need help choosing powerheads and or gyre

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im making a sps bare bottom 40 gallon breeder and wondering your guys opinion on some good pumps to get. they need to be as quiet as possible but still get the job done.

ecotech is out of the question because it costs too much and seems loud.

was looking into the turbelle nanostreams and jebao and right now im leaning on getting a jebao powerhead in combination with a gyre.

any suggestions on what i should do?

and also how would i position a gyre with a single powerhead?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of bare bottom tanks. I generally have the Gyre pumps pointing down to keep the bottom clean. I would put the Gyre in the middle of the back of the 40g pointing down and set it on random flow. My gyre pumps once I get over 60-70% power they get where they are very audible, wouldn't say loud but you can definitely hear them. I would then use the other pumps for the flow in the upper part of the water column.
Another option would be to run 2 Gyre pumps, 1 on each end. I would run 1 high and 1 lower in the water column. It might take some experimentation but should be able to get great flow everywhere in your tank.

I have a 105g 1/2 Cylinder that I run 2 of the smaller Gyre pumps and 2 controllable Tunze. On my other tank which is 155g 1/4 cylinder I run two of the larger gyre pumps and 4 MP40s. The smaller tank is mixed and the larger is SPS.

One thing that is helpful to see the flow, put an air stone in the tank and watch the bubbles and you can get a pretty good visualization of the flow you are creating and can make adjustments to get flow everywhere. On my SPS tank I get very little detritus build up and vacuum it out every 4-6 months. I can usually get the 1 or 2 spots where a little collects with only pulling out a couple of gallons.

Good luck with your pump selection.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of bare bottom tanks. I generally have the Gyre pumps pointing down to keep the bottom clean. I would put the Gyre in the middle of the back of the 40g pointing down and set it on random flow. My gyre pumps once I get over 60-70% power they get where they are very audible, wouldn't say loud but you can definitely hear them. I would then use the other pumps for the flow in the upper part of the water column.
Another option would be to run 2 Gyre pumps, 1 on each end. I would run 1 high and 1 lower in the water column. It might take some experimentation but should be able to get great flow everywhere in your tank.

I have a 105g 1/2 Cylinder that I run 2 of the smaller Gyre pumps and 2 controllable Tunze. On my other tank which is 155g 1/4 cylinder I run two of the larger gyre pumps and 4 MP40s. The smaller tank is mixed and the larger is SPS.

One thing that is helpful to see the flow, put an air stone in the tank and watch the bubbles and you can get a pretty good visualization of the flow you are creating and can make adjustments to get flow everywhere. On my SPS tank I get very little detritus build up and vacuum it out every 4-6 months. I can usually get the 1 or 2 spots where a little collects with only pulling out a couple of gallons.

how often do you clean your gyres?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you clean your gyres?
I don't clean them often enough - maybe every 6-8 months. They are not my main flow so as long as they keep the bottom clean I don't worry about them. If they were my main flow I would do every 6-8 weeks. For the smaller ones I have an extra set of heads so it is easy to swap out and let the dirty ones soak for a couple of days in citric acid.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im making a sps bare bottom 40 gallon breeder and wondering your guys opinion on some good pumps to get. they need to be as quiet as possible but still get the job done.

ecotech is out of the question because it costs too much and seems loud.

was looking into the turbelle nanostreams and jebao and right now im leaning on getting a jebao powerhead in combination with a gyre.

any suggestions on what i should do?

and also how would i position a gyre with a single powerhead?
in that size of tank a small gyre likely won't have to be pushed to 30% which will keep it quiet and push a ton of water.

imo your pumps are undersized.
in a 4ft 120g i have 2 medium sized maxspect gyres and they don't need to be pushed over 40% for a sps dominant tank. i also find past that they get louder than i'd like and also are considerably harder on the bearings and gromets.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back