Need advice on salt mix

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to the fact I am on a budget here thinking of changing salt mix
From reef crystals to Kent marine.
(Just thinking )I love reef crystals corals are growing good but just looking to save some money since I have a baby coming very soon.
Has anyone used this salt has anyone ever had problems switching salt mix or should I just stick with the ones I have right now ?
I save about 22 dollars

Last edited:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried many many salt mixes and never noticed a difference in the aquarium. My main recommendation when choosing a salt mix is to use a salt mix with parameters roughly equal to your target tank parameters.

I am not sure what you are paying for salt but what has worked well for me for years is good old instant ocean. I have never found a reason to change and it should be cheaper than reef crystals or Kent. I think both Kent and reef Crystals are fine salts but the price difference is negligible when comparing prices online. This may be different in your area however.

Another good affordable salt is fritz.

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried many many salt mixes and never noticed a difference in the aquarium. My main recommendation when choosing a salt mix is to use a salt mix with parameters roughly equal to your target tank parameters.

I am not sure what you are paying for salt but what has worked well for me for years is good old instant ocean. I have never found a reason to change and it should be cheaper than reef crystals or Kent. I think both Kent and reef Crystals are fine salts but the price difference is negligible when comparing prices online. This may be different in your area however.

+1 for Fritz. I have used Fritz and also Reef Crystals. The Fritz is better in my opinion. I get a box of Fritz from my LFS for $55.

OP
OP
J

jorge0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am using reef crystals for my reef tank
But right now they are at 60 $ and the Kent are 34$ both are the 200 gallon mix

+1 for Fritz. I have used Fritz and also Reef Crystals. The Fritz is better in my opinion. I get a box of Fritz from my LFS for $55.
wish I had that good deal here :(
My nearest lfs is like an hour away and all they have is reef crystals and really tight price per bag :(

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using reef crystals for my reef tank
But right now they are at 60 $ and the Kent are 34$ both are the 200 gallon mix

wish I had that good deal here :(
My nearest lfs is like an hour away and all they have is reef crystals and really tight price per bag :(
Just order on line :D

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used Kent salt but I know jack Kent is a genius and would not make something bad. However since he sold the company to Central pet Kent has been down hill in my opinion. Kent is likely a fine salt but I have heard issues of it having ridiculously low alk values. If they have stayed true to the original Kent formula it should be great. If they have tried to cut costs then maybe it’s not so good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back