Need help! Cyano? Dinos? Chemiclean? H2O2?

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this outbreak of bubble algae. Since I have a 16 gallon tank, I can't stock any herbivorous fish, so I resorted to Vibrant. While Vibrant was slowly killing off the bubble algae, I realised everything was starting to get covered in this rust colored layer. It formed over the sand, exposed rock, everthing. The only thing it didn't cover was the corals. (and the two clowns of course).

I tried a 2 day blackout. Did nothing.
I tried dosing 1ml per 10gallons of H2O2 for about 2 weeks. Did nothing.
I took some out and put into a glass with some tank water and shot about 5 ml of H2O2 in it. about an hour later, I could have sworn I saw a pink tint to the water, but I couldn't observe any longer as my wife cleaned out the glass accidently...
I finally got my hands on some chemiclean. Raised the skimmer cup all the way up, and added 1.6 scoops into a 50ml syringe, sucked it full of tank water and shook it up. Injected it into my wavemaker and immediately noticed a TON of micro bubbles. Ok, I thought, thats expected. so far so good.

72 hours later, not a dent in that reddish rust colored later. 30% water change, and slowly lowering my skimmer cup to skim out the excess chemiclean.

Realised I didn't remove my tray of brightwell xport PO4 cubes.

Took it out of my canister filter and starting 2nd dose of chemiclean this morning.

Anyone got any advice?

Below pics are all as of this morning after 1 dose of chemiclean.
Parameters all seem to be ok, my Po4 is at 0.09.

20210530_104406[1].jpg
20210530_104346[2].jpg
20210530_104338[1].jpg
20210530_104331[1].jpg

Allmypie89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this outbreak of bubble algae. Since I have a 16 gallon tank, I can't stock any herbivorous fish, so I resorted to Vibrant. While Vibrant was slowly killing off the bubble algae, I realised everything was starting to get covered in this rust colored layer. It formed over the sand, exposed rock, everthing. The only thing it didn't cover was the corals. (and the two clowns of course).

I tried a 2 day blackout. Did nothing.
I tried dosing 1ml per 10gallons of H2O2 for about 2 weeks. Did nothing.
I took some out and put into a glass with some tank water and shot about 5 ml of H2O2 in it. about an hour later, I could have sworn I saw a pink tint to the water, but I couldn't observe any longer as my wife cleaned out the glass accidently...
I finally got my hands on some chemiclean. Raised the skimmer cup all the way up, and added 1.6 scoops into a 50ml syringe, sucked it full of tank water and shook it up. Injected it into my wavemaker and immediately noticed a TON of micro bubbles. Ok, I thought, thats expected. so far so good.

72 hours later, not a dent in that reddish rust colored later. 30% water change, and slowly lowering my skimmer cup to skim out the excess chemiclean.

Realised I didn't remove my tray of brightwell xport PO4 cubes.

Took it out of my canister filter and starting 2nd dose of chemiclean this morning.

Anyone got any advice?

Below pics are all as of this morning after 1 dose of chemiclean.
Parameters all seem to be ok, my Po4 is at 0.09.

20210530_104406[1].jpg
20210530_104346[2].jpg
20210530_104338[1].jpg
20210530_104331[1].jpg
Get an air stone and run it the entire 48 hour period during the chemiclean tretmant. I tried chemiclean 2 times before with no air stone and it did nothing. After treatment with an air stone the cyano is completely gone...for now lol

OP
OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an air stone and run it the entire 48 hour period during the chemiclean tretmant. I tried chemiclean 2 times before with no air stone and it did nothing. After treatment with an air stone the cyano is completely gone...for now lol
Even though my skimmer is still running and foaming up the water as usual? Just the cup is moved really high up so as not to overflow...

Allmypie89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though my skimmer is still running and foaming up the water as usual? Just the cup is moved really high up so as not to overflow...
I had the airstone in the display. Maybe the skimmer doesn't meet the threshhold for adding oxegen to the system? Just a theory.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad was the bubble Algae, cuz now you got BA and what looks like cyano. How long the tank up for? BA thrives in nutrient rich water. Do you use RODI?

What's your parameters? You say they all seem ok, so what are they? What methods you use to test?

Chemiclen should be last resort (IMO) and through my research. Have you tried increasing flow (for cyano), manual removal, increasing water changes? Turkey basting? Sand sifting?

I feel for you. Like a lot of our worst nightmares on here -- good luck tho.

Giving a full breakdown including numbers is good on here, people like to give their personal analysis when they have the bigger picture.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 5 ml of H2O2 in it

What percentage H2o2 did you use ? 3% ? I have had good success treating Cyano with 6% h202 dosed every 12 hours.
before dosing chemiclean it is always good to manually remove as much as possible. that gives you good chance that it will not populate again rapidly.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just finished my Chemiclean treatment forGreen cyano. it worked extremely well. i don't know why i waited this long lol. But i also only have a 10 gal with just a HOB. fish and corals did not seem affected at all during the entire process. Sand is back to being super white again.

OP
OP
legrunt

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad was the bubble Algae, cuz now you got BA and what looks like cyano. How long the tank up for? BA thrives in nutrient rich water. Do you use RODI?

What's your parameters? You say they all seem ok, so what are they? What methods you use to test?

Chemiclen should be last resort (IMO) and through my research. Have you tried increasing flow (for cyano), manual removal, increasing water changes? Turkey basting? Sand sifting?

I feel for you. Like a lot of our worst nightmares on here -- good luck tho.

Giving a full breakdown including numbers is good on here, people like to give their personal analysis when they have the bigger picture.
I've got clusters of bubbles here and there. Some are behind my rockwork, so not easy to get to.

Tank is about 1.5 years old now...

Yes, RODI. With inline TDS meters at source, post RO and post DI. Incoming is about 50ish, post RO is about 2 and post DI is zero. Tested for Po4, using HI774, its zero.

Parameters are
Alk (Hanna) 12
Cal (Hanna) 426
Mag (Nyos)1395
Nitrates (Nyos) 4
Phosphates (Hanna) 0.09
Salinity (Hanna) 1.026
Temp (Chiller readout) 25-26 c
PH (Hanna) 8.1

What percentage H2o2 did you use ? 3% ? I have had good success treating Cyano with 6% h202 dosed every 12 hours.
before dosing chemiclean it is always good to manually remove as much as possible. that gives you good chance that it will not populate again rapidly.
I tried 3%, cos that's what's mostly turned up in searches. Not sure if I can find 6%, but even at 3% my zoas were peesed off severely...

i just finished my Chemiclean treatment forGreen cyano. it worked extremely well. i don't know why i waited this long lol. But i also only have a 10 gal with just a HOB. fish and corals did not seem affected at all during the entire process. Sand is back to being super white again.
Good! I'm hoping for that outcome too... Although my sand has got black mixed in... lol

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got clusters of bubbles here and there. Some are behind my rockwork, so not easy to get to.

Tank is about 1.5 years old now...

Yes, RODI. With inline TDS meters at source, post RO and post DI. Incoming is about 50ish, post RO is about 2 and post DI is zero. Tested for Po4, using HI774, its zero.

Parameters are
Alk (Hanna) 12
Cal (Hanna) 426
Mag (Nyos)1395
Nitrates (Nyos) 4
Phosphates (Hanna) 0.09
Salinity (Hanna) 1.026
Temp (Chiller readout) 25-26 c
PH (Hanna) 8.1

I tried 3%, cos that's what's mostly turned up in searches. Not sure if I can find 6%, but even at 3% my zoas were peesed off severely...

Good! I'm hoping for that outcome too... Although my sand has got black mixed in... lol
Sucks dude. Hope it works out. When I used vibrant...I literally used half the recommended dose for clean tanks...and dosed once every 2 weeks. Only dosed 3 times. I feel like if I continued I'd have problems.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 58 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.4%
Back