OP
Irene

Irene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I try to scrub the small rocks and hand pull the big algae clumps but can't remove the big rocks to give them a good scrub, so the algae is really hard to get off. The baster doesn't do much IMO. The algae and detritus seem to collect in certain areas of the tank. Some rocks have very little, and some have more. My tank isn't exactly algae ridden but I just hate the way it looks with the green stuff popping up everywhere. I use RO saltwater and fresh water from the reef store.

OP
OP
Irene

Irene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I try to scrub the small rocks and hand pull the big algae clumps but can't remove the big rocks to give them a good scrub, so the algae is really hard to get off. The baster doesn't do much IMO. The algae and detritus seem to collect in certain areas of the tank. Some rocks have very little, and some have more. My tank isn't exactly algae ridden but I just hate the way it looks with the green stuff popping up everywhere. I use RO saltwater and fresh water from the reef store.
Saltwater must be like playing golf. Sometimes frustrating beyond belief but hard to quit once you get into it!

ChrisRD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon any detritus areas when you do water changes.

Keep in mind newer tanks are a bit tougher too as you do tend to go through various algae cycles in the first year. Just keep working on getting the detritus out, get a better skimmer, ditch the canister, rinse the hang-on filter cartridges every few days, and run some carbon and possibly some GFO in the hang-on filter (will help export phosphate that the algae is consuming).

As mentioned, you might need to add a few more cleanup critters too, depending on what type of algae...

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, patience, simplification and knowledge are the keys to long term success. Recommend reading anything you can get your hands on. Especially recommend the Conscientious Reef Aquarist, this forum and others such as Wet Web Media. Have been in the hobby for decades and still learn new stuff every day. Also would get rid of the canister filter and Bio Wheel. The fewer pieces of equipment that can fail the lower the stress level. Keep it simple and buy quality equipment!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back