Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. First time here. My usual message board doesn't have enough support for saltwater. I want to start a FOWLR with the intention of upgrading a few months later to whatever size I'm comfortable maintaining, and going mixed reef then (softies and LPS). I have a 20 high tank to learn with (24Lx13Wx17H).

For stock, the non-negotiables are a pair of false pecula ocellaris clownfish and a skunk cleaner shrimp. I need help figuring out the final fish. Which would be best: royal gramma basslet or yellowtail damselfish? Or is a 20 high fully stocked with 2 clowns and a shrimp? Keep in mind I have every intention of upgrading after a few months, leaning toward a 40 breeder since it's deep enough and my favorite tank shape/size. I have no monetary or space restrictions in upgrading. I know many people say they will and don't. But I'm starting with the 20 high because I have it and want to learn how much I can handle before investing in the full set up. Any help is very appreciated.
For just starting out, I would recommend keeping it at just the clowns and the cleaner shrimp. Once your skills are honed you can consider adding another fish.

Books&Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For just starting out, I would recommend keeping it at just the clowns and the cleaner shrimp. Once your skills are honed you can consider adding another fish.
Thanks. I'm not an entire newbie, I've had freshwater for years now. I would definitely add fish slowly, and still neither of those options would do well in the 20?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm not an entire newbie, I've had freshwater for years now. I would definitely add fish slowly, and still neither of those options would do well in the 20?
Saltwater has a narrower margin for error than freshwater. A 20g may be able to house another one, but gain experience, and once you have then consider a fish.

Books&Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater has a narrower margin for error than freshwater. A 20g may be able to house another one, but gain experience, and once you have then consider a fish.
Thank you. I will start with clowns and shrimp and after I have a routine down, I'll come back for the next step (upgrade then 1 more fish or 1 more fish then upgrade).

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me hear opinions on this. 4x2x2 tank, minimal rockwork (about 45 pounds of rock currently and will add a little bit more later on)
1 Banggai Cardinalfish
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Starry Blenny
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
3 Carberryi Anthias
1 Potter’s Wrasse (a variation of leopard Wrasse for those of you unfamiliar with it)
That’s also the order I plan to add them in. I have a slightly oversized skimmer for my tank size and have a refugium.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me hear opinions on this. 4x2x2 tank, minimal rockwork (about 45 pounds of rock currently and will add a little bit more later on)
1 Banggai Cardinalfish
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Starry Blenny
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
3 Carberryi Anthias
1 Potter’s Wrasse (a variation of leopard Wrasse for those of you unfamiliar with it)
That’s also the order I plan to add them in. I have a slightly oversized skimmer for my tank size and have a refugium.
That should be fine, as long as the filtration can handle the bioload with the minimalist rockwork.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted this list already in its own thread but then i found this thread so i thought I'd get some more opinions.

Still cycling my tank but this is the planned stock list for my 6 ft 150 gallon
2 clowns
Watchman goby/pistol shrimp
Royal gramma
Group of anthias - probably dispar (how many?)
Flame angel
Midas blenny
Blue jaw trigger
Foxface
Yellow tang
Kole tang
Naso tang
Powder blue tang
Couple reef safe wrasses (ideas?)

This is what i would really like to have but I feel like it could be too much.

I know the naso may outgrow the tank but i can trade it to my lfs if it gets too big

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted this list already in its own thread but then i found this thread so i thought I'd get some more opinions.

Still cycling my tank but this is the planned stock list for my 6 ft 150 gallon
2 clowns
Watchman goby/pistol shrimp
Royal gramma
Group of anthias - probably dispar (how many?)
Flame angel
Midas blenny
Blue jaw trigger
Foxface
Yellow tang
Kole tang
Naso tang
Powder blue tang
Couple reef safe wrasses (ideas?)

This is what i would really like to have but I feel like it could be too much.

I know the naso may outgrow the tank but i can trade it to my lfs if it gets too big
The fish are all compatible, but that is a lot for that size tank.

The naso will outgrow that tank.

Dispars do best in odd numbers. 5 or more s what I would recommend.

There is a wide variety of reef safe wrasses. Lubbocks, solorensis, and exquisite fairy wrasses are colorful, inexpensive, and hardy fairy wrasse species. Yellow coris and melanurus are popular species from the Halichoeres genus.

Dane Gyduska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
I currently have 1 maroon clown, 3 green chromis, and 1 cardinal fish. Along with 2 peppermint shrimp and some snails. Was going to add another fish to the tank but not sure on what to get. I wanted a blue tang but I'm not sure if my tank is large enough (BioCube 32) and how it would react to my others. Thanks in advance!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 1 maroon clown, 3 green chromis, and 1 cardinal fish. Along with 2 peppermint shrimp and some snails. Was going to add another fish to the tank but not sure on what to get. I wanted a blue tang but I'm not sure if my tank is large enough (BioCube 32) and how it would react to my others. Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately a blue tang will not be a good choice for a tank that size, as they grow quite large.

Also, maroon clowns are the largest, most aggressive clown species. So that will limit fish that can be added. Perhaps a watchman goby would work.

Dane Gyduska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately a blue tang will not be a good choice for a tank that size, as they grow quite large.

Also, maroon clowns are the largest, most aggressive clown species. So that will limit fish that can be added. Perhaps a watchman goby would work.
Ok thanks. My maroon clown is actually very laid back. Every one says they are the most aggressive but he doesn't seem to be

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. My maroon clown is actually very laid back. Every one says they are the most aggressive but he doesn't seem to be
So far... But they live a long time and increase in aggression as they grow and mature.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted my stocking plan here before but I have a specific question about a new addition to the list.

Current stocking in 40 gallon mixed reef:
2x Percula Clownfish
3x Pajama Cardinal
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby and Snapping Shrimp
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Yellow (Coris) Wrasse

When first coming up with the list, I liked the banggai cardinalfish and my wife liked the pajamas...we got the pajamas. I always thought we shouldn't keep two cardinalfish species together but my LFS has told me that I should be OK adding one banggai now since he shouldn't pick on the pajamas due to their numbers and the pajamas should leave the banggai alone. What are your thoughts on this? I would be adding the banggai cardinalfish before the next fish in my stocking plan, a flame hawkfish and 3 bartletts anthias. Thanks in advance!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted my stocking plan here before but I have a specific question about a new addition to the list.

Current stocking in 40 gallon mixed reef:
2x Percula Clownfish
3x Pajama Cardinal
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby and Snapping Shrimp
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Yellow (Coris) Wrasse

When first coming up with the list, I liked the banggai cardinalfish and my wife liked the pajamas...we got the pajamas. I always thought we shouldn't keep two cardinalfish species together but my LFS has told me that I should be OK adding one banggai now since he shouldn't pick on the pajamas due to their numbers and the pajamas should leave the banggai alone. What are your thoughts on this? I would be adding the banggai cardinalfish before the next fish in my stocking plan, a flame hawkfish and 3 bartletts anthias. Thanks in advance!
A single bangaii will be fine.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like you have any or many fish occupying the bottom third of your tank. I like the idea of a goby like a watchman or prawn goby.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on about 4-5 royal gramma's added to a ~125 at the same time? Hoping to get small ones so one can be dominant and the rest will stay female.
Other fish on the list for the upcoming tank:
1 clown
1 tomini tang
1 one spot fox face
1 orchard dotty back
1 midas blenny (would love a pair but was told this is not a good idea)
1 Bellus angel
1 yellow Coris wrasse (I have a 6 line now but i think i need to replace him as he is mean to the orchard dotty back.)
Maybe a flame hawk or long nose hawk at some point

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on about 4-5 royal gramma's added to a ~125 at the same time? Hoping to get small ones so one can be dominant and the rest will stay female.
Other fish on the list for the upcoming tank:
1 clown
1 tomini tang
1 one spot fox face
1 orchard dotty back
1 midas blenny (would love a pair but was told this is not a good idea)
1 Bellus angel
1 yellow Coris wrasse (I have a 6 line now but i think i need to replace him as he is mean to the orchard dotty back.)
Maybe a flame hawk or long nose hawk at some point
As long as they are all small, they should be fine. Although the orchid dottyback may be a little territorial toward them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back