Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

rob1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering which type of the bigger angels I could keep on my 6 foot 125 gallon tank…any suggestions welcomed.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering which type of the bigger angels I could keep on my 6 foot 125 gallon tank…any suggestions welcomed.

Any genicanthus, regal, flagfin/goldflake. For me regal is the best if you can get a healthy one!

ReefAqua2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 175 gallon reef tank which is about 3 years old. I had it maintained by a professional service and took over full independent maintenance in early December. I've added a few frags and that's worked, so now I'm ready to try to add fish myself. I have 3 blue green chromis, powder blue tang, purple tang, tomini tang, 2 clown fish, benghai cardinal, royal gramma, diamond goby, lawnmower blenny, and a foxface. Would love some recommendations as to what fish you'd add to this crew. thank you!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 175 gallon reef tank which is about 3 years old. I had it maintained by a professional service and took over full independent maintenance in early December. I've added a few frags and that's worked, so now I'm ready to try to add fish myself. I have 3 blue green chromis, powder blue tang, purple tang, tomini tang, 2 clown fish, benghai cardinal, royal gramma, diamond goby, lawnmower blenny, and a foxface. Would love some recommendations as to what fish you'd add to this crew. thank you!
Those are some aggressive tangs. Anything you add will need to be with an acclimation box.
A Halichoeres wrasse (go to liveaquaria and search Halichoeres for options)
Perhaps fairy wrasse
I would consider a genicanthus angel or maybe a pair too.

Melissa31595

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! :cool:
We have a Sailfin tang currently and we’re thinking about getting a yellow tang but there is info out there that says not to pair the two unless you have a large enough tank. I know our tank is too small for the sailfin tang in general because it’s a 125g and they need a minimum of 180g but we didn’t purchase the fish. The tank and everything in/with it came along.

So two questions:
Do we get a yellow tang?
Do we find a good home for the sailfin?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a Sailfin tang currently and we’re thinking about getting a yellow tang but there is info out there that says not to pair the two unless you have a large enough tank. I know our tank is too small for the sailfin tang in general because it’s a 125g and they need a minimum of 180g but we didn’t purchase the fish. The tank and everything in/with it came along.

So two questions:
Do we get a yellow tang?
Do we find a good home for the sailfin?
Sailfins get massive so you may want to consider rehoming.

As for the yellow if you add it with the sailfin you want the yellow to either be bigger or put it in an acclimation box for a couple weeks. However there are no guarantees. Personally I’d get a Foxface instead. Better yellow, prettier face, no aggression, and far less likely to be beat up by the sailfin.

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank(30/12/18") that I'm planning on plumbing to a 10G sump with refugium and I'm trying to decide on a stocking list, here's some fish I'd like to keep,

Possum Wrasse pair OR
Pink streaked wrasse pair,

1-2 red rooster waspfish (i have read of hours of info on these guys and would like to keep 1-2 of them)

Twinspot goby?(read that they can be difficult to feed and I plan on getting them long after the tank matures)

I know some of these will not work together/in this size tank but would like your advice,
Would like to hear other fish suggestions

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank(30/12/18") that I'm planning on plumbing to a 10G sump with refugium and I'm trying to decide on a stocking list, here's some fish I'd like to keep,

Possum Wrasse pair OR
Pink streaked wrasse pair,

1-2 red rooster waspfish (i have read of hours of info on these guys and would like to keep 1-2 of them)

Twinspot goby?(read that they can be difficult to feed and I plan on getting them long after the tank matures)

I know some of these will not work together/in this size tank but would like your advice,
Would like to hear other fish suggestions
So the one issue I see is that the wrasse may eat the food the twinspot dragonets would eat. Otherwise that sounds like an awesome list. Maybe get a regular goby. Firefish, vampire, yasha are all awesome

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back