Need an appraisal on this tank

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your in control,you can ask whatever price you want and if you ask for 2k and you sell it then happy days.
If it doesnt sell in a week or 2 then you can lower price and see if sells,if it doesnt keep lowering price till it does sell,all depending how long you willing to store it till it does sell.
But without me looking up/ researching how much other similar products sell for i would only be guessing.
Just from an accounting perspective, rule of thumb is a 5-year depreciation schedule on most equipment.
And like clown school says most products have a life expantancy like a tv /washer machine/ fridge freezer etc is 5 years i believe and a gas boiler i used to tell my customers should get 10 years out of boiler.
So would need to check life expantancy of your equipment or ring the manufacturer up and say " hey quick question,how long life expantancy of your lights,skimmer etc"
Im sure they will tell you.
If i was buying a used anything,then this the information i would be researching as dont want to buy a high quality item for 25-50% of original price but the item is close to or already gone over life expantancy.

Also got option of selling seperately

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the chip is going to get bigger as time goes on ?
There's no way of knowing is the problem. If you used a jewelers loop and looked closely I almost guarantee there are cracks also.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tamberav , do you think the chip on the tank is bad when you look at the picture ?

I personally don't think chip looks that bad and more than likely will not impact on integrity of the structure of tank but for a buyer any chip would scare them and they be worried it gets bigger or leaks at a later date and would be big advantage going to the buyer for them to severley knock price down imo.
And depends where chip is.if its at front or sides on viewing glass,i know some on threads ive read saying a little tiny tiny tiny incy wincy scratch on the glass ,they do not like and takes pleasure out of looking in their tank so they want a new tank.
Im very laid back guy and little scratch or chip doesnt bother me in the slighest but not everyone like me lol

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i read a thread on r2r only other day of someone giving advice to someone who wanting to buy a used saltwater tank/ set up and a guy said this " because of covid and alot staying at home or working from home,there probably been an increase of people buying saltwater tanks and maybe as people know getting back into work and not at home as much they want rid of tank or their tank failed and want to sell it so check face book and craigslist etc for tanks to buy as will get cheap if the market is full of people selling tanks"
So if this is true then supply and demand scenario kicks in as more of one partically product ( saltwater tanks/ set ups) then cheaper it becomes so you will have to research if there is lots of set ups for sale imo
Right. But, in my case, I got a 55 gallon tank, stand, and sump for $100. An item’s “worth” is subjective. As a person that took accounting classes as part of his degree, I ALWAYS factor in straight line depreciation on anything that has a life expectancy (like lights, which is the most expensive, yet depreciable item that is at the end of its expected life). But, it depends on who’s considering it, and why.
The guy I bought mine from was just happy to see someone getting into the hobby and still allows me to contact him with questions on anything. He’s repeatedly said to be most cautious about used lights.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. But, in my case, I got a 55 gallon tank, stand, and sump for $100. An item’s “worth” is subjective. As a person that took accounting classes as part of his degree, I ALWAYS factor in straight line depreciation on anything that has a life expectancy (like lights, which is the most expensive, yet depreciable item that is at the end of its expected life). But, it depends on who’s considering it, and why.
The guy I bought mine from was just happy to see someone getting into the hobby and still allows me to contact him with questions on anything. He’s repeatedly said to be most cautious about used lights.

Yes totally agree 100% and good that the guy was happy to give you cheap and get someone else in the hobby.
Similar to the freshwater tank and set up i sold for really cheap just to help someone else put who wanted to get into freshwater side of hobby.
It makes me hapoy that there good people out there who want to help people,makes me feel good

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chip might be small now, but what are the chances it gets worse when moving it. Just the stress of the tank being picked up and moved could make it fail completely from the chipped area.

( Long shot but it is a possibility)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got into this hobby I was surprised at how much name brand equipment retains its value. I would piece out everything, especially the lights.

you would have to be nuts to buy the tank imo

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP is tank shopping. Based on their other threads I doubt they own this system.

To answer the question: $2k isn’t a bad price if you’re comfortable with the chip. It’s not a once in a lifetime deal though.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t realize you were looking to buy. I would not buy this set up for 2k.

You can find a much better deal if you want to take over a whole set up. When you buy everything at once, people will price the whole lot cheaper (or should).

I bought an entire set up for 1200. It was a Red Sea reefer with sump and all that. Only 20g size but it came with the new full apex and lots of addons for the apex, two vortech MP10 QD, kessil, mixing station, Hannah testers, heater, return pump, RODI, ATO, salt, skimmer, 2 part, additives, and literally boxes of anything he had as he was getting out of the hobby. No chips in the tank and everything was just under a year old. It also came with all the fish in it and rock and corals as it was still running. It included things like a gold torch and yellow hammer.

I parted out what I didn’t need. I used the tank for a year but upgraded. When I sold the extras I actually made more money then I spent originally.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t realize you were looking to buy. I would not buy this set up for 2k.

You can find a much better deal if you want to take over a whole set up. When you buy everything at once, people will price the whole lot cheaper (or should).

I bought an entire set up for 1200. It was a Red Sea reefer with sump and all that. Only 20g size but it came with the new full apex and lots of addons for the apex, two vortech MP10 QD, kessil, mixing station, Hannah testers, heater, return pump, RODI, ATO, salt, skimmer, 2 part, additives, and literally boxes of anything he had as he was getting out of the hobby. No chips in the tank and everything was just under a year old. It also came with all the fish in it and rock and corals as it was still running. It included things like a gold torch and yellow hammer.

I parted out what I didn’t need. I used the tank for a year but upgraded. When I sold the extras I actually made more money then I spent originally.
Yeah that makes sense, I just dont want to get it and the chip gets bigger, or feel like i couldve gotten it a lot cheaper.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP is tank shopping. Based on their other threads I doubt they own this system.

To answer the question: $2k isn’t a bad price if you’re comfortable with the chip. It’s not a once in a lifetime deal though.
Yeah I just dont want to get it and the chip gets bigger thats all, looks good but just worried with it being old feel like i can get it a lot cheaper

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just dont want to get it and the chip gets bigger thats all, looks good but just worried with it being old feel like i can get it a lot cheaper
Chip may not get bigger but as mentioned above,moving the tank could be that just little bit of stress that was needed to make chip /crack grow and fail and once you seen the tank full of water and its been leak tested and you hand money over then its your responsibility.
Always ask seller to fill tank with water preferably for a day or 2 before you buy to see if any leaks appear.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chip may not get bigger but as mentioned above,moving the tank could be that just little bit of stress that was needed to make chip /crack grow and fail and once you seen the tank full of water and its been leak tested and you hand money over then its your responsibility.
Always ask seller to fill tank with water preferably for a day or 2 before you buy to see if any leaks appear.
Okay will do, i will tell him that if he lowers his price haha but thanks for helping really appreciate it !

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that makes sense, I just dont want to get it and the chip gets bigger, or feel like i couldve gotten it a lot cheaper.
Thank of it like a windshield. Every commercial tells you to get it repaired/replaced ASAP because once glass cracks, temperature and stress ALWAYS makes the cracks grow.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back