Need advice on Tang qt

kadewin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My situation is a little complicated so I’ll do my best to make it as clear as possible. I’ve let my tank go fallow for close to 4 months now and am starting to qt more fish. I’ve got a pair of clowns that are doing great and will be added to my tank tomorrow. Yesterday I bought three fish and got them into a new 40 gal tank. I got one powder blue, one yellow eye Kole, and one blue throat trigger. The powder blue is a juvenile, very small. The lfs had him in a 8 gallon qt. The Kole is much bigger, about 3-4 inches. (The trigger is right in between the tangs, about 2.5 inches or so) The Kole beat up the powder blue overnight and he had blotchy spots on his side. I separated them and put the powder blue into a 10 gallon qt in a different room, but he hasn’t eaten anything all day and he was eating before (in the 40). I haven’t seen the Kole eat at all yet and I really want these fish to make it through qt alive. Any advice on where to go from here? Is there something I can do to get the tangs eating? Will the powder blue bounce back? Should I get another fish in the 40 so the trigger doesn’t start getting picked on?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My situation is a little complicated so I’ll do my best to make it as clear as possible. I’ve let my tank go fallow for close to 4 months now and am starting to qt more fish. I’ve got a pair of clowns that are doing great and will be added to my tank tomorrow. Yesterday I bought three fish and got them into a new 40 gal tank. I got one powder blue, one yellow eye Kole, and one blue throat trigger. The powder blue is a juvenile, very small. The lfs had him in a 8 gallon qt. The Kole is much bigger, about 3-4 inches. (The trigger is right in between the tangs, about 2.5 inches or so) The Kole beat up the powder blue overnight and he had blotchy spots on his side. I separated them and put the powder blue into a 10 gallon qt in a different room, but he hasn’t eaten anything all day and he was eating before (in the 40). I haven’t seen the Kole eat at all yet and I really want these fish to make it through qt alive. Any advice on where to go from here? Is there something I can do to get the tangs eating? Will the powder blue bounce back? Should I get another fish in the 40 so the trigger doesn’t start getting picked on?
kole and powder blue tangs are about same body shape. Tangs of similar body shape ideally should be introduced same size.

I've had my tangs kill other fish, so bouncing back really depends on how extensive internal injuries are following attack.

Recommend next time you introduce fish, use an acclimation box. Even something from recycling with holes for water flow, so you can evaluate aggression. Depending how aggressive your individual tangs are, your acclimation box, acclimation skills and amount of time spent doing Fish Meet and Greet (can be weeks) will all get better.

At this time, take it slow - they need to heal. If you were in a serious car accident yesterday, would you be acting like yourself today - doubt it - give fish same grace.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kole and powder blue tangs are about same body shape. Tangs of similar body shape ideally should be introduced same size.

I've had my tangs kill other fish, so bouncing back really depends on how extensive internal injuries are following attack.

Recommend next time you introduce fish, use an acclimation box. Even something from recycling with holes for water flow, so you can evaluate aggression. Depending how aggressive your individual tangs are, your acclimation box, acclimation skills and amount of time spent doing Fish Meet and Greet (can be weeks) will all get better.

At this time, take it slow - they need to heal. If you were in a serious car accident yesterday, would you be acting like yourself today - doubt it - give fish same grace.
... and, don't beat yourself up over this... while there was a possibility of it happening, it wasn't certain to happen until it did... now you know how your kole will act, Going forward once you are past all this and fish are all in tank, for future new fish you don't yet even own, you may have to pull that kole out to break territory hold and let it 'vacation' in a QT tank for couple weeks, then go back into display tank using an acclimation box.

Annoyingly, powder blue tangs have a reputation of never forgetting a wrong - it may always hate kole for last night's attacks but not be able to do anything about it until years down the road when sizes are more aligned.... but you'll cross that bridge *IF* you need

Everything is always fine in this hobby right up until it isn't. Sending healing wishes your way!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back