Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With clowns, is it "ok" or "do-able" to house more then one species in a tank? for instance, having multiple separate nems for hosting, and 4 fish total. 2 separate species to have 2 each (example, 2 being maroon and 2 being helmets) would they pair with their own? Would you end up with one larger group where you'd have 3 males and one dom female for the whole tank? would there be too much aggression for trying to have 2 pairs in one set up?
It is possible depending on the species involved and space available. But those two factors are incredibly important.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With maroons it will be difficult. They get big and aggressive. 200g+.

Maroons can be quite agressive. I recently observed a tank with one Yellow Stripe Maroon and several Percula. The Maroon owned about 2/3 of the tank and all of the Percula were jammed on the right side. The Maroon was relentless, but what I found more interesting was the dynamic amongst the Percula. They were becoming quite aggressive to each other because of their confined situation. My point is not just the aggressiveness of a certain fish, but how that one fish can change the dynamic and behavior of others in an entire aquarium.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, in my experience with a 55 gallon aquarium, I had 2 Clarkiis hosted in an Heteractis magnifica. I later added a purple Sebae anemone and after that a large Tomato clown. I note the following:
  • The Tomato clown was more agressive but not relentless. More territorial I would say. He basically wanted to be left alone.
  • The Tomato never showed interest in any of the anemones and basically left the Clarkiis and their anemone alone (I worried he may try to take it from them, but he did not).
  • None of the clowns ever seemed to notice the Sebae anemone.

There were only two other fish in the aquarium that were basically bottom dwellers. All clowns ignored them unless they encroached on either clowns’ territory.

I would say an Ocellaris pair and a Clarkii pair would work fine in a 125 gallon. The Clarkiis will get up to twice as large as the Ocellaris. The Clarkiis would be a natural host for say a BTA, while the Ocellaris would be more natural for a Heteractis magnifica or Carpet Anemone. I would probably add the Ocellaris before the Clarkiis. I also prefer adding an anemone before the clowns I want to host it. That way they are likely to find it when released after acclimation. When clowns are added first they may stake out a territory and never even notice an anemone when added after.

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, in my experience with a 55 gallon aquarium, I had 2 Clarkiis hosted in an Heteractis magnifica. I later added a purple Sebae anemone and after that a large Tomato clown. I note the following:
  • The Tomato clown was more agressive but not relentless. More territorial I would say. He basically wanted to be left alone.
  • The Tomato never showed interest in any of the anemones and basically left the Clarkiis and their anemone alone (I worried he may try to take it from them, but he did not).
  • None of the clowns ever seemed to notice the Sebae anemone.

There were only two other fish in the aquarium that were basically bottom dwellers. All clowns ignored them unless they encroached on either clowns’ territory.

I would say an Ocellaris pair and a Clarkii pair would work fine in a 125 gallon. The Clarkiis will get up to twice as large as the Ocellaris. The Clarkiis would be a natural host for say a BTA, while the Ocellaris would be more natural for a Heteractis magnifica or Carpet Anemone. I would probably add the Ocellaris before the Clarkiis. I also prefer adding an anemone before the clowns I want to host it. That way they are likely to find it when released after acclimation. When clowns are added first they may stake out a territory and never even notice an anemone when added after.
Awesome! Thank you so much!

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have noted, the 55 gallon was a standard 55 long. Not a cube. Four feet long.

Eric Marton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank and now starting a second tank so I can have a bunch of anemones and clowns, since anemones aren’t a great idea for coral heavy reef tank. Question for y’all, what cool non-reef safe fish and invertebrates would be cool to share a 60 gallon tank with clowns and anemones? Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef tank and now starting a second tank so I can have a bunch of anemones and clowns, since anemones aren’t a great idea for coral heavy reef tank. Question for y’all, what cool non-reef safe fish and invertebrates would be cool to share a 60 gallon tank with clowns and anemones? Thanks!
Orangetail filefish, canthigaster puffers, a centropyge angel, fuzzy dwarf or fu manchu lion....

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping in for a Follow up.

I tried to create a tank around a picasso trigger in a 90g.

What worked so far.
2x Tomato clowns
3x Domino damsels
1x Spiny box puffer
1x Java Rabit.

What didn't work:
Threadfin butterfly: Hid, wouldn't eat.
Niger Trigger: Hid, wouldn't eat.

What else might I try?

I considered trying to find a beefy large dwarg angle or a school of yellow tail blu damsels but I am not sure.

Everyone gets along right now but what ever goes in will have to withstand an initiation by domino damsels which is not for the faint if heart.

I may have to find a large Tommi or kole tang or perhaps another trigger or rabbit.

Open for suggestions.

One interesting thing is I am not sure all these fish love each other, buy they ALL bed down together in roughly the same tiny cave on one side at night.

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will happen if I put a trio of lyretail anthias in with an established male dispar anthias? Will the two males fight? Will the dispar stay a loner or will he try to join with the lyretails? Would adding 2 female lyretails to the male dispar be better? And lastly is a 10g big enough to QT 2-3 anthias?
FWI, in my 225g i dropped 3 ignitus in with a solitary Lyretail and they actually school together.

I couldn't get all 3 ignitus in the shot but you get the idea.
1519498294815.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping in for a Follow up.

I tried to create a tank around a picasso trigger in a 90g.

What worked so far.
2x Tomato clowns
3x Domino damsels
1x Spiny box puffer
1x Java Rabit.

What didn't work:
Threadfin butterfly: Hid, wouldn't eat.
Niger Trigger: Hid, wouldn't eat.

What else might I try?

I considered trying to find a beefy large dwarg angle or a school of yellow tail blu damsels but I am not sure.

Everyone gets along right now but what ever goes in will have to withstand an initiation by domino damsels which is not for the faint if heart.

I may have to find a large Tommi or kole tang or perhaps another trigger or rabbit.

Open for suggestions.

One interesting thing is I am not sure all these fish love each other, buy they ALL bed down together in roughly the same tiny cave on one side at night.
The domino damsel will be pretty aggressive toward an angel or other damsels, though a lg group of damsels will diffuse aggression.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The domino damsel will be pretty aggressive toward an angel or other damsels, though a lg group of damsels will diffuse aggression.
A school of yellow tails was my thought as well. Though the lfs says they haven't been able to get any for a few months.

I may have to get a large foxface. The larger triggers will outgrow the tank and i think my options are limited.

I am not even sure how a kole or Tommi would do...

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias recommendation please.

So far in my RSR 525 I have:
3 royal gramma
3 azure damsels
2 purple firefish
2 ocellaris clowns
1 orange spotted watchman goby
1 blue chromis

rock work is setup with many caves, swim throughs, hiding places.

I would like a small group of anthias that would:
1 - play well with peaceful tank mates
2 - hopefully hang / swim in the middle / upper part of the tank.
3 - get along with future fairy and flasher wrasse

feeding multiple times a day is not a problem.

The advice I have received from this thread has worked out very well so far!

Thanks!

Mike

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias recommendation please.

So far in my RSR 525 I have:
3 royal gramma
3 azure damsels
2 purple firefish
2 ocellaris clowns
1 orange spotted watchman goby
1 blue chromis

rock work is setup with many caves, swim throughs, hiding places.

I would like a small group of anthias that would:
1 - play well with peaceful tank mates
2 - hopefully hang / swim in the middle / upper part of the tank.
3 - get along with future fairy and flasher wrasse

feeding multiple times a day is not a problem.

The advice I have received from this thread has worked out very well so far!

Thanks!

Mike
Randalls and dispars would fit the bill. They are more peaceful than bartletts or lyretails, but are still relatively hardy.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randalls and dispars would fit the bill. They are more peaceful than bartletts or lyretails, but are still relatively hardy.

Thanks eatbreakfast.

Do you have a recommended group size that tends to work best?

3 or 4?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back