Need advice on new tank fish stocking list - 170g

greyhame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I have done some research and am planning to have the following fish in my 170 gal / 650 ltr reef tank, which has been running for 2-3 months. I've had no ammonia issues (touch wood!).

Anyone see any issues with this so far, and have recommendations on the future fish stocking order or fish count? Do I need to remove some of the snails eventually (since they may compete for algae with other fish)? Am I too optimistic having this many fish together (the total inch/gal is around the limit for my tank, 170 by my estimation)? I will be getting more coral, but my emphasis is on fish, which will have plenty of hiding spaces.

I will give away some of the chromis if the tank will have too many fish.

Already purchased / in tank:
  • Green/blue chromis - chromis viridis x 11
  • Banded damselfish - dischistodus darwiniensis x 1
  • Clownfish - amphiprion ocellaris x 4 (got them all young, no issues so far, will move 2 to another tank if they have issues down the track)
  • Peppermint shrimp - lysmata vittata x 5
  • Sandshifting starfish - astropecten polycanthus x 2
  • Dwarf hermit crabs x5
  • Strombus snails x5
  • Cerith snails x5
Future fish/invertebrate order:
  1. Cleaner wrasse - labroides dimidiatus x 2
  2. Blue tang - paracanthurus hepatus x 1
  3. Convict tang - acanthurus triostegus x 1
  4. Royal Gramma - gramma loreto - x 1 (potentially other basslets too)
  5. Neon goby - elacatinus oceanops x 2
  6. Banggai cardinalfish - pterapogon kauderni x 2-5
  7. Longnose butterflyfish Pyramid butterflyfish x 1
  8. Australian biscuit sea star - pentagonaster dubeni x 1
  9. Fairy wrasses x a few (haven't decided on the species yet - have to work through the compatibility chart)
  10. Mandarinfish - synchiropus splendidus x 2
  11. Moorish idol Schooling bannerfish x 1
  12. Yellow tang - zebrasoma flavescens - x1 when the price drops! :(
Cheers!

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd certainly consider something other than a Moorish Idol if you don't have experience keeping the species...

And a quarantine plan is necessary for a new tank, unless you're acquiring your fish from a trusted, disease-free source.

You're also running a risk of invert predation with that butterflyfish. Perhaps a pyramid butterfly would better suit your needs?

OP
OP
greyhame

greyhame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd certainly consider something other than a Moorish Idol if you don't have experience keeping the species...

And a quarantine plan is necessary for a new tank, unless you're acquiring your fish from a trusted, disease-free source.

You're also running a risk of invert predation with that butterflyfish. Perhaps a pyramid butterfly would better suit your needs?
Yes I already have a quarantine tank :) I would like a Moorish Idol, but will only add that long term, once I am culturing my own phyto and zoo plankton supply and done more research for it.

Ahh good idea with the pyramid butterfly thanks, I'll definitely do that one instead!

OP
OP
greyhame

greyhame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a bannerfish would make a nice substitute for an idol. I just haven't seen too many long-term successes with idols.
Yes I was concerned about the many stories of Idols, but was rather sold on having Gill in my tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. I'll add that one instead, and reconsider the Idol in a few years!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I too optimistic having this many fish together (the total inch/gal is around the limit for my tank, 170 by my estimation)
Saltwater tanks aren't usually stocked by the inch/gallon equation. You need to look at the needs of each type of fish you plan to put in the tank (do they need a lot of swimming room the length of the tank? What part of the water column do they usually inhabit? How territorial are they? etc). From your list, it looks like you're tentatively planning on 32-40 fish, with many different personalities. I'm assuming it's a 6ftx2ftx2ft tank?
Check out @Miami Reef 's build thread... I believe his tank is about the same size and he has a wonderful assortment of fish :)

Good luck!

OP
OP
greyhame

greyhame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater tanks aren't usually stocked by the inch/gallon equation. You need to look at the needs of each type of fish you plan to put in the tank (do they need a lot of swimming room the length of the tank? What part of the water column do they usually inhabit? How territorial are they? etc). From your list, it looks like you're tentatively planning on 32-40 fish, with many different personalities. I'm assuming it's a 6ftx2ftx2ft tank?
Check out @Miami Reef 's build thread... I believe his tank is about the same size and he has a wonderful assortment of fish :)

Good luck!
Cheers will do! Yep its a 6x2x2 tank

OP
OP
greyhame

greyhame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice stocking, any goby? also why 2 cleaner wrasses?
Any gobies that you'd recommend? I had a pair earlier (can't remember what type) but they ate one of my shrimps so I took them back :grimacing-face:

2 cleaners simply because I read that 2 cleaner wrasses are more likely to clean/look after fish / setup a cleaning station than 1? Any opinions on that?

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any gobies that you'd recommend? I had a pair earlier (can't remember what type) but they ate one of my shrimps so I took them back :grimacing-face:

2 cleaners simply because I read that 2 cleaner wrasses are more likely to clean/look after fish / setup a cleaning station than 1? Any opinions on that?
I've never had cleaner wrasse but just thought it would be hard for 2 cleaner wrasse to have enough food from eating pests from the body of other fish.
You already have two sand-sifting starfish so ill go with something that won't sift sand. I like Yasha goby but their prob too small for your tank. Maybe a yellow watchman??

OP
OP
greyhame

greyhame

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had cleaner wrasse but just thought it would be hard for 2 cleaner wrasse to have enough food from eating pests from the body of other fish.
You already have two sand-sifting starfish so ill go with something that won't sift sand. I like Yasha goby but their prob too small for your tank. Maybe a yellow watchman??
Cheers I’ll look into the yellow watchman

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back