Need Advise! Tank upgrade/livestock move-Need Advise!

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I pulled the trigger on a Red Sea Peninsula 650. It will be here in about 2 weeks. I’m upgrading from a nano 40 and shutting it down. I have roughly 35 pounds of live rock in my current tank. It is stocked with various LPS and softies as well as four chromis, one Cardinal, CUC and one wrasse. I ordered live sand and 80 pounds of rock. I will not and refuse to do a cycle with fish in the tank. So my thought was this for the transition.

Put the 80 pounds of live rock and the 120 pounds of live sand in the new tank and stick two chunks of live rock from my current tank in the new tank and put the four chromis in there, adding Microbactr7 daily, keeping an eye on the ammonia, trates, trites, etc. When everything is stable, I will add the two other fish from my current set up. The coral will go into the new tank at a later time.

So, for those of you that have swapped tanks before, what was your method? I was also thinking about dosing pure ammonia (no surfactants) into the new tank or raw shrimp to get the cycle started and go about it the long way. Thoughts to those who have done this?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly I’m jealous as ##### .. thats the tank i wanna upgrade too ...Very Nice !!!
As for swapping over if Your going with live rock and sand .. and you add bacteria you should be good too move in a couple of days after setting iT up .. add pure ammonia get Your tank too 2 ppm then test after 24 hrs if its a 0 then you can slowly start moving fish over .. when i upgraded from my 100 ltr too my 350 ltr .. i used dry rock cycled the tank for 10 weeks .. then i moved my existing live rock over left it a couple of days , tested , added pure ammonia , tested then started moving my fish then corals over ..

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took some current live rock and water from water changes when I did my upgrade from 75 to 300gal system. The cycle was never detectable over my 1 week span before I added any fish and everything has been super happy in that tank....ooo I added the refugium sand too as well as a huge ball of my chateo for the fuge too(probably important info).

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time let it cycle don’t rush it remember nothing good happens over night in this hobby only bad things xD

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back