Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

christy.alm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I thought having a 36 gallon tank was big compared to my time consuming and needing 5 gallon tank but I swear all the fish I like require a huge tank and now I am stuck with just baby size fish. I have two clowns, 5 different types of damsels, 1 goby and a neon dottyback a few emerald crabs a few snails and about 2 hermits. Oh and dont forget my decorator crab who hides in the back of the tank instead of at night... Is there really much else I can put in there and what will get along with these? the only nice ones in the tank are the two midnight damsels everyone else can be a little more aggressive... I had to put the orange and blue baby size damsel in the 5 gal tank as it was being attacked by the larger one who had already been in the tank... what a bully. Any suggestions would be appreciated

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I thought having a 36 gallon tank was big compared to my time consuming and needing 5 gallon tank but I swear all the fish I like require a huge tank and now I am stuck with just baby size fish. I have two clowns, 5 different types of damsels, 1 goby and a neon dottyback a few emerald crabs a few snails and about 2 hermits. Oh and dont forget my decorator crab who hides in the back of the tank instead of at night... Is there really much else I can put in there and what will get along with these? the only nice ones in the tank are the two midnight damsels everyone else can be a little more aggressive... I had to put the orange and blue baby size damsel in the 5 gal tank as it was being attacked by the larger one who had already been in the tank... what a bully. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Having 5 damsels and 2 clowns already makes it difficult to add much to a 36g, as all those can be territorial. Unless you rehome some that's about all it can handle. Maybe a cleaner shrimp or a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pr can work.

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of obtaining a 3 gallon pico and saw a tiny 3" remora (reminds me of the 6" pleco I got for my old 1 gallon set up) at local petsmart. I was wondering if I can get it for the 3 gallon tall. Just kidding. Lineatus Super Male more suitable for a 54 gallon Red Sea Reefer 250 or 88 gallon Red Sea Reefer 425 XL? If it can have ample swimming room in the 54 gallon that'll be nice.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of obtaining a 3 gallon pico and saw a tiny 3" remora (reminds me of the 6" pleco I got for my old 1 gallon set up) at local petsmart. I was wondering if I can get it for the 3 gallon tall. Just kidding. Lineatus Super Male more suitable for a 54 gallon Red Sea Reefer 250 or 88 gallon Red Sea Reefer 425 XL? If it can have ample swimming room in the 54 gallon that'll be nice.
A lineatus will be cramped in a 54g tank, they are pretty active. The 88g will be better.

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 long with 2 clowns. What else would go good in there? And how many fish can I get in there?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 long with 2 clowns. What else would go good in there? And how many fish can I get in there?
It depends on individual personalities and your tanks ability to handle bioload, but some possible tankmates would include: stigmatura blenny, watchman goby/pistol shrimp pr, firefish, clown goby, neon goby.

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't blennys and gobys bury in sand, cause I have hawaii black sand which is more like pebbles

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't blennys and gobys bury in sand, cause I have hawaii black sand which is more like pebbles
Some of these species create burrows, thouh there are many species in these 2 groups that don't use sand at all. And this sand is fine for those species that do use sand.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other cool fish I could put in a 20long
What else is in the tank? Some possibilities include: yellow assessor, a group of barnacle blennies, a stigmatura blenny, neon goby, watchman goby/pistol pr.

M4rtin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 250,Display tank 55gal, tank size 36x21x20
First reef tank, these cought my eye, which order should I add them to tank ?

-Sixline Wrasse
-Clownfish
-Exquisite Firefish
-Blackcap Basslet or Purple Dottyback or Orchid Dottyback (undecided)
-Yellow Tang (will be moved to Reefer 450 once I finish basement construction)
-Multicolor or Flame Dwarf Angelfish

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 250,Display tank 55gal, tank size 36x21x20
First reef tank, these cought my eye, which order should I add them to tank ?

-Sixline Wrasse
-Clownfish
-Exquisite Firefish
-Blackcap Basslet or Purple Dottyback or Orchid Dottyback (undecided)
-Yellow Tang (will be moved to Reefer 450 once I finish basement construction)
-Multicolor or Flame Dwarf Angelfish
Sixlines get quite aggressive.

Firefish should go first.

Choose the orchid dottyback over the purple. Add simultaneously with the gramma.

Tang goes last.

Angel second to last.

M4rtin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines get quite aggressive.

Firefish should go first.

Choose the orchid dottyback over the purple. Add simultaneously with the gramma.

Tang goes last.

Angel second to last.

Where on this list would sixline wrasse and clownfish fit ?

1. Firefish
2. Orchid Dottyback
3. Angel Dwarf
4. Yellow Tang

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where on this list would sixline wrasse and clownfish fit ?

1. Firefish
2. Orchid Dottyback
3. Angel Dwarf
4. Yellow Tang
Clownfish after the firefiah.

Are you 100t on the sixline? They can become problematic. There are plenty of other options that can fit that niche'. If you are certain you want the problems that a sixline entails, then add it last.

M4rtin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish after the firefiah.

Are you 100t on the sixline? They can become problematic. There are plenty of other options that can fit that niche'. If you are certain you want the problems that a sixline entails, then add it last.

I would love one, but if they become a problem than maybe I'd rather skip it and find replacement.
I'm gonna have enough on my head as it is starting new tank, don't need additional headache with aggresive fish.
Thanks for help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back