Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

cookr959

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be plenty. Now would it be overstocking to add a candy cane pistol shrimp and a highfin goby?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT tank.. 30g

1x Cardinalfish
3x Zebra barred dartfish
1x Royal Gramma Basslet

They'll have pvc to hide in. Do I need dividers?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will an established midas blenny be aggressive towards a blue gudgeon dartfish trio (is a trio sustainable?) Would they get along with my helfrichi? Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will an established midas blenny be aggressive towards a blue gudgeon dartfish trio (is a trio sustainable?) Would they get along with my helfrichi? Thanks!
Some midas blennies are more aggressive than others, but in most cases are fine withblue gudgeons.

Blue gudgeon gobies are fine as a trio and will get along nicely with the helfrichi.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EQUIPMENT
JBJ Rimless 30 Gallon
  • 23.6" L x 19.7" W x 16.5" H
  • Display: 22" L x 14" W x 15" H (approximate size considering water level and rounded corners)
Actual Volume (without any rock): 26.6 Gallon
  • Display: 21.1 Gallon
  • Filtration Compartments Total: 5.5 Gallon
Filtration
  • 15-20 lbs. live rock
  • 5-8 lbs. cured dry rock
  • Tunze 9004 Protein Skimmer
  • CPR Aquafuge 2 HOB Refugium, small (2.5 gallon - about 10% of total volume; it will have Chaetomorpha and be seeded with pods)
  • NO sand, bare bottom

PROBABLE LIVESTOCK
First additions will be the clean up crew:

• 5-6 Red-Legged Dwarf hermits
  • 5-6 Cerith snails
  • 2-3 Trochus snails
Next, we will add:
  • 2x Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
  • 1x Pink-Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)
Last addition will be:
  • 2x Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Eventually, there will be LPS corals, a small number of SPS corals and perhaps a Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor). That is not a natural host for A. ocellaris, but I have seen it work and it is probably the only possible host anemone I could put in an aquarium this size. I note that all livestock will be added very slowly over considerable time.

QUESTIONS
(1) The above setup seems pretty well stocked to me. Recently, after talking with my wife, I was wondering if a couple more fish could work. We were looking at this fish as a possibility:

• Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma)
The plan would be to still add the clowns last. Would the experts agree more fish are doable? How many of the Yellowstriped Cardinalfish could be added in addition to the above list?

(2) Any thoughts on a BTA in this sized aquarium with Ocellaris Clownfish?

(3) Assuming we did not add any Yellowstriped Cardinalfish at all, and we had good pod population, would you ever consider a Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus) in a setup this size? I kept a healthy Mandarin fat for years in a 55 gallon, so have some experience with them. This setup just seems too small (and will be bare bottom).

I have a good feeling about what is doable and what is questionable, but would love some second and third opinions. We are a couple of months away from adding anything, just trying to formulate a plan and mull over some ideas.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EQUIPMENT
JBJ Rimless 30 Gallon
  • Display: 22" L x 14" W x 15" H (approximate actual volume)
Filtration
  • 15-20 lbs. live rock
  • CPR Aquafuge 2 HOB Refugium, small (2.5 gallon - about 10% of total volume; it will have Chaetomorpha and be seeded with pods)
  • NO sand, bare bottom

PROBABLE LIVESTOCK

• 5-6 Cerith snails
  • 2-3 Trochus snails
Next, we will add:
Last addition will be:
Eventually, there will be LPS corals, a small number of SPS corals and perhaps a Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor). That is not a natural host for A. ocellaris, but I have seen it work and it is probably the only possible host anemone I could put in an aquarium this size. I note that all livestock will be added very slowly over considerable time.

QUESTIONS
(1) The above setup seems pretty well stocked to me. Recently, after talking with my wife, I was wondering if a couple more fish could work. We were looking at this fish as a possibility:

The plan would be to still add the clowns last. Would the experts agree more fish are doable? How many of the Yellowstriped Cardinalfish could be added in addition to the above list?

(3) Assuming we did not add any Yellowstriped Cardinalfish at all, and we had good pod population, would you ever consider a Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus) in a setup this size? I kept a healthy Mandarin fat for years in a 55 gallon, so have some experience with them. This setup just seems too small (and will be bare bottom).

I have a good feeling about what is doable and what is questionable, but would love some second and third opinions. We are a couple of months away from adding anything, just trying to formulate a plan and mull over some ideas.

Thanks!
Looks good, you can probably add up to 2 cardinals but it all really depends on the tank. Bta would be great for clowns. I do recommend tho that you have an island for your bta. My bta moves around time to time and kills my other corals. I don't recommend you having a mandarin in that tank size but it is possible. If you have chaeto, an established tank and if it eats frozen food, it could work. But I would have a backup plan in case.
Good luck on your new tank

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, you can probably add up to 2 cardinals but it all really depends on the tank. Bta would be great for clowns. I do recommend tho that you have an island for your bta. My bta moves around time to time and kills my other corals. I don't recommend you having a mandarin in that tank size but it is possible. If you have chaeto, an established tank and if it eats frozen food, it could work. But I would have a backup plan in case.
Good luck on your new tank

Thanks! Yes, BTA would have its own rock island. Of course, it could move at any time.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EQUIPMENT
JBJ Rimless 30 Gallon
  • Display: 22" L x 14" W x 15" H (approximate size considering water level and rounded corners)
Filtration
  • 15-20 lbs. live rock
  • NO sand, bare bottom

PROBABLE LIVESTOCK

• 5-6 Cerith snails
  • 2-3 Trochus snails
Next, we will add:
Last addition will be:

QUESTIONS

Thanks!
1 or 2 yellow striped cardinals should work.

I would advise against a mandarin in that tank. Eben if you found one that ate frozen, that is still a miniscule supplement for their dietary needs. Also, the pink streaked wrasse also eats pods, so will be adding pressure to the pod population.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 or 2 yellow striped cardinals should work.

I would advise against a mandarin in that tank. Eben if you found one that ate frozen, that is still a miniscule supplement for their dietary needs. Also, the pink streaked wrasse also eats pods, so will be adding pressure to the pod population.

Thank you! Figured as much. Good point about the wrasse picking pods.

PS. I ate my breakfast.

Phin9009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46 gallon bowfront with ~50 pounds (total guess) of live rock. Established tank (previous owner was moving and gave it to me). One royal gramma already in there. Would it be ok to add:
Pair of clowns
Diamond Watchman Goby
Six Line Wrasse
Green chromis (a group of them?)

I was wanting to get a yellow tail damsel as well, but I've read they can be pretty aggressive , and since this is my first experience with saltwater, I don't want to risk having aggression issues.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46 gallon bowfront with ~50 pounds (total guess) of live rock. Established tank (previous owner was moving and gave it to me). One royal gramma already in there. Would it be ok to add:
Pair of clowns
Diamond Watchman Goby
Six Line Wrasse

I was wanting to get a yellow tail damsel as well, but I've read they can be pretty aggressive , and since this is my first experience with saltwater, I don't want to risk having aggression issues.

The 6 Line is going to be aggressive, I would try either a Fairy or Flasher wrasse if it were me. Other than that everything looks okay

-Zack

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of clowns
Diamond Watchman Goby
Six Line Wrasse

If you don't want to risk aggression issues then skip the six line (and the damsel). And personally I would go with one chromis, I don't think a group would coexist long term in that size tank. You could add a few more fish though.

Phin9009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish would you suggest to add in? I'll look into the other Wrasse options.

Thanks!!

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

I'm having a hard time deciding on a peaceful blue fish for my 90g reef (there aren't many).

Current stock:
2 x blue star leopard wrasse
1 x midas blenny
1 x helfrichi firefish
1 x copperband butterflyfish
1 x matted filefish

My initial thought was one blue green chromis, but sometimes those are more green then blue and are very susceptible to uronema (so I've heard). I really like the blue reef chromis but I heard they ship poorly (any idea how poorly?). As I mentioned blue gudgeon dartfosh trio have great blue color but too similar in shape to my helfrichi and midas I think, I want more variety. There are some great blue damsels but I'm concerned all will be too aggressive, I think? Last option that I could think of is a bellus or watanabei angel but tanks a little small and I plan on adding a flame down the road so not sure how that would playout. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

Back