Need help, can't get control of Phosphates and Nitrates

Michelle B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I could really use some advice from some experts. I have a 25 gallon Peninsula Mini. I ran it fishless for a little over a month with sand and rock, Tim's and ghost feeding every other day before it cycled. The tank is now 4 months old. I have a Nero 3 powerhead in the tank along with the on board return, a UV sterilizer and a Tunze protein skimmer. I have a pair of clowns, a goby, a tiny pistol shrimp I never see, a cleaner shrimp a few snails, a few hermits and recently added a bonded pair of young mandarins. I feed twice a day, a very small amount of extra small pellets in the AM and frozen mysis in the PM. I do weekly water changes 5 gallons with each change. My parameters have been good regarding ammonia at 0, PH and alkalinity all normal range. Nitrites have been running around 0.2, Nitrates are at 10 and Phosphates are are 0.25. I have GFO in a pouch with carbon in my first chamber. I do not have room for any more devices. I have Red Sea NoPox which helps bring it down but when I stop it goes right back up. I'm not sure what else to try to get the tank balanced. Do I move the Nero to the back wall facing forward for more flow? Is it ok to dose NoPox? Is there a more natural remedy to try? Thank you very much in advance :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although not a critical range, Add a med container of chemipure elite and it will keep nitrate and phos in check and polish your water nicely

OP
OP
Michelle B

Michelle B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not generally
Figure that sand is full of detritus which breaks down into nitrates and phosphates. Fixing the problem could literally be as simple as adding sand siphoning to your water change routine. It’s a much better option than adding extra stuff to your tank which could cause a whole different issue as a result.

Explorer12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing wrong with your nutrients numbers at all for a tank of that age.

2 mandarins in a 25g?
You must be feeding pods daily.
Agree. Mandarins are so hard to keep. Especially in a newer tank.

OP
OP
Michelle B

Michelle B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarins are doing great! They are captive bred and I have them trained to eat B2 pellets. They also eat frozen cyclopods and I have live pods in the tank. They are really fun to watch!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back