Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

simonsays

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a tomato clown, but a better pic would help. If it is, they are reef-safe, but one of the more aggressive clown species.

Every time I pulled the camera out that little **** turned! I was afraid it was some type of dwarf angel. Was alarmed the people at the fish store didn't know what it was. . .

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They will live just fine without a shrimp.
Help me out please. My son just got our 8 gallon. His dream fish are mandarins,eels, and ywg. Do you think a small ywg and pikeblenny would work in his tank? Any suggestions would be great! I'd like to show him pics and let him choose.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me out please. My son just got our 8 gallon. His dream fish are mandarins,eels, and ywg. Do you think a small ywg and pikeblenny would work in his tank? Any suggestions would be great! I'd like to show him pics and let him choose.
Those 2 will be fine.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it will be fine. I recommend trying to use as many small to mid size rocks or even pvc to create as many caves as you can. It will reduce the territory agresstion between the two and make the blenny feel secure so it comes out more.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be fine. I recommend trying to use as many small to mid size rocks or even pvc to create as many caves as you can. It will reduce the territory agresstion between the two and make the blenny feel secure so it comes out more.
Pike blennies are open sand dwellers, so prefer open sand space.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They live in open sand beds with worm tubes. But in an aquarium we can not provide worm tubes so a cave created by Pvc and rocks are the next best choice.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They live in open sand beds with worm tubes. But in an aquarium we can not provide worm tubes so a cave created by Pvc and rocks are the next best choice.
The most commonly available ones in the hobby actually just bury in the sand, ignoring cover provided. And most of the time they are out in the open.

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon cube. I have a red head solon fairy wrasse or solon wrasse, a baby six line wrasse and a flame hawkfish. I know the sixline is semi-aggressive, I am not sure if I should add my inverts? I have a cleaner shrimp 3 trochus snails and 1 small hermit.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon cube. I have a red head solon fairy wrasse or solon wrasse, a baby six line wrasse and a flame hawkfish. I know the sixline is semi-aggressive, I am not sure if I should add my inverts? I have a cleaner shrimp 3 trochus snails and 1 small hermit.
If the sixline is small the inverts should be fine for now, but the sixline will be problematic in the future.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The most commonly available ones in the hobby actually just bury in the sand, ignoring cover provided. And most of the time they are out in the open.
Should we expect him to behave about like our Tailspot Blenny in our other tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we expect him to behave about like our Tailspot Blenny in our other tank?
No, pike blennies spend all of their time on the sand. Stigmaturas are mostly on the rocks.

Pike blennies will ignore all other fish except other pike blennies.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, pike blennies spend all of their time on the sand. Stigmaturas are mostly on the rocks.

Pike blennies will ignore all other fish except other pike blennies.
Thank you. I saw they are one of your favorites, so I did some googling.

AC0DX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I am setting up a 90 gallon reef tank. I would like to have a FoxFace, soft and lps corals. What are other good livestock to add around the FoxFace?

KurtH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my first tank, a 120g 48" mixed reef tank. Going to be using Triton with a home made sump using a 40 gallon Breeder. Equipment is all set and mostly here. Just waiting on the tank. I am looking to get some feedback on my stock list and the order I am putting things in the tank. After some feedback and reading this thread I have come up with this:

Chalk Bass Serranus tortugarum 3
Royal Gramma Basslet Gramma loreto 1
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish Ptereleotris heteroptera 3
Snowflake Ocellaris Amphiprion ocellaris 2
Midas Blenny Ecsenius midas 1
Yellow Tang Zebrasoma flavescens 1
Yellow Eye Kole Tang Ctenochaetus strigosus 1
Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura 1
Linespot Flasher Wrasse Paracheilinus lineopunctatus 1
Pacific Redstripe Hogfish Bodianus sepiacaudus 1

The Hogfish is up for debate. I would pass on it and do a Foxface or Pyramid Butterfly.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I am setting up a 90 gallon reef tank. I would like to have a FoxFace, soft and lps corals. What are other good livestock to add around the FoxFace?
There are many good options. Fairy and flasher wrasses, anthias, midas or starry blenny, yellow coris wrasse or melanurus wrasse, watchman goby, etc.
I am setting up my first tank, a 120g 48" mixed reef tank. Going to be using Triton with a home made sump using a 40 gallon Breeder. Equipment is all set and mostly here. Just waiting on the tank. I am looking to get some feedback on my stock list and the order I am putting things in the tank. After some feedback and reading this thread I have come up with this:

Chalk Bass Serranus tortugarum 3
Royal Gramma Basslet Gramma loreto 1
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish Ptereleotris heteroptera 3
Snowflake Ocellaris Amphiprion ocellaris 2
Midas Blenny Ecsenius midas 1
Yellow Tang Zebrasoma flavescens 1
Yellow Eye Kole Tang Ctenochaetus strigosus 1
Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura 1
Linespot Flasher Wrasse Paracheilinus lineopunctatus 1
Pacific Redstripe Hogfish Bodianus sepiacaudus 1

The Hogfish is up for debate. I would pass on it and do a Foxface or Pyramid Butterfly.
The list looks good except for the hogfish. I recommend against them for a mixed reef.

dream.reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think a flame angel will be fine In 20 long with corals a snowflake eel and 1 large clown and bangi do you think they will be any problems and do you think it will be fine in a tank that size

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think a flame angel will be fine In 20 long with corals a snowflake eel and 1 large clown and bangi do you think they will be any problems and do you think it will be fine in a tank that size
I don't think either the flame angel or snowflake eel are a good fit for a 20g.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back