Need advice with mushrooms

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hoping to get some advice. Been in hobby a couple decades and grow out a ton of coral of just about all types...usually successfully. For whatever reason i usually struggle with most any mushrooms in any tank I have. I know we got some mushroom freaks here and hoping maybe someone has some advice.

As an example of my issues. With discosoma usually they stay extremely small. I out one in a tank about 4 months ago. It is now 4 or 5 mushrooms, but none of them ever gets bigger than maybe a nickel. Have tried moving to various light intensity and flow nothing seems to help.

Another example is a few rocks full of rhodactis i got shipped to me recently. They came in and had great color and size, but in the past few weeks have turned pretty much a solid orange and shrunk a lot in size(example pic below came from supplier...this is what they came in like though..now just shriveled up and not nearly as good color)

I have many tanks and pretty much same result in all of them. I have put them in lots of different par light and not seen much difference other than at really high the results were worse than normal. I feed a ton of frozen and powder(reed roids and similar). However i have very high export and my nutrients are normally pretty low(nitrates 0-5 and phosphates usually .03-.1). Do they just need dirtier water? Any other suggestions i should try?

Screenshot_20220712-180316.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what kind of par value they are receiving? What test kit do you use for nitrate and phosphate.

OP
OP
M

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replies!

Any idea what kind of par value they are receiving? What test kit do you use for nitrate and phosphate.

I have tried as low as 50 and as high as 300. I use hanna for both nitrate and phosphate
IME, discos like low light, low flow, and higher nutrients than what you posted.
Thanks. I do wonder if it is just low nutrients as most all my tanks generally stay very low.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think it might be a nitrate issue, try dosing amino acids. You can even mix this with reef roids

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree it's likely the lower nutrients. I have them at various pars and flows but all grow well and get large with "dirtier" water, got a few 5 inchs +

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back