Need help asap with Mccoskers wrasse

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Thursday will mark 3 weeks in qt for him, has been eating good and acting normal since I’ve got it. Turn the lights on this morning and see it like this. Not swimming or anything and breathing fine (not fast or slow). Temp is 79 and salinity is 1.026. Testing amonina right now. Any idea what would cause this? Was acting completly normal yesterday. And help is greatly appreciated and really hope I can save this fish
C16D1F08-1A8D-4011-B426-ECFBD447F911.jpeg
DAA5D1C0-3AA1-403D-88A4-533CE829A0E8.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some food in the tank and it swam right up and ate it no problem. Still acting weird but swimming
Do you have a video of how it’s swimming (Best posting through YouTube then onto here - some of us with iPhones can’t see videos when they’re uploaded straight to here).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He appears to be swimming completely normal to me, my first thought was that he was just simply sleeping but not using a hiding spot (If you can, get this guy Atleast a small rock structure to hide him and help him feel secure at night). These wrasses make mucous cocoons, when you shower those photos at first sight it may appear worrying but under a closer look it is much closer to my suspicion of he was either playing dead or simply sleeping.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He appears to be swimming completely normal to me, my first thought was that he was just simply sleeping but not using a hiding spot (If you can, get this guy Atleast a small rock structure to hide him and help him feel secure at night). These wrasses make mucous cocoons, when you shower those photos at first sight it may appear worrying but under a closer look it is much closer to my suspicion of he was either playing dead or simply sleeping.
That would explain it because it looked like there was a clear film over it this morning, and it’s now gone. I have 3 pieces of pvc in the tank which he swims in sometimes but maybe he doesn’t feel secure in those overnight?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would explain it because it looked like there was a clear film over it this morning, and it’s now gone. I have 3 pieces of pvc in the tank which he swims in sometimes but maybe he doesn’t feel secure in those overnight?
That “clear film” I assume you mean something like this;
618142D4-1A14-47B9-B2EF-032F0AB2C0AA.jpeg

if you do mean that then yes that is the mucous cocoon of your flasher. The mucous in the photo is from my Pseudocheilinops ataenia however most of not all rock sleeping wrasses form this cocoon as a defence mechanism when they’re asleep.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That “clear film” I assume you mean something like this;
618142D4-1A14-47B9-B2EF-032F0AB2C0AA.jpeg

if you do mean that then yes that is the mucous cocoon of your flasher. The mucous in the photo is from my Pseudocheilinops ataenia however most of not all rock sleeping wrasses form this cocoon as a defence mechanism when they’re asleep.
It was on the wrasse all over its head and some on the body but went away as soon as it started swimming

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was on the wrasse all over its head and some on the body but went away as soon as it started swimming
That’s definitely the cocoon, usually the wrasse will happily swim out of it and usually if any gets ‘stuck’ on the body then it tends to just fall off after the wrasse swims for a bit.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back