Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Discussion in 'New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here' started by mdbannister, May 8, 2015.

1. Zack Klabunde

Zack Klabunde The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

So I have a 75 gal with 2 chromis, a little clown goby, and a clown. I just ordered a few fish. I was wondering in what order I should add them. I plan on QT in a 40gal stock tank and doing treatments in a 10gal. The fish that arrive in Tuesday are:

3 more Chromis
    Red Stripe Anglefish
    Orange spot Sandsifter goby
    Firefish
    Saddleback butterfly

I would like to add a blenny/ Mandarin in the future but that’s later down the line.

2. Austin Wiant

Austin Wiant Active Member

I was thinking about getting a Christmas wrasse for my 50 gallon

currently have:
    1 Clownfish
    1 six line wrasse
    3 baggai cardinals
    2 fire fish

Zoanthids
    Torch coral
    Gsp

Also would 2 clown Gobies be okay in this tank. I want to get a yellow and a green

3. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Firefish and diamond goby first.
    Butterfly next,
    Angel last,
    Chromis can be added anytime.
    The clown gobies should coexist. However a sixline may be problematic to any new additions.

A sixline and christmas wrasse in a 50g together will likely result in fighting.

4. truepercs

truepercs Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

"I don't think trying to add conspecifics to established fish is a good idea, especially in a tank as small as 45g."

OK... Thank you, perhaps it is something I can try if I ever set up a larger tank...

5. tlanz

tlanz Member

Would appreciate some advice on my fish plan. I've got a 75g DT and 25g sump. ~75lbs of live rock in the DT. So far only soft corals and looking to add some LPS in the months to come. Tank is up and running 2 months. So far I've got 3 chromis, 2 small clowns and a flame angel. In the next few months I wanted to add an anemone for my clowns, a niger trigger, and then lastly a few tangs at the same time- purple, yellow and maybe naso. Assuming these fish are added over the next 3-4 months and he tanks stays predominantly soft coral and LPS is this a reasonable plan? I've got a good skimmer (although it's not removing much given the new tank and low nitrates) and using a uv sterilizer 5-6 hours a day.

6. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

In that size tank, only one tang will be able to be housed at a time. A naso will greatly outgrow that tank. The yellow or the purple tang are borderline appropriate for that size tank.

A Niger trigger will outgrow a 75g.

Be watchful when adding LPS. Flame angels have been known to nip LPS.

Jimmyneptune, Zack Klabunde and tlanz like this.
  7. Zack Klabunde

Zack Klabunde The LPS Guy R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Careful. The tang police may come. Any tang houses in a tank under 125 gallons is considered “Inhumane”. But I do agree with @eatbreakfast with his advice.

tlanz likes this.
  8. Idoc

Idoc Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Finishing up around 7-8 weeks quaranting my first 2 tank inhabitants...clowns. They will be the tank's (75g) first fish and will have the run of things. I would like to go ahead and get another fish to start it in the quarantine process.

My wife has chosen a Midas Blenny as the next fish. Is this a good choice to add at this time of a tanks life cycle (new tank)? Anything to be concerned about with this fish...ie: aggression, dietary requirements, prone to diseases, etc...? Does it limit me on future additions?

9. eatbreakfast

A Midas blenny is an excellent choice. It doesn't limit much. It may or may not coexist with other members of it's own genus, Ecsenius.

Idoc likes this.
  10. Idoc

Idoc Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

Thanks! I was watching one in a large display tank and really liked its personality and beautiful movements.

Zack Klabunde and eatbreakfast like this.
  11. Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Double-checking this list of fish will be okay for a Reefer 250:

In Quarantine
    -Blue Gudgeon Dartfish (trio)
    -Gold Assessor Basslet
    -Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse

Planned
    -Yellow Watchman Goby
    -Starry Blenny
    -Geometric Pygmy Perchlet
    -Clownfish pair (not sure if I want to even go here, as everything else on this list is peaceful - would it be a disaster?)
    -Mandarin Dragonet (once tank matures) -- will anyone else on this list compete with the Mandarin for pods?

12. eatbreakfast

That list is good. The Tanaka's Wrasse will eat some copepods, but should still be fine with the Mandy if you wait to add the Mandarin 6+ months after the tank is setup.

13. Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Thanks TJ! With that list & tank size, would a pair of clowns be a bad idea, or ok as long as I realize the clowns will rule the tank?

eatbreakfast likes this.
  14. eatbreakfast

As long as you are prepared for the clowns to rule, it should be fine. Ocellaris and percula are smaller and better behaved species.

Giraffe0621 likes this.
  15. pluikens

pluikens Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Need some advice on the order of fish to add to my 40G DT with 20G sump. I am interested in keeping these fish with various soft corals and LPS (acans/lords).

Currently have in DT:
    2x Percula Clownfish
    3x Pajama Cardinalfish

I want to add:
    Flame Hawkfish
    Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
    Melanurus Wrasse
    Bartlett's Anthias

Does anyone see an issue with adding the four fish listed above to the existing 5? I know this will be a heavy bioload but I'm wondering if it can be done with the right equipment (besides a larger tank or oversized sump). Can the fish be added in the order they're listed in or would a different order be better? Keep in mind that these wouldn't all be added at the same time but rather one at a time with weeks apart. Thanks!

16. eatbreakfast

As long as the tank can handle the bioload, those should work. Add the goby first, order of the others doesn't matter.

pluikens likes this.
  17. MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank Well-Known Member

@eatbreakfast I have a 125g mixed reef. In my tank I have 2 clowns, 1 sailfin tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 hippo tang, 1 diamond sand sifting goby, tailspot blenny, 4 chromiss, 1 coris wrasse, 1 flasher wrasse and one cleaner wrasse. My husband fell for an exquisite wrasse while at the lfs. Does anyone see an issue with adding the exquisite wrasse? We have no aggression in our tank. We will also be upsizing to 180g in the next year or so.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    eatbreakfast likes this.
  18. MamaLovesHerReefTank

Bump. Anyone?

19. MiguelCS71

MiguelCS71 Well-Known Member

MamaLovesHerReefTank likes this.
  20. MamaLovesHerReefTank

I'm pretty lucky myself. We both love the hobby. I like it a bit more than he does though. :)

MiguelCS71 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted