change and I change the filter pads every 2-3 days. I go some seachem denitrate media, but that didn't even remotely help that I noticed. The NoPox is a last ditch effort before I do a 50% water change. I heard it works really well. I did plan on getting a skimmer eventually, this is just moving up the timeline.
I use NoPox and it does work well. However it will take a month of dosing to start seeing the effects. A series of 30% water changes, twice a week will get you in order. Once you have them in the range you want, then the NoPox and skimmer become a big help.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Hey how clean is your tank? Have you vacuumed your sandbed or turkey basted your rockscape or both, a lot of crap can take up residence in both places thus affecting your nitrate numbers. Also do you have a decent test kit? (API is not one the answers) lol. Fyi I maintain many, many tanks. Dirty tanks are bad news.

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week I vaccuum and use a turkey baster when I do the water change. I will admit I have skipped a week before and let it do 2 weeks. At that time I add Seachem Clarity to clean it up when I am done. I change the filter pad the next day to be safe when I do this.

I was using API test kits when I realized how much they suck. I just got the Hanna High Range Nitrate Checker which is what prompted all of this. The tank seems healthy otherwise. I have algae film on the glass as a result of the nitrates (which I clean up when I do the change), but the fish and corals seem to be doing great. I recently reduced my bioload by two fish. Unfortunately, my green bubble tip anemone recently passed which reduced it further.

I also upgraded my lighting to the Kessil A360x. Could I have it on too long? I have it on for about 11 hours a day. Granted, I don't have it programmed yet for sunrise, sunset, etc. Same setting all day.

I love the advice on the nitrates and continue to welcome it, but I would love to know what skimmer to get for my tank. I want one either way, but the usage of NoPox the past two days without one is filling me with anxiety.

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool on the Hanna checker and the Kessil light! So hey is are the remnants of your anemone causing your high nitrates?
I caught the anemone within a day or so of it passing. Plus, per the API tests, the nitrates were previously high (was reading 40ppm). The anemone may have boosted it, but I did the Hanna test before it went to that big coral garden in the sky... errr sea.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AquaMaxx hob is very good and it’s also priced accordingly. A bit pricey. but good. I don’t like dosing NOPOX at all. It’s tedious and messes with the bacteria. also people seem to be forgetting your always supposed to run a good skimmer if carbon dosing.

OP
OP
Nevada Wiseguy

Nevada Wiseguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AquaMaxx hob is very good and it’s also priced accordingly. A bit pricey. but good. I don’t like dosing NOPOX at all. It’s tedious and messes with the bacteria. also people seem to be forgetting your always supposed to run a good skimmer if carbon dosing.
That's my concern. I've dosed 1.5ml yesterday and today. The included instructions recommend a protein skimmer for effectiveness, but when I went to their website today it said the skimmer was necessary for SAFE use. I may stop dosing until I get a skimmer as a result. I don't mind the price tag, I look at it as insurance. I saw a Octopus 100 skimmer that looked good as well. Most of the skimmer I have found, such as the Ice Cap ones, are not HOB but sump instead.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my concern. I've dosed 1.5ml yesterday and today. The included instructions recommend a protein skimmer for effectiveness, but when I went to their website today it said the skimmer was necessary for SAFE use. I may stop dosing until I get a skimmer as a result. I don't mind the price tag, I look at it as insurance. I saw a Octopus 100 skimmer that looked good as well. Most of the skimmer I have found, such as the Ice Cap ones, are not HOB but sump instead.
I service a lot of aquariums and small “out of sump) skimmers just don’t produce! The Aquamax was a recommendation to consider. I’m guessing taller/larger body size of skimmers assists in effective skimming. I’ve got a Bubble Magus Curve 7 in my sump, spectacular! That to say, these smaller hob units should have good track record. Good luck. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back