NEED HELP CHOOSING A ATO FOR NANO

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I've had my 20g long for about 7 months now and I'm looking into getting a auto top off system. As of now I've been doing water changes every week and topping off manually about every 2 days. Everything seems to be going well but I really want to keep salinity stable. Only reason I've been hesitant to get one is because I'm scared it might malfunction and ruin my tank. If anyone has any recommendations on RELIABLE ato's for smaller tanks please let me know.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tunze 3155 on a Nuvo 20 it has some redundancy and pretty good track record. The magnet is a little bit on the big size but I prefer the extra safety feature that comes with it.

Tunze also has a smaller one I believe it's 3152 but that one doesn't have the extra sensor.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used several ATOs but all had three things.
1-a primary optical sensor for water level.
2- a secondary back up mechanical sensor.

To this I always plug my ATO into a $20 multi-timer which you would find on Amazon. I program the multi-timer to power on for 15 seconds only, every hour. You would adjust this interval based on your needs to fill.

This way, if either of the two sensors fail, and at some point they will, your multi-timer will save you from flood.

Weekly, clean the optical sensor, you don’t have to take it out, just use a toothbrush to make sure no build up.

Good ATOs have a clear cap on their mechanical sensors to keep it clean always.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this for my daughter's WB 20 Cube. For whatever reason, the pump wouldn't start up initially. I had to pry it open and fiddle with the rotor, but it's worked fine since then.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the full sized Tunze Osmolator on my AIO hooked up to 5 gallon bucket. Works like a champ- I only top off the reservoir once every 10 days or so.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this one on my nano tanks. I have the optical sensor ones on other tanks, old school float switches just work better imo.. I am sure that is unpopular opinion with the techys.
Only thing that sucks is the pump does not plug in to an outlet, but a coax connection of some sort on the unit, take care of the pump and it shouldn't be an issue, my pump works fine after a couple years and and the JBJ optical ATO that was 150 in its day sits in the shed because again optical sensors are far less reliable imo.

old school is more precise imo as well as far as filling, it doesn't really change, optical seems to be a little more little less, if you are skimming your nano this can become an issue.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icecap/coralvue ATO's are very unreliable in my opinion. I've had mine fail 4 times the last year. They keep charging me shipping to send me the new controller which is the part that keeps breaking.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icecap ATO's are very unreliable in my opinion. I've had mine fail 4 times the last year. They keep charging me shipping to send me the new controller which is the part that keeps breaking.
Definitely won't be getting that one then lol thank you

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think BRSTV did segment on ATO's during their 52 weeks of reefing series. It's what ultimately lead me to purchase the Tunze Osmolator (not the nano version), and I'm glad I went with it.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think BRSTV did segment on ATO's during their 52 weeks of reefing series. It's what ultimately lead me to purchase the Tunze Osmolator (not the nano version), and I'm glad I went with it.
Yea I'm most likely going to go with that

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back