Need advice on moving aquarium, new to hobby please help!

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’m new to the hobby just set up my 32gallon biocube with 28 pounds dry rock 30 pounds live sand tank has just finished yesterday cycling had some troubles and confusion with that but I figured it out. Unfortunately I’m moving to a new house in 1 month (just found out) so I need advice on moving the tank, saving bacteria so I possibly don’t have to recycle the tank, should I add acouple fish in it to keep the ammonia up so the bacteria have something to feed on? And any advice on moving the tank to save the bacteria and live sand since it’s all new. Also can I save the water put it in 5 gallon buckets and pour it back in the tank. Also I’m only moving like less than 10 minutes away so not far at all. Sorry for all the questions just want to do this right and I don’t have anyone else I can ask

image.jpg image.jpg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-water into buckets or jugs
-rocks out and into a brute or other heavy tote with lid that is strong enough to hold them with water from tank
-sand in bottom of tank staying wet

Move tank and set back up with new filter media in back (some new good carbon helps clear things back up) and I usually do about a 50%water change when moving a system although you can save it all and monitor water parameters. But without any fish or other life in there it's much more simple than with livestock. Bacteria will be fine :)

OP
OP
Daveouthere

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-water into buckets or jugs
-rocks out and into a brute or other heavy tote with lid that is strong enough to hold them with water from tank
-sand in bottom of tank staying wet

Move tank and set back up with new filter media in back (some new good carbon helps clear things back up) and I usually do about a 50%water change when moving a system although you can save it all and monitor water parameters. But without any fish or other life in there it's much more simple than with livestock. Bacteria will be fine :)
All I have in the media basket is filter floss for right now. Do you think I should keep the filter floss since it has bacteria already on it? And what about continuing to dose the tank with ammonia since I just finished cycling and don’t have anything in their to produce ammonia?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria will survive on its own, it's fairly self sufficient, and will need to stabilize again once you move so I wouldn't dose more for a week or so after. It's also on and in everything so don't worry too much about losing them. When you set your system back up after moving I would see how murky it is and decide if you want to replace filter floss or not. Usually a system is nasty when it gets disturbed in a move, with yours being clean you can probably keep it.

OP
OP
Daveouthere

Daveouthere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria will survive on its own, it's fairly self sufficient, and will need to stabilize again once you move so I wouldn't dose more for a week or so after. It's also on and in everything so don't worry too much about losing them. When you set your system back up after moving I would see how murky it is and decide if you want to replace filter floss or not. Usually a system is nasty when it gets disturbed in a move, with yours being clean you can probably keep it.
Okay thank you so much for all the help and tips, I feel a lot better now knowing more and what do with sand and rock. I’m just still a bit confused about the ammonia thing not sure but I’m trying to understand more I feel better about the bacteria but confused about the ammonia ? Till the move because I’ve already made the bacteria and cycled the tank but keeping the bacteria happy and fed with ammonia till the move part is confusing me

Back