Need advice on cycling my tank

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. I'll be honest, not something I even thought of nor was it something I saw brought up during my research of starting up a saltwater tank. Any resources you'd recommend for disease prevention
Scroll down the main page a bit, and look for the disease prevention section, and have a read through the stickies. Diseases in marine fish is a real thing and the reason most new reefers quit the hobby. No one likes loosing that new $100 fish in the first couple days. On that same note, people want to go buy a fish and dump it in thier tank and enjoy it, in the marine hobby this often leads to death. It can be done(plop and drop), but it will eventually bite you in the butt.

And as we all know, marine fish are not cheap!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

Kompact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scroll down the main page a bit, and look for the disease prevention section, and have a read through the stickies. Diseases in marine fish is a real thing and the reason most new reefers quit the hobby. No one likes loosing that new $100 fish in the first couple days. On that same note, people want to go buy a fish and dump it in thier tank and enjoy it, in the marine hobby this often leads to death. It can be done(plop and drop), but it will eventually bite you in the butt.

And as we all know, marine fish are not cheap!
Thanks! Disease prevention was not something that ever crossed my mind, so will definitely check it out :D

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K
the instant you add unprepped fish that breaks the disease protocol for the next round that will be added, it’s quite a detailed planning step. If you add only quarantined fish here that keeps up the chain of prep, fallowing and quarantine details from the fish disease forum stickies hold the gold

the reason for this mention of critical planning is because you can read in the fish disease forum entry posts for pages how newly cycled tanks that skip disease preps fare, there’s a large degree of loss we can directly see it as a pattern. if this many fish were lost in the initial cycling approach the hobby would unify around changes to cycling, but since the losses are delayed a few months that allows the issue to be far separated from cycling and as you can tell- few if any cycle umpires ever mention disease preps at all.

That omission/hesitantly circling back to the option if mentioned/ is the actual failed aspect of the cycle approach causing disease losses shortly after.

In my cycling threads and follow up chats things turn out well having matched disease planning to the cycle, so that’s why I relayed the idea to you.

see how the information has been withheld from you here? Cycle umpires routinely encounter the losses but they keep silent, some agenda keeps silent on matters they routinely encounter but any actual attempt to lessen disease losses in newly cycled tanks requires the mention and consideration.

OP
OP
K

Kompact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K
the instant you add unprepped fish that breaks the disease protocol for the next round that will be added, it’s quite a detailed planning step. If you add only quarantined fish here that keeps up the chain of prep, fallowing and quarantine details from the fish disease forum stickies hold the gold

the reason for this mention of critical planning is because you can read in the fish disease forum entry posts for pages how newly cycled tanks that skip disease preps fare, there’s a large degree of loss we can directly see it as a pattern. if this many fish were lost in the initial cycling approach the hobby would unify around changes to cycling, but since the losses are delayed a few months that allows the issue to be far separated from cycling and as you can tell- few if any cycle umpires ever mention disease preps at all.

That omission/hesitantly circling back to the option if mentioned/ is the actual failed aspect of the cycle approach causing disease losses shortly after.

In my cycling threads and follow up chats things turn out well having matched disease planning to the cycle, so that’s why I relayed the idea to you.

see how the information has been withheld from you here? Cycle umpires routinely encounter the losses but they keep silent, some agenda keeps silent on matters they routinely encounter but any actual attempt to lessen disease losses in newly cycled tanks requires the mention and consideration.
Scary stuff. Cheers mate, already looking at setting up a QT :)

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scary stuff. Cheers mate, already looking at setting up a QT :)
You can also check your local stores in your country and see if they quarantine and figure out a plan from there. Some stores also medicate certain types of fish as well before they sell them. My local store Medicates all Tangs before they are sold for at least 2 weeks.

OP
OP
K

Kompact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also check your local stores in your country and see if they quarantine and figure out a plan from there. Some stores also medicate certain types of fish as well before they sell them. My local store Medicates all Tangs before they are sold for at least 2 weeks.
Great idea! Thanks :D

OP
OP
K

Kompact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be plenty of biomedia, yeah.

To be honest, my advice is still to wait until the tank can handle 2ppm ammonia/day. While it is certainly true that 1ppm ammonia/day oxidation capacity is plenty when it comes to feeding, it's still nice to have the buffer in case something dies - like a coral that can 'melt' away very quickly. Of course, a water change could take care of it, but letting nitrification handle it is far easier and less stress-inducing. But hey, that's me. Your choice. ^_^
Hey Azedenkae, if I decide to go down the route of waiting until my tank can process 2ppm ammonia within 24 hours, should I aim to redose 2ppm ammonia every time it hits 0ppm?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to wait though on the 2ppm per day if you dont want to. That sometimes takes a while to get to that point. If you add 1 or 2 fish to your tank they won't make anywhere near that much ammonia a day in your tank. That is truly quite a bit.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back