Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mcs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to add an additional fish to our 2-year old 300g reef (SPS) tank. Current inhabitants are a Foxface rabbit fish, a Yellow Eye Kole Tang, 2 Lyretail Anthias, and 5 Green Chromis. Considering two options ... Red Sea Regal Angel or Blue Throat Trigger. Would be great to hear pros and cons of each option ... and people’s choice!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to add an additional fish to our 2-year old 300g reef (SPS) tank. Current inhabitants are a Foxface rabbit fish, a Yellow Eye Kole Tang, 2 Lyretail Anthias, and 5 Green Chromis. Considering two options ... Red Sea Regal Angel or Blue Throat Trigger. Would be great to hear pros and cons of each option ... and people’s choice!
Both are interesting choices. Regal angels can be a challenging species to get started eating and is more of a risk to corals, but should be well behaved in an sps tank. Blue throat triggers are a risk for motile inverts.

Oceanreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Trying to find info on Bellus angel and wrasse compatibility, I have an established melanaurus, leopard and multicolored Lubbock’s. Also have a clown goby, tailspot blennie helfriki firefish and 2 clowns ...everyone gets along great, always get nervous adding a new tank mate. The angel is in quarantine right now. I read an article that said the angel will pick on fairy and flasher wrasses so now I’m nervous

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for suggestions on what to add to our 220 mixed reef tank. We currently have a mandarin, orange spot goby, yellow clown goby, sailfin tang, foxface lo, and one spot foxface.

I am looking for suggestions on what to add. I was thinking of maybe trying a blue throat trigger pair again, and maybe a solon fairy wrasse. I see those relatively frequently at the lfs. The lfs also has a palani tang that they have told me they would almost give away at this point. I know, I know, I would be looking to re-home it not too long after getting it.

Most importantly, I'm looking for suggestions. I feel like every time I look on R2R I see some fish I've never heard of before that is interesting or unique in some way. Thank you for any and all help.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Trying to find info on Bellus angel and wrasse compatibility, I have an established melanaurus, leopard and multicolored Lubbock’s. Also have a clown goby, tailspot blennie helfriki firefish and 2 clowns ...everyone gets along great, always get nervous adding a new tank mate. The angel is in quarantine right now. I read an article that said the angel will pick on fairy and flasher wrasses so now I’m nervous
Genicanthus angels may make sweeping passes through other planktivores to show them who's boss, but nothing problematic. They should be fine together.
I'm looking for suggestions on what to add to our 220 mixed reef tank. We currently have a mandarin, orange spot goby, yellow clown goby, sailfin tang, foxface lo, and one spot foxface.

I am looking for suggestions on what to add. I was thinking of maybe trying a blue throat trigger pair again, and maybe a solon fairy wrasse. I see those relatively frequently at the lfs. The lfs also has a palani tang that they have told me they would almost give away at this point. I know, I know, I would be looking to re-home it not too long after getting it.

Most importantly, I'm looking for suggestions. I feel like every time I look on R2R I see some fish I've never heard of before that is interesting or unique in some way. Thank you for any and all help.
E
Any of those ideas would work. As would Genicanthus angels or pyramid butterflies.

Oceanreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus angels may make sweeping passes through other planktivores to show them who's boss, but nothing problematic. They should be fine together.

E
Any of those ideas would work. As would Genicanthus angels or pyramid butterflies.
Thank you so much! Really appreciate your expertise
Would you put Bellus in 90?

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

E

Thank you for the response! I really like the Lamarks and the pyramid butterfly. Would there be a problem adding both of those, either a solon wrasse or flasher wrasse and a blue throat trigger pair? Thanks again!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response! I really like the Lamarks and the pyramid butterfly. Would there be a problem adding both of those, either a solon wrasse or flasher wrasse and a blue throat trigger pair? Thanks again!
They would all be compatible. Each tank is different, so you would have to determine whether the tank can handle the bioload.

Julie Grisham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, My husband and I are new to this. We got a tank (150 gallon) this past weekend and have it set up. we are waiting to add fish as the ammonia level is slightly high. It came with a sea urchin, a crab two shrimp and some black prickly starfish. We'd like to add a pair of clownfish and possibly some tangs. Do seahorses get along with these? I love them and would love to have one. Are they better in pairs or can they be on their own? Thanks in advance for the information.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, My husband and I are new to this. We got a tank (150 gallon) this past weekend and have it set up. we are waiting to add fish as the ammonia level is slightly high. It came with a sea urchin, a crab two shrimp and some black prickly starfish. We'd like to add a pair of clownfish and possibly some tangs. Do seahorses get along with these? I love them and would love to have one. Are they better in pairs or can they be on their own? Thanks in advance for the information.
Congratulations on the tank.

Seahorses don't do well with most conventional fish. Fortunately, if they interest you there is a seahorse forum here on Reef2Reef with articles on how to care for seahorses.

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to what it means to wait until the tank is "more mature," or "good and settled in." This is super confusing. I have two freshwater tanks, but the suggestions for waiting periods seem... based more on personal opinion and tradition rather than science based fact. If your tank is cycled, and you're not having any bacterial blooms or algae blooms... assuming you've got your nutrients and dosing where you want them... What is the argument against adding that clam you've always wanted, or the mandarin, or specific coral on month 4? (this is assuming of course you do have a fully cycled tank and adequate pod introduction/growth through whatever means you have)

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to what it means to wait until the tank is "more mature," or "good and settled in." This is super confusing. I have two freshwater tanks, but the suggestions for waiting periods seem... based more on personal opinion and tradition rather than science based fact. If your tank is cycled, and you're not having any bacterial blooms or algae blooms... assuming you've got your nutrients and dosing where you want them... What is the argument against adding that clam you've always wanted, or the mandarin, or specific coral on month 4? (this is assuming of course you do have a fully cycled tank and adequate pod introduction/growth through whatever means you have)
the mandarin is for having enough pods like you said. people seem to wait for certain things because they think their tank is more stable. As long as you are willing to keep on top of parameters and maintain stable amounts of alk, etc. then I dont really see the problem with this. People always told me to wait half a year before getting an anemone but I got one a few weeks after tank was cycled no issues.

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mandarin is for having enough pods like you said. people seem to wait for certain things because they think their tank is more stable. As long as you are willing to keep on top of parameters and maintain stable amounts of alk, etc. then I dont really see the problem with this. People always told me to wait half a year before getting an anemone but I got one a few weeks after tank was cycled no issues.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. All over the site, people suggest waiting a year or so to let the tank mature for like a bta or something else of that nature.. it seems kind of silly. if the tank is cycled and params stable then it doesn't seem like there should be any limits or time frames. Crashes due to malfunction of equipment can happen at any time.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I'm talking about. All over the site, people suggest waiting a year or so to let the tank mature for like a bta or something else of that nature.. it seems kind of silly. if the tank is cycled and params stable then it doesn't seem like there should be any limits or time frames. Crashes due to malfunction of equipment can happen at any time.
yeah I agree with this, the only time limits that I followed were for getting my mandarin because that was the only one that made sense to me

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experienced aquarists in general know what to do without asking. If one needs to ask, then the best advice is move slowly. I know it is about learning to read my aquarium, but someone new or less skilled is not ready for that.

Waiting six months if you are new to this means learning how a reef works and more importantly, how YOU work with it.

That all said, my guess is most folks do what they want anyway and generally look for reinforcement.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experienced aquarists in general know what to do without asking. If one needs to ask, then the best advice is move slowly. I know it is about learning to read my aquarium, but someone new or less skilled is not ready for that.

Waiting six months if you are new to this means learning how a reef works and more importantly, how YOU work with it.

That all said, my guess is most folks do what they want anyway and generally look for reinforcement.
yeah when I added my anemone to my 180 I had already had a reef tank for a year. I agree

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back