TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i am in need of some advice.
i have a 80 gallon reef tank with working lights, Wave maker and heater
Here is the problem.
I ordered two return pump so my sump with a reefmat, skimmer and reservoir which should have been delivered yesterday, but UPS said that they can’t find the package.
My clownfish is coming tomorrow but the sump, skimmer and reef mat is is not working yet until a week or two.

My salinity is 1.025
0.2 ammonia
1.5 nitrate
8.25 PH

How can I make the two clownfish and the blue electric hermit crab survive?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the powerhead and heater in your display. You don't need a sump to run a reef tank. Add some Bio-Spira today and you should be fine tomorrow for 2 fish and a hermit.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the powerhead and heater in your display. You don't need a sump to run a reef tank. Add some Bio-Spira today and you should be fine tomorrow for 2 fish and a hermit.
100% agree.

Throw the heater in the display until you can get the return pump, and sump up and running.

All a sump is, is a place to hide equipment from the display. Nothing says you can't put the equipment in the display till you get the sump online.

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thank you for the reply. I don’t have any biospira thought? I have a life rock inside

OP
OP
TbSaysNo

TbSaysNo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree.

Throw the heater in the display until you can get the return pump, and sump up and running.

All a sump is, is a place to hide equipment from the display. Nothing says you can't put the equipment in the display till you get the sump online.
Alright so I’m good if I just do a water change or two while I wait for the return pump?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thank you for the reply. I don’t have any biospira thought? I have a life rock inside
Bio-spira is carried by many LFS and Petco's etc...it's free overnight delivery if you have Prime as well. Fritzyme turbostart is another good option. Absent bottled starter bac, you will have to monitor ammonia closely, but you will likely be fine with just 2 small fish in an 80G. Don't add anything more for awhile though.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sump is really just your filtration. you can keep fish in the tank without filtration, but just keep in mind, you wont have anything to clean the water, so you might have to keep up with water changes. if youre using an api test kit, the .2 ammonia may be no big deal, but if you add some bottled bacteria just in case, i wouldnt worry about the .2 as long as you have cycled this tank, of course. bottled bacteria should get you on a fast track to make sure you have ammonia eating bacteria, but just keep an eye on things.
i dont know if you have cycled this tank while you were waiting on your sump, so that would have a big change in the outcome. if you havent cycled, a small quarantine tank in the meantime might be a good option as well. most you will have to do with that is water changes to keep ammonia down, but that would require you to buy a 10g tank, and hob filter.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back