Need fish stocking help from my fellow monster tank owners

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it would be better to ask my fellow monster tank owners for advice with selection of fish. When you look up fish there seems to be some constraints of how many and not if others like this fish are present.
I know that in larger systems like ours that goes out the window a bit.

So from your experiences what can I put together and how many if in groups.

I have 687 gallons of water in my system after everything. I will have lots of fish and corals will mostly be SPS but will all in all be mixed reef with LPS and a small zoa garden maybe. Currently have a Vlamingii male tang 7" a dragonet and couple small fish.

Any advice is helpful and of course I like every fish I see lol especially tangs

Last edited:

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot more information is required to even begin to provide any guidance.

What kinds of fish do you like? Do some research and find out what you need to successfully keep those species.

Do you have a sps, mixed, lps, softy reef? Do you want to run a FOWLR?

How big is the tank? What are you using for filtration?

dazedandconfuzed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brother go with what you like I have 16 different tangs cross hatch triggers blue throat triggers angels all of the non coral eating ones tons of anthias and wrasses. maybe 60 or more fish. Its awesome to sit and watch!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coincidentally just saw your build thread. Can definitely fit a few fish in there! :0)

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brother go with what you like I have 16 different tangs cross hatch triggers blue throat triggers angels all of the non coral eating ones tons of anthias and wrasses. maybe 60 or more fish. Its awesome to sit and watch!
Don't tell the tang police but I'd have every one of them in there if I could. They should just give me a gem tang because I don't have one lol.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest putting together a stocking plan. It can be in your head or written down. I tend to try and add the less aggressive fish first and then work my way into more aggressive species last so they are not in control of the tank when adding new additions. Just remember catching fish can be difficult in a large tank so make your decisions wisely.

Suggestions I would have for a reef tank that size.
  • 5-7 Royal Grammas introduced all at once. Add a nice splash of color and very interesting group behavior.
  • I would add tangs in groups of 3 or more to breakup aggression
  • Add reef safe wrasses in groups of three or more
  • Anthias group
  • Long spine cardinal school

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just updated my current stock list this morning --

o2manyfish - Fish List Mar 2019_Page_1.jpg

o2manyfish - Fish List Mar 2019_Page_2.jpg

o2manyfish - Fish List Mar 2019_Page_3.jpg

You can always try to double check my list by watching the tank on the webcam.

www.o2manyfish.com/webcam --- Aquarium lights come on at 5pm PST and 11am on the weekends.

Dave B

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest putting together a stocking plan. It can be in your head or written down. I tend to try and add the less aggressive fish first and then work my way into more aggressive species last so they are not in control of the tank when adding new additions. Just remember catching fish can be difficult in a large tank so make your decisions wisely.

Suggestions I would have for a reef tank that size.
  • 5-7 Royal Grammas introduced all at once. Add a nice splash of color and very interesting group behavior.
  • I would add tangs in groups of 3 or more to breakup aggression
  • Add reef safe wrasses in groups of three or more
  • Anthias group
  • Long spine cardinal school
You make good points and I’ll definitely keep them in mind.
I did plan on adding the less aggressive fish first as you said. Should make things go a little better.

I had multiple tangs in my 210 display and had no issues. Just want to get some great feedback.
Thanks Alex for your help.

OP
OP
joekool

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just updated my current stock list this morning --

o2manyfish - Fish List Mar 2019_Page_1.jpg

o2manyfish - Fish List Mar 2019_Page_2.jpg

o2manyfish - Fish List Mar 2019_Page_3.jpg

You can always try to double check my list by watching the tank on the webcam.

www.o2manyfish.com/webcam --- Aquarium lights come on at 5pm PST and 11am on the weekends.

Dave B

Dave It’s funny that you post your camera link because I came across it one day and can’t remember where. Man you have lots of fish in that tank and I love it. Your purple tang looks awesome but I’m still looking...

Thanks for adding in your list...

I really want a black tang but not sure I would buy a gem tang because at that point I’d have to buy the wife something of equal value lol. Well guess I see a new Louis purse in her future ...

Are the two clamps keeping in all the fish in. Must hav needed some more bracing.

Last edited:

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 400 so u still have a bit more space... Still IMHO and this is a personal preference, huge fish don't look very nice in a reef tank of that's what ur after. I do have multiple tangs, genicanthus angels, Pyramid butterflies which will grow rather large but I love the look of smaller fish like Anthias, wrasses (they do grow) and schooling fish like a big group of blue eye cardinals (leptacanthus spoon) in a big tank. A cross hatch trigger can look amazing in a large reef tank but then ur limited with inverts... In the end it's ur own preference that will rule. I say checkout the build threads of the tanks in the monster tanks subforum, watch videos of larger tanks for inspiration as well and take it slow and avoid rushed decisions as they are harder to correct in larger tanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dave It’s funny that you post your camera link because I came across it one day and can’t remember where. Man you have lots of fish in that tank and I love it. Your purple tang looks awesome but I’m still looking...

Thanks for adding in your list...

I really want a black tang but not sure I would buy a gem tang because at that point I’d have to buy the wife something of equal value lol. Well guess I see a new Louis purse in her future ...

Are the two clamps keeping in all the fish in. Must hav needed some more bracing.
That’s a Lot of fish!!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recommend schoolers. The best care sergeant majors or chromis but they’re not very nice fish. I have and love a group of anthias. Also firefish gobies although jumpers are gorgeous in groups. A clutch if clowns always a sight but they get aggresy towards each other as they mature. Tangs are good But group in off numbers, 1-3-5 and so forth.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend schoolers. The best care sergeant majors or chromis but they’re not very nice fish.

I don't know that I've ever seen someone recommend another person buy a sergeant major, let alone a group of them. :0) They are vicious.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't know that I've ever seen someone recommend another person buy a sergeant major, let alone a group of them. :0) They are vicious.
About 12 years, had 5 in a 90 gallon and did just fine with three yellow tangs, 3 blue devils, coral beauty and royal gramma. As they get larger (3") as with any damsels can be jerks (mildly putting it)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back