• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Need established LR for new pico tank

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm starting a new pico tank and am looking to buy some well-established LR to get things going and introduce some diversity. Ideally, it will be from a system that itself had real LR introduced. Since the tank is small, I need small pieces... Maybe 3-6 inches in size?

I have a bunch of dry rock on the way - happy to trade or something if that's preferred.

Located in middle Tennessee.

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10year old live rock Im sure that would work how north are you in TEnn I’m in HSV

OP
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10year old live rock Im sure that would work how north are you in TEnn I’m in HSV

That sounds great! I am near Murfreesboro, but a little new to the area so not quite sure what/where HSV is :oops:

Whaaa... I called down there, and they have LR! Of course, the worry then becomes about the quality and cleanliness... I assume Petco has a lot of disease in their tanks. Have you bought LR from them before? Or any other experienced that are relevant?

Thanks everyone for the fast replies!! I didn't expect to hear anything for days!

Greg Goby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope but I look at it all the time. Where else can you get live rock straight from a reef? Their rock is covered in coralline and usually a few other types of algae. I actually sat and observed a few pieces for several minutes the last time I went. I probably looked like a wacko but I was curious what was moving around in there. I didn't see much. The pieces were just about the size you are looking for and they have alot distributed amongst all their tanks. It's obvious they're straight from the ocean because some pieces are encrusted with shells and other random marine life. I would check it out as an option for sure, plus you can pick and choose your pieces!

Here's a couple unrelated photos I've taken at Petco that happen to have some live rock in the background. They have really interesting fish sometimes but they are sometimes quite sick.
IMG_4328.JPG

IMG_4991.jpg

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about a hour south of you in Alabama. The rock has been in the tank for 10 years tank has had its ups and downs...but is loaded with pods, and has seen just about everything so should be good bacteria wise lol

OP
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the offer @JustPoprocks. I managed to find an LFS with live rock that was not too far from me, so I don't think I'll need to drive down. I figure it's a good compromise between your rocks and petco. Thanks again!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back