Need diatom/hair algae help

Reefer_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im following. Im on the same boat as @JFT267.

Been battling for a few weeks now myself. My tank is about 2 months old. Nitrate and Phosphate are 0 (algae consuming) Im going to do a 20% WC weekly and if I dont see a change, then vibrant. I just want this new tank syndrome to be over. Its dejecting.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im following. Im on the same boat as @JFT267.

Been battling for a few weeks now myself. My tank is about 2 months old. Nitrate and Phosphate are 0 (algae consuming) Im going to do a 20% WC weekly and if I dont see a change, then vibrant. I just want this new tank syndrome to be over. Its dejecting.
I feel you man I had the same problems at one point

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False RO removes silicates and phosphates
My R/O gives 6 TDS and was getting algae and diatoms until I bought distilled water but OP said he has ro/di anyways, my tank is also nearly 3 months and was ugly for an entire month then a good water change and cleanup (brushing rocks and shaking in WC water) tank has been spotless since. @Malifry97 any idea what would normally get past an r/o filter and constitute that 6 TDS? I remember reading it’s common for phosphates and chlorine to slip through so that’s what I suggested. Not trying to derail the thread btw I’m sure you’ll get it figured out: )

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My R/O gives 6 TDS and was getting algae and diatoms until I bought distilled water but OP said he has ro/di anyways, my tank is also nearly 3 months and was ugly for an entire month then a good water change and cleanup (brushing rocks and shaking in WC water) tank has been spotless since. @Malifry97 any idea what would normally get past an r/o filter and constitute that 6 TDS? I remember reading it’s common for phosphates and chlorine to slip through so that’s what I suggested. Not trying to derail the thread btw I’m sure you’ll get it figured out: )
I was thinking mainly chlorine but maybe phosphates too now that I think about it

OP
OP
J

JFT267

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I checked it twice and its nothing.. guess the algae doing its job

A2EC6ADE-7AA5-49D8-B037-07FE067B68DF.jpeg

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend reef flux for the GHA. I have been fighting it for months and nothing seemed to get rid of it. 1 recommended dose knocked out every bit of GHA I had in the tank in 15 days and have been GHA free for almost a month now.

Reefer_Rob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend reef flux for the GHA. I have been fighting it for months and nothing seemed to get rid of it. 1 recommended dose knocked out every bit of GHA I had in the tank in 15 days and have been GHA free for almost a month now.
Im leaning towards this or Vibrant right now. I do see 2 brands of Reef Flux online though. One is made by ReefHD and one is made by Blue Life. Which one did you use?

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im leaning towards this or Vibrant right now. I do see 2 brands of Reef Flux online though. One is made by ReefHD and one is made by Blue Life. Which one did you use?
ReefHD is the one I used. 1 capsule for every 10 gallons. Take the meds out of the capsule.

OP
OP
J

JFT267

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I did some scrubbing trying to scrape as much as i can off rocks. I got an idea to test my ro water and it came back pale blue id say like 1 ppm or less, which was the same in my ATO reservoir. I had noticed ATO resevoir has some like film in the water and had recently cleaned with vinegar. is this test normal or should it be zero?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back