Need advice - Preparing for QT

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have a 10g QT. I plan on going to pick out some clownfish on Monday (between Black ice / onyx / something of that sort) and I want to have some med's on hand before I even purchase them. Reason being is that my schedule is sporadic and I cant always make it to the LFS before they close. So I am looking for a good assortment of meds for typical clownfish diseases to be most prepared.

Here is a list of a few items I already have on hand:
- Seachem Cupramine + Salifert Copper Test Kit
- Brightwell Aquatics Cuprion
- Prazipro

From information I have read, I feel like these would also be good to have on hand:
- Ruby Reef Rally
- Coppersafe with API copper Test Kit - or should I just use my Cupramine/salifert test kit
- Metroplex, Kanaplex, Furan-2 and some Seachem Focus

Anything I am looking over? I'd like to stay away from formalin unless absolutely needed

Last edited:

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list is actually perfect. The only other thing that might come in handy would be methylene blue. I personally use coppersafe, but since you already have the cupramine then you can just use that unless you that on stocking a fish in the future that is sensitive to ionic copper.

OP
OP
Jlahr16

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list is actually perfect. The only other thing that might come in handy would be methylene blue. I personally use coppersafe, but since you already have the cupramine then you can just use that unless you that on stocking a fish in the future that is sensitive to ionic copper.

I might just pick up some coppersafe/api test kit, If im not mistaken it is less harsh of a treatment. Never know what kind of fish I may want to stock in the future as well, thank you for your input! Added Kordon methylene blue to the cart

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jlahr16

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the date on the Cupermime and the test kit. You don't want to use something that's way out dated. Good luck. [emoji846]
yeah i think i might just toss the bottle, its brand new, bought it from a LFS and was covered in dust, and there is no Date stamped on the bottle anywhere like my seachem stability bottle has... Better to play it safe than sorry. Thanks for the tip :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just pick up some coppersafe/api test kit, If im not mistaken it is less harsh of a treatment. Never know what kind of fish I may want to stock in the future as well, thank you for your input!
Nothing wrong with having both. I prefer coppersafe since it is easier on most fish but it is harder to test for. The cuprimine is easier to test so you can do better at keeping it at the correct levels.

OP
OP
Jlahr16

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with having both. I prefer coppersafe since it is easier on most fish but it is harder to test for. The cuprimine is easier to test so you can do better at keeping it at the correct levels.
Thanks Brew for some insight, What makes coppersafe more tough to test for? and does Cupramine expire? I can't seem to find an expiration date on my bottle - just checked again

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like you're well set. good luck with it and lets see some pics when the fish are in.
I never found an expiry date on Cupramine but it rarely lasts more than fe months with me. one time I found a very old bottle forgotten in a closet it looked fine but I just discarded it as it wasn't worth the risk.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brew for some insight, What makes coppersafe more tough to test for? and does Cupramine expire? I can't seem to find an expiration date on my bottle - just checked again
Copper products don't "go bad" but they do crystallize in a way that makes them change concentration. If you learn to use and trust your test kits you can compensate for that but I find it easier to just toss it once I see a large amount of crystals.

As for Coppersafe, it will be easier if I just link this.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-dosing-of-coppersafe.309726/

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Reef Rally has acriflavine in it.

I had no idea, thanks for the info. Before being on this forum, I never really heard anyone recommending either of them specially on other forums, and now the more I read here, the more I learn the benefits of it. I just ordered myself a bottle :)

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When/if you have encountered a problem in QT, you want to be sure that you don't cross-contaminate your DT with it some day. If you don't have it already, you'll want a bunch of stuff that will only touch your QT water, such as: siphon hoses, basters, nets, buckets, test kits, air line and stones, filter material, etc.

Also, if you plan on trying to have your clowns host an anemone, starting off in the 10g might have a better chance at being successful than waiting until everyone is in the DT.

OP
OP
Jlahr16

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When/if you have encountered a problem in QT, you want to be sure that you don't cross-contaminate your DT with it some day. If you don't have it already, you'll want a bunch of stuff that will only touch your QT water, such as: siphon hoses, basters, nets, buckets, test kits, air line and stones, filter material, etc.

Also, if you plan on trying to have your clowns host an anemone, starting off in the 10g might have a better chance at being successful than waiting until everyone is in the DT.

Ah yes thanks for the reminder, I do in fact have a separate set of tools for QT only but it never hurts to have that reminder in the back of my head, so thanks! I would love to have an anemone for the clowns but at this time i don't think it's in the playing cards :/

OP
OP
Jlahr16

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper products don't "go bad" but they do crystallize in a way that makes them change concentration. If you learn to use and trust your test kits you can compensate for that but I find it easier to just toss it once I see a large amount of crystals.

As for Coppersafe, it will be easier if I just link this.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-dosing-of-coppersafe.309726/

About the coppersafe; I read that after just getting home from work and it hurts my head to even attempt to understand... ill have to read into that more tonight after I get a little rest haha, But thank you for the link and info, I'm sure it will make more sense later tonight ;Yawn

OP
OP
Jlahr16

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive been at the LFS a few times this week for different items, and a certain clown caught my attention a week ago - he was still there today and still looked healthy as can be, so I bought him and asked the owner to hold it till Tuesday morning while I get my QT tank setup, which I did earlier today. Since I am only going to be getting one clown for now, do you guys think it would be okay to put a Royal Gramma through the QT procedure at the same time or is this not a good mix for a 10g QT?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive been at the LFS a few times this week for different items, and a certain clown caught my attention a week ago - he was still there today and still looked healthy as can be, so I bought him and asked the owner to hold it till Tuesday morning while I get my QT tank setup, which I did earlier today. Since I am only going to be getting one clown for now, do you guys think it would be okay to put a Royal Gramma through the QT procedure at the same time or is this not a good mix for a 10g QT?
I think they should be fine together for going through QT as long as it is not one of the more aggressive clown varieties, like a Tomato.

OP
OP
Jlahr16

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they should be fine together for going through QT as long as it is not one of the more aggressive clown varieties, like a Tomato.
Okay thanks Brew! It's not a tomato, it's a picasso but a little different. Ill post a pic of it tomorrow morning. Just got swindled on some Bio-Spira from the only LFS that had some around. (dont usually go to this place) payed way too much but I guess the availability justifies the price.. my old bottle is about 8 months opened so I am figuring the bacteria is probably no longer active.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jlahr16

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised, here are some pictures of the little guy! The lfs store didn't have any more royal gramma but said he should be able to get me one by Thursday or Friday which is fine with me

e013ea8cdbf7a058862b9ceb9fb6afcb.jpg
0ddb45e3d8398a54494771f2a80ad855.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back