Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I do a jawfish and a YWG in a 20 long? Sandbed only about 1" thick, is that too shallow for a jawfish?

Also, this is my planned stocking for a 20 long:
1 Six-Line wrasse
2 clowns
1 YWG/Pistol shrimp pair

YWG is in QT currently. Pistol in tank. I had a brook and ich outbreak due to not QTing so tank is fallow and Goby in QT treated for brook/ich. Clowns will be going in and then a few months add the six-line as I know they can be terrors sometimes. Is there any other fish I could get? I really like Tailspot blennies, also clown gobies and Bangaii cardinals.

Nutrients not a problem as I do lots of w/c and have great nutrient export with a chaeto reactor.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I do a jawfish and a YWG in a 20 long? Sandbed only about 1" thick, is that too shallow for a jawfish?

Also, this is my planned stocking for a 20 long:
1 Six-Line wrasse
2 clowns
1 YWG

YWG is in QT currently. Clowns will be going in and then a few months add the six-line as I know they can be terrors sometimes. Is there any other fish I could get? I really like Tailspot blennies, also clown gobies and Bangaii cardinals.
A jawfish really needs 2"+ of sand.

Skip the 6line, they can be terrors most of the time. Go with the blenny/goby/cardinal instead.

Last edited:

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A jawfish really needs 2"+ of sand.

Skip the 6line, they can be terrors most of the time. Go with the blenny/goby/cardinal instead.

Should I add another 10 lbs? I have 20 in there currently.

I love the way the sixline acts. No other fish that will fit in my tank acts like that. I do have a QT I can rehome to temporarily until I can swap out at the LFS. Is there any way to safeguard/make sure they're not jerks?

Last edited by a moderator:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add another 10 lbs? I have 20 in there currently.

I love the way the sixline acts. No other fish that will fit in my tank acts like that. I do have a QT I can rehome to temporarily until I can swap out at the LFS. Is there any way to safeguard/make sure they're not jerks?
A pr of clowns and a sixline would be all for a 20g due to the attitudes of clowns a sixlines.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pr of clowns and a sixline would be all for a 20g due to the attitudes of clowns a sixlines.

Will the YWG be OK as he stays in his burrow? So no go on the small clown goby as well?

Basically sixline, 2 clowns, and YWG OR 2 clowns, YWG, blenny/cardinal/goby and mabye a royal gramma?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the YWG be OK as he stays in his burrow? So no go on the small clown goby as well?

Basically sixline, 2 clowns, and YWG OR 2 clowns, YWG, blenny/cardinal/goby and mabye a royal gramma?
5 is too many fish.
Its either:
clowns and sixline
Clowns, ywg, clown goby
Clowns and bangaii pr
Clowns, ywg, single bangaii

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the YWG+clown pair+sixline a nogo as the sixline/clowns will pick on the YWG? I thought he would be fine as its different territory.

I'll probably either do YWG/clown pair/sixline or clowns, ywg, and a bangaii or royal gramma.

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fluval 13.5 has a tailspot Blenny, a pair of Randall's shrimp goby and a pair of clowns. Tuxedo urchin and Cuc.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the YWG+clown pair+sixline a nogo as the sixline/clowns will pick on the YWG? I thought he would be fine as its different territory.

I'll probably either do YWG/clown pair/sixline or clowns, ywg, and a bangaii or royal gramma.
Sixlines have been known to go after the eyes of sedentary fish.

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
Looking to add some new life to the tank, just here for some ideas and hopefully someone to mention something I haven’t thought of. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a fish, looking possibly for a sea star or anything really lol just ideas

55 gallon, mixed reef, but mostly LPS and softies
Current stock:
2 Darwin Clowns
Exquisite firefish
Red Mandarin (keep a pretty good pod population)
Fire Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Pistol shrimp (his wheelers goby companion died, unsure of why)
2 Mexican turbos
Fighting conch
3 Turban Snails
3 Cerith snails
2 blue legged hermits

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
Looking to add some new life to the tank, just here for some ideas and hopefully someone to mention something I haven’t thought of. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a fish, looking possibly for a sea star or anything really lol just ideas

55 gallon, mixed reef, but mostly LPS and softies
Current stock:
2 Darwin Clowns
Exquisite firefish
Red Mandarin (keep a pretty good pod population)
Fire Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Pistol shrimp (his wheelers goby companion died, unsure of why)
2 Mexican turbos
Fighting conch
3 Turban Snails
3 Cerith snails
2 blue legged hermits
Some options include:
Flasher wrasse
Purple tilefish
Yellow assessor
Royal gramma

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back