Need advise on how to plumb in a refugium

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started making a DIY 20L sump for my 40 Gal display. I got as far as making the return area and decided that I would like to move the refugium to a separate tank to give more room for the skimmer and roller mat. I have room in my basement to have a separate refugium tank but I am not sure the best way to plumb it in. Also, I am not sure how big to go, another 20 gallon? 29?, 55 stock tank?

Here is what I was thinking:

Option 1: Place both tanks side by side on the same level connected together with bulkheads and 1.5" PVC pipe. This seems like the easiest way and I like how the water doesn't have to be recirculated in the sump. Seems simple (and I like simple) but is it the best method? Should the connecting bulkheads be high, low or middle?

Option 2: Place the refugium tank up a little higher and plumb a 'T' on the return pump to feed it then have it overflow back into the sump. Not too difficult but adds some complexity to the plumbing as well as recirculates water in the sump.

Option 3: Same as option 2 (up higher and overflow back into the sump) but instead of the return pump use a second pump to feed it. Water would still recirculate though but I could also use this pump to feed a reactor. I actually already have a second pump that I was going use when everything was in the display cabinet. Granted, I can still get my money back for this smaller pump but since I already have it I could put it to use.

Option 4: ??

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am really hoping to finish up this weekend so I can get water in my tank.

Thank you

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started making a DIY 20L sump for my 40 Gal display. I got as far as making the return area and decided that I would like to move the refugium to a separate tank to give more room for the skimmer and roller mat. I have room in my basement to have a separate refugium tank but I am not sure the best way to plumb it in. Also, I am not sure how big to go, another 20 gallon? 29?, 55 stock tank?

Here is what I was thinking:

Option 1: Place both tanks side by side on the same level connected together with bulkheads and 1.5" PVC pipe. This seems like the easiest way and I like how the water doesn't have to be recirculated in the sump. Seems simple (and I like simple) but is it the best method? Should the connecting bulkheads be high, low or middle?

Option 2: Place the refugium tank up a little higher and plumb a 'T' on the return pump to feed it then have it overflow back into the sump. Not too difficult but adds some complexity to the plumbing as well as recirculates water in the sump.

Option 3: Same as option 2 (up higher and overflow back into the sump) but instead of the return pump use a second pump to feed it. Water would still recirculate though but I could also use this pump to feed a reactor. I actually already have a second pump that I was going use when everything was in the display cabinet. Granted, I can still get my money back for this smaller pump but since I already have it I could put it to use.

Option 4: ??

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am really hoping to finish up this weekend so I can get water in my tank.

Thank you
Option 3, then you can control the flow, reduce, through the refugium.

Jdubyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not advise option 1. Option 2 or 3 will both work. I personally would opt for option 2 with a gate or ball valve off the T going toward the refugium so you could control the flow. The only reason I would choose 2 over 3 is, I would rather have 1 pump doing the work with another kept in storage as a backup than having 2 that will possibly (eventually) need to be replaced.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 3 allows separate control of the fuge pump from the return pump.
Also, maybe less chance of overflowing the fuge with option 2 inadvertent ball valve tweak.
Only need to size fuge overflow for for smaller pump.
Option 2 is good too.

OP
OP
ReeFaLoT

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input, It is very much appreciated. I do have an extra DC pump so I think I will try option 3 and possibly plumb for a future reactor with it.

Thank you.

OP
OP
ReeFaLoT

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to do the same thing. Any update on this?

I ended up using option 2. My sump is a 20gal Long so I purchased a 20gal Tall for the refugium and placed it right next to it. I put a bulkhead up high on the 20 gallon Tall and plumbed it over to the sump. I tried to use a second pump but it messed with the water levels too much in my sump so I re plumbed my return to feed the refugium. It is working like a champ.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sharing... I plumbed DIY ATS directly off my drain...
3B1431ED-42F0-474F-B777-53F81A15FA4E.jpeg

Last edited:

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using option 2. My sump is a 20gal Long so I purchased a 20gal Tall for the refugium and placed it right next to it. I put a bulkhead up high on the 20 gallon Tall and plumbed it over to the sump. I tried to use a second pump but it messed with the water levels too much in my sump so I re plumbed my return to feed the refugium. It is working like a champ.
Thanks for the follow up! Inquiring minds would like to know...
1. How is the refugium overflow set up

2. What valve do you have running off the return tee?

3. Where in the sump do you have the refugium drain pipe?

OP
OP
ReeFaLoT

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the follow up! Inquiring minds would like to know...
1. How is the refugium overflow set up

2. What valve do you have running off the return tee?

3. Where in the sump do you have the refugium drain pipe?

The refugium is a 20gal Tall which is 4" taller than the 20gal long so I installed the bulk head up high where it can go straight out the side and down into the return section on the sump.
20201115_092443.jpg

The Bulkhead I used was from tractor supply. They call it a 1.5" Bulkhead but the inner threads accept 1.25" inch pipe. It was the same size that is used in my display overflow so I already had the correct size diamond hole saw. The 1.25" pipe size is plenty big enough; however, I could only find 1.5" overflow strainers. I had to cut the threads off of the 1.5" strainer and superglue it to the bulk head. Having the drain like this does create some noise so I cut a piece of foam filter sponge (from an AquaClear HOB filer) and placed it inside the down spout. This worked fantastic and I can no longer hear the water draining. The water level did not rise in the refugium so the foam did not restrict water flow. The down spout is not glued on so I can pull it off and change the sponge if it ever starts to clog.

For valves, there is 1 ball valve used for a shutoff and economy PVC "needle" valves from amazon on each side of the TEE used to adjust flow. Adjusting the flow took a little playing around with but was not to difficult. That extra tee you see capped off was added for a future reactor.

20201115_092853.jpg

I did try using a second pump that was placed in the middle chamber with the protein skimmer. The refugium drained into the return section which did not work at all. The drain has to be in the same chamber as the pump or it messes up the levels in the sump. Instead of moving the drain into the middle chamber I elected to plumb everything off the single return pump. Also, don't mind all those Heaters. I have two larger heaters on order. I started with two 75 Watt which wasn't enough so I added a third. This worked fine until the refugium was added on. I am going with two 125 Watt heaters and will probably put one of these 75watters in the Fuge.

20201115_093214.jpg

I think this answered your questions but I'd be happy to answer any more you may have.

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! That was very thorough and the pictures helped immensely. Im pretty much going copy this lol. Im planning a 40 breeder with 20 long sump. Not sure about what size refugium yet. I kinda want a cube for the dimensions.

My only other question is, is the 1.25" on the main display drain overkill? I was thinking 3/4" for the drains and the return. Maybe I'll up the return since I will tee it off.

OP
OP
ReeFaLoT

ReeFaLoT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! That was very thorough and the pictures helped immensely. Im pretty much going copy this lol. Im planning a 40 breeder with 20 long sump. Not sure about what size refugium yet. I kinda want a cube for the dimensions.

My only other question is, is the 1.25" on the main display drain overkill? I was thinking 3/4" for the drains and the return. Maybe I'll up the return since I will tee it off.

I used a 600GPH Fiji Cube overflow on my display. It uses two 1" drain pipes but the actual hole in the tank for the bulkhead used a 60mm hole saw. The same size I used for the refugium bulkhead.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium is a 20gal Tall which is 4" taller than the 20gal long so I installed the bulk head up high where it can go straight out the side and down into the return section on the sump.
20201115_092443.jpg

The Bulkhead I used was from tractor supply. They call it a 1.5" Bulkhead but the inner threads accept 1.25" inch pipe. It was the same size that is used in my display overflow so I already had the correct size diamond hole saw. The 1.25" pipe size is plenty big enough; however, I could only find 1.5" overflow strainers. I had to cut the threads off of the 1.5" strainer and superglue it to the bulk head. Having the drain like this does create some noise so I cut a piece of foam filter sponge (from an AquaClear HOB filer) and placed it inside the down spout. This worked fantastic and I can no longer hear the water draining. The water level did not rise in the refugium so the foam did not restrict water flow. The down spout is not glued on so I can pull it off and change the sponge if it ever starts to clog.

For valves, there is 1 ball valve used for a shutoff and economy PVC "needle" valves from amazon on each side of the TEE used to adjust flow. Adjusting the flow took a little playing around with but was not to difficult. That extra tee you see capped off was added for a future reactor.

20201115_092853.jpg

I did try using a second pump that was placed in the middle chamber with the protein skimmer. The refugium drained into the return section which did not work at all. The drain has to be in the same chamber as the pump or it messes up the levels in the sump. Instead of moving the drain into the middle chamber I elected to plumb everything off the single return pump. Also, don't mind all those Heaters. I have two larger heaters on order. I started with two 75 Watt which wasn't enough so I added a third. This worked fine until the refugium was added on. I am going with two 125 Watt heaters and will probably put one of these 75watters in the Fuge.

20201115_093214.jpg

I think this answered your questions but I'd be happy to answer any more you may have.
I know this is an old thread, but are you still running this same sump and refugium? Have you changed the way it is plumbed? Did the overflow strainer on the refugium ever back up or have clogging issues? I'm looking at options now on how to plumb a very similar system.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back