Need advice on Sump

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am planning a 29 gallon saltwater tank with 20 long sump. I hope for it to be a beautiful reef one day. I would use Marine Depot Overflow Box OF-300 to get water to sump, run through socks in first compartment, lead to skimmer (should I use skimmer, if so, recommendation?) into refuge with live rock and chaeto algae (150w grow light, is this enough?), then a bubble trap leading to return (using jebao water pump connected to jet to return to tank). I would have a RO auto top off (tunze nano) hooked up as well. What are thoughts on set up and any advice or recommendations? Thank you!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with the chaeto and a strong grow light (blue/violet with some red around 660nm), and then work from there as to whether you need a skimmer or not. As for the sump, I would just do something like seachem matrix in a big bag instead of rock (or marine pure, biosponges, etc.).

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with the chaeto and a strong grow light (blue/violet with some red around 660nm), and then work from there as to whether you need a skimmer or not. As for the sump, I would just do something like seachem matrix in a big bag instead of rock (or marine pure, biosponges, etc.).
So start with intake goin through filter socks and then to a compartment full of matrix and then a refuge and then return? Is this what you’re saying?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So start with intake goin through filter socks and then to a compartment full of matrix and then a refuge and then return? Is this what you’re saying?

I was just thinking that you can do a couple bags of matrix wherever in the sump instead of rock (less crowded than rock). IT really doesn't matter where you place it. I have my setup as
sock->refugium with a bag of matrix-> carbon reactor (and more matrix)---> return chamber (I have waste away gel in this chamber and the return pump).

Matrix, marine pure, rock, sponges, crushed coral, etc. are all just homes for bacteria. I prefer matrix as it is durable and space saving but any of the above will work. I have a lot of sand and rock in the display so I probably don't even need the matrix but I had it from the previous tank that my current tank was an upgrade from.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking that you can do a couple bags of matrix wherever in the sump instead of rock (less crowded than rock). IT really doesn't matter where you place it. I have my setup as
sock->refugium with a bag of matrix-> carbon reactor (and more matrix)---> return chamber (I have waste away gel in this chamber and the return pump).

Matrix, marine pure, rock, sponges, crushed coral, etc. are all just homes for bacteria. I prefer matrix as it is durable and space saving but any of the above will work. I have a lot of sand and rock in the display so I probably don't even need the matrix but I had it from the previous tank that my current tank was an upgrade from.
Okay, that sounds good. I have quite a bit of matrix laying around. Do you have a recommendation for carbon reactor? And is a marine depot elite overflow box a good idea? I know they have bad reviews on the gaskets but that’s an easy fix for me. And one more, do you run bare bottom refuge?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, that sounds good. I have quite a bit of matrix laying around. Do you have a recommendation for carbon reactor? And is a marine depot elite overflow box a good idea? I know they have bad reviews on the gaskets but that’s an easy fix for me. And one more, do you run bare bottom refuge?

I have not used their overflow but I am sure someone else has on here. Carbon doesn't need to be in a reactor but I got an aquamaxx FR-S one that hangs on via a magnet and I have no complaints about. There are actually some refugium kits (scuch as the one from fiji cube) that has a media rack available.

My refugium is bare bottom. I once had all of my matrix and a biobrick from brightwell (I do not recommend those) in it making a sort of gravel bed but it was a nightmare to clean since I can't siphon into a bucket at ground level.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used their overflow but I am sure someone else has on here. Carbon doesn't need to be in a reactor but I got an aquamaxx FR-S one that hangs on via a magnet and I have no complaints about. There are actually some refugium kits (scuch as the one from fiji cube) that has a media rack available.

My refugium is bare bottom. I once had all of my matrix and a biobrick from brightwell (I do not recommend those) in it making a sort of gravel bed but it was a nightmare to clean since I can't siphon into a bucket at ground level.
Thank you! I’m basically ready to start building. What media do you use in your reactor?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m basically ready to start building. What media do you use in your reactor?

I use bulk reef rox carbon. I prefer this or red sea reef spec carbon as they rinse very fast have very little dust to begin with. I figured a reactor would be better for me than a bag as I don't do water changes (or at least I do so very infrequently with no more than 1-5 gallons) and I need carbon to remove what my other filter items do not

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Spare time Do you breed any pods in your bare bottom refuge? Is it possible with bare bottom?
They live on the sump walls and the macroalgae. I have a TON of pods (I dose phytoplankton and used to breed pods). I do have a lot of display area for them too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back