Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was already planning on the flasher wrasse as in my original post. The Grammistes blenny? Is that the stripped blenny? Don’t they have a venemous bite? Not very familiar with this one.
Yes, grammistes do have a venomous bite, but they only use it for defense, are very peaceful, and I have never had an issue with them trying to bite.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, figured i would run my stocking plan of my 50g cube (24x24x20) by everyone so here it is...
-Pair of clowns (currently residing in my 6 gallon nano, that tank will become qt)
-Baby Kole Tang (I understand the 'rules' of tangs)
-YWG/Pistol shrimp pair. Question on the YWG, are they sand sifting machines like a diamond goby or could i have both of them in this tank?

That is all i have planned for the first year along with softies and some LPS let me know what you think. Once the tank is matured i may want to add something else but i am unsure, any opinions on what you all think would go well with this small community please let me know!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experiences good or bad with keeping a similarly sized red-lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) with a Hoeven's wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) in a 55 gallon DT with plenty of rockwork? Intrigued about the red v. green colors and not just for Christmas, ha ha.

Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!!!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, figured i would run my stocking plan of my 50g cube (24x24x20) by everyone so here it is...
-Pair of clowns (currently residing in my 6 gallon nano, that tank will become qt)
-Baby Kole Tang (I understand the 'rules' of tangs)
-YWG/Pistol shrimp pair. Question on the YWG, are they sand sifting machines like a diamond goby or could i have both of them in this tank?

That is all i have planned for the first year along with softies and some LPS let me know what you think. Once the tank is matured i may want to add something else but i am unsure, any opinions on what you all think would go well with this small community please let me know!
Watchman gobies and sand sifters do different things and are not competition for each other.

Other possible tankmates include:
Royal gramma,
Chalk bass
Sunburst anthias
Longnose or flame hawk
Midas blenny
Yellow coris wrasse
Melanurus wrasse

Any experiences good or bad with keeping a similarly sized red-lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus) with a Hoeven's wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus) in a 55 gallon DT with plenty of rockwork? Intrigued about the red v. green colors and not just for Christmas, ha ha.

Thanks and Happy Holidays everyone!!!
In most cases these two coexist well. The melanurus is slightly more dominant.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much, this level of compatibility is what I've been reading about but always check with other reefers...........think I'll get a smaller melanurus to be safer

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most folks think they are the devil but if I added a blackcap basslet would my 6 line beat it to death?

Have had the 6line for about 2 years and it has been in the current rendition of my reef for a couple of weeks. As of yet the wrasse has been a model citizen. 100 gallon.

2 tangs, 3 anthias, 2 clowns, a yellowtail damsel

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most folks think they are the devil but if I added a blackcap basslet would my 6 line beat it to death?

Have had the 6line for about 2 years and it has been in the current rendition of my reef for a couple of weeks. As of yet the wrasse has been a model citizen. 100 gallon.

2 tangs, 3 anthias, 2 clowns, a yellowtail damsel
It is risky. Sixlines get meaner as they age, particularly to fish added after them, and to fish that hang out around the rockwork.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman gobies and sand sifters do different things and are not competition for each other.

Other possible tankmates include:
Royal gramma,
Chalk bass
Sunburst anthias
Longnose or flame hawk
Midas blenny
Yellow coris wrasse
Melanurus wrasse

In most cases these two coexist well. The melanurus is slightly more dominant.

Thanks for the feedback!

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72” Long 180 gal tank.
Chevron tang, yellow tang, and kole tang? I was considering swapping one of the latter two with a purple.

Should be fine. Chevron and kole are both ctenochaetus but in such a big tank you shouldn’t have aggression issues. Yellow and purple are both zebrasoma so aggression is possible. Remember that tangs of the same genus are often aggressive towards each other unless you have a larger number to distribute the aggression. Just make sure you have ample hiding and swimming space

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. Chevron and kole are both ctenochaetus but in such a big tank you shouldn’t have aggression issues. Yellow and purple are both zebrasoma so aggression is possible. Remember that tangs of the same genus are often aggressive towards each other unless you have a larger number to distribute the aggression. Just make sure you have ample hiding and swimming space

Do I need to add them all at once, if possible, or in a certain order? I took your advice and just narrowed it to Purple, Chevron, and added Lemon Peel.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72” Long 180 gal tank.
Chevron tang, yellow tang, and kole tang? I was considering swapping one of the latter two with a purple.

Do I need to add them all at once, if possible, or in a certain order? I took your advice and just narrowed it to Purple, Chevron, and added Lemon Peel.
In a 180g they will be fine together. Ideally, all being added at once is best, but if not, the purple is the most aggressive of the bunch so should be added last.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a pajama cardinal be added to a 32 gallon with an established and large banggai? Other inhabitants are a pair of non-aggressive clowns and a pink spotted goby.

I have not had problems with these 2 fish. I have found though that pajamas prefer Groups.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a pajama cardinal be added to a 32 gallon with an established and large banggai? Other inhabitants are a pair of non-aggressive clowns and a pink spotted goby.
Those two are usually fine.
I have not had problems with these 2 fish. I have found though that pajamas prefer Groups.
IME pj cardinals do fine singly, in prs, or in groups.

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinda is wrasses will be ok in a SPS tank also I have a leopard wrasses already

Books&Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. First time here. My usual message board doesn't have enough support for saltwater. I want to start a FOWLR with the intention of upgrading a few months later to whatever size I'm comfortable maintaining, and going mixed reef then (softies and LPS). I have a 20 high tank to learn with (24Lx13Wx17H).

For stock, the non-negotiables are a pair of false pecula ocellaris clownfish and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I need help figuring out the final fish. Which would be best: royal gramma basslet or yellowtail damselfish? Or is a 20 high fully stocked with 2 clowns and a shrimp? Keep in mind I have every intention of upgrading after a few months, leaning toward a 40 breeder since it's deep enough and my favorite tank shape/size. I have no monetary or space restrictions in upgrading. I know many people say they will and don't. But I'm starting with the 20 high because I have it and want to learn how much I can handle before investing in the full set up. Any help is very appreciated.

ETA: Not super interested in firefish or gobies unless they're very active. I have young kids to please.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back