Need help cycling a tank

Peluza0531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble finding information on cycling a saltwater tank with a sump and refugium. I know that you have to add copepods, macro algae, and the beneficial bacteria. My question is do you also add the beneficial bacteria to the display tank? Or do you just add it to the refugium and let the sump cycle the water.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble finding information on cycling a saltwater tank with a sump and refugium. I know that you have to add copepods, macro algae, and the beneficial bacteria. My question is do you also add the beneficial bacteria to the display tank? Or do you just add it to the refugium and let the sump cycle the water.

First, welcome to Reef2Reef! #WelcometoR2R

welcome (3).png

To cycle your tank you do NOT need copepods, macro algae or bacteria (from a bottle).

Adding bacteria will speed up the development and shorten the cycle. So it's perfectly OK to do, just not absolutely necessary!

You can have algae in the refugium if you like, but it certainly is not necessary at this point. It can be added later.

And I would certainly not add copepods until after the tank has cycled. Just like you shouldn't add fish or corals or even snails. The ammonia and nitrite spikes are likely to kill them.

Algae in the refugium and copepods (in the tank or refugium... or both) are great things to be doing, but I wouldn't suggest doing them while you are cycling the tank. I'd wait at least a month after you are sure the tank is cycled. Don't rush the process.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's all just a slow ride starting up I suggest the raw shrimp method to get the cycle going if you have all dry rock , also get some live stones as well you'll get alit of your critters that way too.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read 1st thread here, all the info you need and then some is there

OP
OP
Peluza0531

Peluza0531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to Reef2Reef! #WelcometoR2R

welcome (3).png

To cycle your tank you do NOT need copepods, macro algae or bacteria (from a bottle).

Adding bacteria will speed up the development and shorten the cycle. So it's perfectly OK to do, just not absolutely necessary!

You can have algae in the refugium if you like, but it certainly is not necessary at this point. It can be added later.

And I would certainly not add copepods until after the tank has cycled. Just like you shouldn't add fish or corals or even snails. The ammonia and nitrite spikes are likely to kill them.

Algae in the refugium and copepods (in the tank or refugium... or both) are great things to be doing, but I wouldn't suggest doing them while you are cycling the tank. I'd wait at least a month after you are sure the tank is cycled. Don't rush the process.

OP
OP
Peluza0531

Peluza0531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for responding and helping me out. But Im still a little confused. Do I out the bacteriA in the display tank or the refugium?

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I dumped a whole bottom of Dr Tims in my sump when the water in my tank hit the correct temperature. I have a 200 gallon tank. I then tested my water every 2 days. I added two clown fish after 12 days because all my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings were 0ppm

Madd20s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read 1st thread here, all the info you need and then some is there

This thread is amazing, I Have a question that wasn't answered in that thread. Do I run all my filter media during the Nitrogen cycle? I cant find info on this. thanks

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for responding and helping me out. But Im still a little confused. Do I out the bacteriA in the display tank or the refugium?
I put it in the display tank. The bacteria will live in the rock and sand. If you add some marine pure blocks, you can add those and some to sump too

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 158 62.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.3%
Back