Need advise please!!!!!

jfenton954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon corner flow reef tank with versa tops, about 170lbs of live rock 90lbs of live sand. Eshopps 100 sump with 20lbs of crushed coral with a second home made sump that's about 8 gallons with an algae scrubber and a 36 watt uv sterilizer. I was researching how to add more oxygen in the tank to be able to add more fish than one inch per fluid gallon. I read that versa tops hold in the gases and doesn't let the water oxygenate which lowers the ph. That seems to be true because my ph is always dropping. Should I keep the tops or get ride of them.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes remove the tops. You will have more evaporation but it allows for good gas exchange in the water column.

Now as far as what you said about adding more oxygen so you can add more fish, I have never heard of that.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the rule of 1fish per sq inch in the saltwater hobby is a bad idea... it doesnt work the same as it does with freshwater!! some of these fish just need room to swim! not just exist. look into the required tank size for the fish you are wanting before you just go buy crazy!! also i would not haev crushed coral in my sump.... it catches way to much dietris. sand and live rock would be the best thing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back