Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need your opinion on adding or making a small list of fish to add. I am looking to throw something in quarantine shortly so here's what I'm working with. I have a 90gallon tank with coral. My fish consists of a Sailfin Tang, 2 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 clown, 1 Hawaiian Tang, six line wrasse, and a cleaner shrimp. I also have some CUC. I do like wrasses but I might have made a mistake by adding a six line first. I also believe I'm maxed out on Tangs.

Blue spotted jawfish?
Convict Goby?
Midas blenny?
Any angels?
Anthias?
Black cap basslet?
Mandarin?
Anything I should avoid or you should suggest?

Thanks
The sixline will limit what you can add. It will complete for pods and be aggressive to the Mandarin. It will be aggressive to a basslet and possibly the Midas depending on the size of the Midas.

The Genicanthus genus is the only genus of angels that are reef safe, but I wouldn't add one to a tank with established tang. Any other angels are a risk to corals.

Blue spotted jawfish need cooler temps than standard reef tanks. Consider a tiger, dusky, or pearly jaw instead.

djorijun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had purchased this beautiful Neon Blue Velvet Damsel. But prior to doing so, I did some research because I'd heard damsels were aggressive. Well, according to my searches this particular was supposed to be fine with my Frostbites. Brought this guy home, did the normal routine, finally let it in the tank and bingo, the frostbites and this damsel got along. They were living in perfect harmony, up until two nights ago when I saw him cowering in one of the caves. I checked him and he looked like he got beat up a little. I tried grabbing him, but no success. I left for a phone call and came back and he was gone. Took me a while, but after searching further, he was dead. Instantly my fit shrimp got a hold of him and did his cleaning up. I guess my question is, why did my clowns take him out all of a sudden? Here's what he looked like.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+114&pcatid=114

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had purchased this beautiful Neon Blue Velvet Damsel. But prior to doing so, I did some research because I'd heard damsels were aggressive. Well, according to my searches this particular was supposed to be fine with my Frostbites. Brought this guy home, did the normal routine, finally let it in the tank and bingo, the frostbites and this damsel got along. They were living in perfect harmony, up until two nights ago when I saw him cowering in one of the caves. I checked him and he looked like he got beat up a little. I tried grabbing him, but no success. I left for a phone call and came back and he was gone. Took me a while, but after searching further, he was dead. Instantly my fit shrimp got a hold of him and did his cleaning up. I guess my question is, why did my clowns take him out all of a sudden? Here's what he looked like.

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+114&pcatid=114
Clownfish' territoriality and aggression increases when they are getting ready to spawn. What size tank? Also that species of damsel can be pretty aggressive.

IronChefItaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
28 gallon

I started with a small pair of clownfish in my 40 gallon. Added a few fish including a pintail wrasse. Months of peace went by until just one week the clownfish started relentlessly chasing the wrasse. Caught and placed them in my quarantine system with some livestock until I was able to upgrade to a 50 gallon. They're now nearly fully grown and I haven't had trouble with them since. It's all territory, perceived threat and breeding behaviour.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if i can keep Midas Blenny with Black Sailfin Blenny together in 58 gallon tank? I know they both peaceful but don't want to risk it.... Also, planning to quarantine them together.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea if i can keep Midas Blenny with Black Sailfin Blenny together in 58 gallon tank? I know they both peaceful but don't want to risk it.... Also, planning to quarantine them together.
How big is the qt? The 58g tank is borderline for both together if added simultaneously. So a small qt would be problematic if not using a divider.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,Thx! I probably pass than... Quarantine tank is only 10 gallon! Which one is easier to keep or maybe more useful?

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could add a long spine urchin to the tank below but am worried about him. Any thoughts would be nice; about the addition or my current state of things

Corals
-Current: mushrooms, Zoas
-Future(will easily abandon if needed): Toadstool coral

Fish:
-Current (healthy): 2 engineers, watchman goby with tiger pistol shrimp, firefish, maroon clown, One-Spot foxface
-Current (not sure how they are alive but I love them now): Fancy Guppy, 2 gold banded gobies
-Future (already ordered): 2 yellow headed jawfish
-Future (want): Flame angel, mandarin goby
-Future (depends on this answer): pajama Cardinals
-SN: I know that is a lot of fighting for sand bed space but it's working so far

Inverts:
-Current: 2 Hawaiian feather dusters, blue legged hermits (full grown), flame scallop, Long Tentacle Anenome, Sea Hare, pistol shrimp mentioned earlier, 1 turbo snail, 2 Babylonian snails, 4 astera snails
-Future (ordered): A second Sea Hare
-Future (will give up): Tridacta clam (pardon my spelling), long spine urchin

Tank Specs:
-55 gallon with deep sand bed
-Sump that holds 20 gallons of water with live rock and macro algae
-Will be adding a second sump this weekend to grow more feeding macros
-Algae Turf Scrubber (will also be used for feeding when fully established)
-Activated Carbon in case Sea Hares ink

Feedings:
-Morning: 2 cubes of frozen Emerald Entree (omnivore)
-Noon: 1 cube of frozen plankton, spot feed dusters and scallop
-Night (hour after lights out): Algae clip for sea Hare
-All day macro grazing (back-up cultures in sump)
--Calupera Prolifia (sorry about spelling)
--Dragon's breath
--Hair Algae from scrubber (not yet but soon)
--will eventually (this month) get Ulva

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I could add a long spine urchin to the tank below but am worried about him. Any thoughts would be nice; about the addition or my current state of things

Corals
-Current: mushrooms, Zoas
-Future(will easily abandon if needed): Toadstool coral

Fish:
-Current (healthy): 2 engineers, watchman goby with tiger pistol shrimp, firefish, maroon clown, One-Spot foxface
-Current (not sure how they are alive but I love them now): Fancy Guppy, 2 gold banded gobies
-Future (already ordered): 2 yellow headed jawfish
-Future (want): Flame angel, mandarin goby
-Future (depends on this answer): pajama Cardinals
-SN: I know that is a lot of fighting for sand bed space but it's working so far

Inverts:
-Current: 2 Hawaiian feather dusters, blue legged hermits (full grown), flame scallop, Long Tentacle Anenome, Sea Hare, pistol shrimp mentioned earlier, 1 turbo snail, 2 Babylonian snails, 4 astera snails
-Future (ordered): A second Sea Hare
-Future (will give up): Tridacta clam (pardon my spelling), long spine urchin

Tank Specs:
-55 gallon with deep sand bed
-Sump that holds 20 gallons of water with live rock and macro algae
-Will be adding a second sump this weekend to grow more feeding macros
-Algae Turf Scrubber (will also be used for feeding when fully established)
-Activated Carbon in case Sea Hares ink

Feedings:
-Morning: 2 cubes of frozen Emerald Entree (omnivore)
-Noon: 1 cube of frozen plankton, spot feed dusters and scallop
-Night (hour after lights out): Algae clip for sea Hare
-All day macro grazing (back-up cultures in sump)
--Calupera Prolifia (sorry about spelling)
--Dragon's breath
--Hair Algae from scrubber (not yet but soon)
--will eventually (this month) get Ulva
The urchin eats a lot of algae and so do sea hares. The conventional guidelines for seahares is 1 for 50g+, so two in a 55g and then adding a longspine is a lot of inverts that need a lot of algae in their diet. I would strongly suggest holding off on the urchin until the system matures more and you know for sure that you can provide for all their algae needs.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The urchin eats a lot of algae and so do sea hares. The conventional guidelines for seahares is 1 for 50g+, so two in a 55g and then adding a longspine is a lot of inverts that need a lot of algae in their diet. I would strongly suggest holding off on the urchin until the system matures more and you know for sure that you can provide for all their algae needs.

Alright. I I feed my hare nightly and was going to double the amount when I get the second. I love herbivores so I'm getting algae in my refugium and am thinking about a second to mass produce them. Hopefully It will go well and I can support the urchin at a later date

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody keep Yellow Striped Cardinals or Chalk Basslets? How long do they live? Are they better in pairs or 5 group(cardinals)? Also, where they usually stay in tank?
Is Chalk Basslet flatworms eater? That's what i heard at LFS.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody keep Yellow Striped Cardinals or Chalk Basslets? How long do they live? Are they better in pairs or 5 group(cardinals)? Also, where they usually stay in tank?
Is Chalk Basslet flatworms eater? That's what i heard at LFS.
The cardinals are better in prs, as long as they are a bonded pr, but also fine kept singly.

Chalk basslets do not eat flatworms.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can they be kept in in the group od 5 ? i see liveaquaria has like trios fish for sale pretty often.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can they be kept in in the group od 5 ? i see liveaquaria has like trios fish for sale pretty often.
I have found that 2 pr up and kill the others with this species. Not as quickly as bangaiis do, but enough that I wouldn't buy more than a pr.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided my next tank will be a reefer 350. This is stocking wish list, is it too much? It's sooo hard narrowing it down.

Ruby red head wrasse (currently outgrowing my biocube 32)
Flame angel
Coral beauty angel
Kole eye tang
Squaretail bristletooth tang
Either a blue leopard or scott's fairy wrasse
Two black ice clowns

Is that way too much? Are there any incompatibilities between these fish or any specific order they should be added in?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided my next tank will be a reefer 350. This is stocking wish list, is it too much? It's sooo hard narrowing it down.

Ruby red head wrasse (currently outgrowing my biocube 32)
Flame angel
Coral beauty angel
Kole eye tang
Squaretail bristletooth tang
Either a blue leopard or scott's fairy wrasse
Two black ice clowns

Is that way too much? Are there any incompatibilities between these fish or any specific order they should be added in?
Scott's fairy wrasses don't keep their colors in captivity and are also pretty jerky to other wrasses. Skip it.

The tank isn't big enough for 2 dwarf angels and 2 tangs. Pick one of each.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott's fairy wrasses don't keep their colors in captivity and are also pretty jerky to other wrasses. Skip it.

Oh, really? That's good to know. What about a solorensis wrasse? Saw each of these at the LFS the other day and both were very pretty.

The tank isn't big enough for 2 dwarf angels and 2 tangs. Pick one of each.

That's kind of what I figured, but hubby was hoping for both, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, really? That's good to know. What about a solorensis wrasse? Saw each of these at the LFS the other day and both were very pretty.

That's kind of what I figured, but hubby was hoping for both, so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!
Solorensis and ruby head are within the same complex of species within the genus, so more closely related than other fairy wrasses. As such, unless the tank is 150+g, there may be a greater liklihood of aggression.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back