Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one else has replied yet, so I'll fill in for them.

Same advice for flasher wrasse is given by @evolved and @eatbreakfast, just one of each species.

The only exception are the leopard wrasse genus (Macropharyngodon) where one male of the genus can be kept with females of different species within the genus. But must be only one male.

Hope this helps.

It helps a lot! Thank you very much!

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I can add a yellow tang with my foxface and blue eye kole tang in a 97 gallon tank? If not permently, temporarily when he gets bigger until he gets bigger?

My foxface accepted my kole after a few skirmishes and now are best friends.

I have all my nutrients in check everyone is happy.

Oh and the foxface and kole tang are not the only other fish in the thank, they are the only ones yellow tang may have conflict with.

Thanks

DerekT5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of fish in my 40 cube, was thinking of adding a firefish. Do I need a cover for them?

Thanks!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of fish in my 40 cube, was thinking of adding a firefish. Do I need a cover for them?

Thanks!

Yes. They are prone to jumping. It is like playing with Fire otherwise.

Do you think I can add a yellow tang with my foxface and blue eye kole tang in a 97 gallon tank? If not permently, temporarily when he gets bigger until he gets bigger?

Oh and the foxface and kole tang are not the only other fish in the thank, they are the only ones yellow tang may have conflict with.

Thanks

A yellow tang should fit into the 90g. I have had no problems when introducing one after all other fish(Except Powder Blue tang). But let’s see what @4FordFamily has to say.
-Zack,

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They are prone to jumping. It is like playing with Fire otherwise.

A yellow tang should fit into the 90g. I have had no problems when introducing one after all other fish(Except Powder Blue tang). But let’s see what @4FordFamily has to say.
-Zack,
I agree, it’s crowded but it’s possible. The existing Kole may reject the new tang, which is always a risk.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any suggestions for other fish?
With a sixline adding fish can be difficult, but perhaps a blenny, such as a starry or orange spotted would work.
In the future, I was thinking of having a Pico tank with cool inverts that can't be in a display tank. I was thinking of having zoas, acans, and leathers in the tank. Current stock list is 6 sexy shrimp, 3 pom pom crabs, a pair of bumblebee shrimp, 1 porcelain crab, and 1 emperor shrimp/ tiger sea cucumber host (along with hitch hikers like fanworms.
Any issues with the stock? Any advice? I am hoping to keep these in a 3 gallon jbj but if it is too small I will upgrade to a fluval spec 5.

I am planning to keep it without any mechanical filtration so the corals, fanworm, and crabs can filter feed. I am also planning to have little flow so there is detritus build up for the cucumber and pom pom crabs. I will spot feed daily to 3 times a week.
I don't see any problems with this.
Hey there, after about 5 years away from the hobby (previous tank was a 40 long)I will be setting up a 75g in the next couple of months and have been doing my planning for the tank. I was wanting to verify if my stock list would all be compatible, if there was any obvious mismatches, and to also take any suggestions as far as what I have decided. The only thing I'm particularly set on would be a mandarin (this fish is what originally got me interested in the hobby, and with tank restrictions on my previous setup I was never able to get one.) the tank will have a sump setup (particularly the Eschopps R-200 sump) and I'm aware of them needing a mature tank with plenty of pods (plan on adding him/her as one of the last fish) after everything has been going around 8-12 months, and I'm planning on seeding the tank with pods after a couple months of running to give them plenty of time to establish themselves.

Aside from the mandarin, my current list was looking like follows
X2 Pink skunk clownfish (Been reading they are one of the more timid clowns, as well as I like that they aren't as common as the typical occelaris or percula species).
X1 Royal Gramma
X1 Lubbocks fairy wrasse (from what I can tell, they won't be competing with the mandarin for pods, and I previously had one of these guys in my previous tank)
X1 Mandarin Dragonet
X1-2 Bartlett's Anthias
X1 Melanarus wrasse (this was the biggest concern that I had as far as the stock list, I really like wrasses, and this is quite a pretty fish. The only thing is if it would be competing with the mandarin for pods. Obviously it would be able to easily outcompete if they were voracious pod foragers, which I don't want it affecting the health of the mandarin. Thoughts on the two of them being together?)
(Possibly a yellowtail damsel)

That's what I have thought out so far, and would really like some suggestions or feedback, particularly on the Melanarus. With most everything staying pretty small (aside from the melanarus)I was wanting at least one suggestion on something a little larger that's an active swimmer (if I have to replace the melanarus). Perhaps a species of dwarf angel, however, I've been seeing it's pretty hit or miss with them nipping corals, I'm intending on this being a mixed reef, so reef safe is a must. I do really like wrasses, so, perhaps one or two more fairy or flasher wrasses to replace the larger wrasse as they aren't particularly pod eaters (as far as I have been seeing).

Thank you
I would be concerned about the melanurus with the mandarin in this sized tank. They are very effective pod hunters.

I have read the articles explaining not to keep a " school or group" of fairy wrasse and will follow that advice.

Does the same apply to flasher wrasse? can I buy a group and will 1 transition and everything works out? or is it not recommended just like fairy wrasse?

Thanks!
GBRSouth covered it nicely. Only one specimen per species. But it is possible to have a nice group made up of different species.

Thanks
That should be fine.

Thanks!
Firefish are notorious jumpers. A lid is highly recommended for firefish.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions about yellow coris wrasses. We have CarribSea Hawaiian black sand in our tank. Its a pretty course sand. Will the wrasse still be able to bury itself in it? Are they compatible with a ruby red head wrasse? And would it compete with a future mandarin for pods in a 75G?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions about yellow coris wrasses. We have CarribSea Hawaiian black sand in our tank. Its a pretty course sand. Will the wrasse still be able to bury itself in it? Are they compatible with a ruby red head wrasse? And would it compete with a future mandarin for pods in a 75G?
In a 75g it will compete for pods with the mandarin.

They are compatible with a ruby headed wrasse.

Can you post a pic of the sand?

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current stock list (70 gallon display 30 gallon sump)
1 white cap goby pistol shrimp pair
3 oscelaris clowns(yes 3)
Bicolor blenny
Carpenters flasher wrasse
Blue flasher wrasse
Blue star leopard wrasse
Long nose hawkfish

What I’m considering( not sure if I want to add anything, stocklist feels mostly complete)
Another leopard wrasse
Mystery wrasse
More flasher wrasses
I want a copperband but it won’t work with my setup

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current stock list (70 gallon display 30 gallon sump)
1 white cap goby pistol shrimp pair
3 oscelaris clowns(yes 3)
Bicolor blenny
Carpenters flasher wrasse
Blue flasher wrasse
Blue star leopard wrasse
Long nose hawkfish

What I’m considering( not sure if I want to add anything, stocklist feels mostly complete)
Another leopard wrasse
Mystery wrasse
More flasher wrasses
I want a copperband but it won’t work with my setup
Mystery wrasses do not play nice with other wrasses.

I wos be concerned with the longnose hawk hunting the white capped goby.

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery wrasses do not play nice with other wrasses.

I wos be concerned with the longnose hawk hunting the white capped goby.

Thanks for the reply, I’ll take the mystery off the list but the white cap and longnose have been together for over a year with no issue, the hawkfish is the most peaceful fish in the tank other than the blenny

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 75g it will compete for pods with the mandarin.

They are compatible with a ruby headed wrasse.

Can you post a pic of the sand?

Here is the best pic I could get. There are a variety of grain sizes. The finest washed away when I rinsed the sand.

E325598F-5F21-4A52-86D3-F51068262B59.jpeg

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will happen if I put a trio of lyretail anthias in with an established male dispar anthias? Will the two males fight? Will the dispar stay a loner or will he try to join with the lyretails? Would adding 2 female lyretails to the male dispar be better? And lastly is a 10g big enough to QT 2-3 anthias?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will happen if I put a trio of lyretail anthias in with an established male dispar anthias? Will the two males fight? Will the dispar stay a loner or will he try to join with the lyretails? Would adding 2 female lyretails to the male dispar be better? And lastly is a 10g big enough to QT 2-3 anthias?
The lyretails will dominate a solitary dispar. Depending on the tank size they may chase him into hiding or just to the other side of the tank.

Even if you only add female lyretails they will be dominant, they are an assertive anthias species.

10g is a little small to qt 3.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are your feelings on blue head wrasses? I have a Caribbean blue tang,a surgeon fish a slippery dick wrasse a 4 eye butterfly fish and several gobies. Will a blue head get along or will he be a bully? Btw I'll be getting it as a juvenile

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lyretails will dominate a solitary dispar. Depending on the tank size they may chase him into hiding or just to the other side of the tank.

Even if you only add female lyretails they will be dominant, they are an assertive anthias species.

10g is a little small to qt 3.

Sounds like lyretails are out then. If I add 2 dispar females will they be okay with the existing one?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your feelings on blue head wrasses? I have a Caribbean blue tang,a surgeon fish a slippery dick wrasse a 4 eye butterfly fish and several gobies. Will a blue head get along or will he be a bully? Btw I'll be getting it as a juvenile

Assuming by your other livestock that you're talking about the Caribbean bluehead, Thalassoma bifasciatum, and not the bluehead fairy wrasse, Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura?

I've only kept one Caribbean bluehead, decades ago - but it quickly became one of my all-time favorite fish. That fish learned how to spit for brine shrimp, and after that would only take the ones he spit for - and allowed the seahorses in the same tank to eat the rest of the live brine. The wrasse, meanwhile, would eat all the flake I could throw at him. Turned this (then-about-twelve-year-old) into a lifetime wrasse-aholic.

~Bruce

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back