Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you,

I’m thinking 2 Pakistani butterflies a dwarf angel (flame or golden) and a fu Manchu lionfish in a 75gal. How do the butterflies pair up. Can you just put two random ones in or do you need to aquire a pair?
It can vary how readily they will pr up.

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my 250dd up and running and fish transferred over, along with some new additions. Below is my current stocking. I just want to know opinions on the amount of fish I have. I've never had this large of tank, so I just want to make sure I don't over do it. And IF I still have room for more additions, what some suggestions would be.
(1) Purple Tang
(2) Yellow Tangs
(1) Sailfin Tang
(1) Hippo Tang
(1) Six barred Angelfish
(1) Pearlscale Butterfly
(2) Clowns
(2) Blue Yellow Tailed Damsels
(3) Neon Velvet Damsels

250dd bare-bottom tank w/ 50 gallon sump. Skimmer (will admit it's under rated for this tank--it's my old skimmer) and ATS.

Npereira22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else would be cool to add..

Either 1 main fish, or several other smaller fillings?

30 Gallon:
25lbs Live Rock
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Banded Shrimp
1 Mex. Turbo Snail
1 Emerald Crab
2 Scarlet Hermits

Anemone:
Purple Hatian (non hosted by clowns)
20180527_172214.jpg
20180527_172245.jpg

20180527_172221.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my 250dd up and running and fish transferred over, along with some new additions. Below is my current stocking. I just want to know opinions on the amount of fish I have. I've never had this large of tank, so I just want to make sure I don't over do it. And IF I still have room for more additions, what some suggestions would be.
(1) Purple Tang
(2) Yellow Tangs
(1) Sailfin Tang
(1) Hippo Tang
(1) Six barred Angelfish
(1) Pearlscale Butterfly
(2) Clowns
(2) Blue Yellow Tailed Damsels
(3) Neon Velvet Damsels

250dd bare-bottom tank w/ 50 gallon sump. Skimmer (will admit it's under rated for this tank--it's my old skimmer) and ATS.
That stocking is fine for that tank, though neon damsels turn blak and get pretty mean.

What else would be cool to add..

Either 1 main fish, or several other smaller fillings?

30 Gallon:
25lbs Live Rock
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Banded Shrimp
1 Mex. Turbo Snail
1 Emerald Crab
2 Scarlet Hermits

Anemone:
Purple Hatian (non hosted by clowns)
20180527_172214.jpg
20180527_172245.jpg

20180527_172221.jpg
Yellow assessor, royal gramma, stigmatura blenny are all cool options.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the stings of some corals are dangerous to seahorses.

Gorgonians are a good coral for keeping with seahorses.

MEhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new biocube 32 and started it 4 days ago with live water, CaribSea Life Rock, and aragonite sand. I currently have the pump running with chemipure elite, filter floss, and a heater set to 83. I have a digital thermometer coming in the mail along with a test kit and refractometer tomorrow. What should I first stock it with? A clean up crew? A fish? Specific suggestions would be appreciated as I have never had a saltwater tank before in my life...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new biocube 32 and started it 4 days ago with live water, CaribSea Life Rock, and aragonite sand. I currently have the pump running with chemipure elite, filter floss, and a heater set to 83. I have a digital thermometer coming in the mail along with a test kit and refractometer tomorrow. What should I first stock it with? A clean up crew? A fish? Specific suggestions would be appreciated as I have never had a saltwater tank before in my life...
83 is a little warm for a reef. Drop it down to 77-78. Stock it slowly. A small cuc can be added and fed a little to see how the tank has/will cycle. If after a week there is no ammonia/nitrite you could add a hardy fish. But then wait a couple of weeks and continue to test the parameters.

RooR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the bacteria lives on surfaces and not in the water column?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast

I am wrapping up my stocking for my RSR 525XL, you got me this far an I am very happy!

Here is what I currently have stocked:
azure damsel 3
blue green chromis 1
red head solon fairy wrasse 1
red striped cardinal fish 3
zebra barred dartfish 3
purple firefish 1
oscellaris clown 2
tailspot blenny 1
wheelers goby 2
pink spot goby 1
All of the above are out and about all day and night till lights out...…even the purple firefish cruises the entire tank.....absolutely no issues. And I want to keep it that way!

Here are the last 3 I would like to add:
longnose hawkfish (I am not worried about inverts)
Flametail Blenny (had one before and a family favorite)
Flame angel or coral beauty (not worried about coral nipping)

There may be a mandarin or ruby red dragonet later on.

Your thoughts and concerns please?

Thanks,

Mike

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast

I am wrapping up my stocking for my RSR 525XL, you got me this far an I am very happy!

Here is what I currently have stocked:
azure damsel 3
blue green chromis 1
red head solon fairy wrasse 1
red striped cardinal fish 3
zebra barred dartfish 3
purple firefish 1
oscellaris clown 2
tailspot blenny 1
wheelers goby 2
pink spot goby 1
All of the above are out and about all day and night till lights out...…even the purple firefish cruises the entire tank.....absolutely no issues. And I want to keep it that way!

Here are the last 3 I would like to add:
longnose hawkfish (I am not worried about inverts)
Flametail Blenny (had one before and a family favorite)
Flame angel or coral beauty (not worried about coral nipping)

There may be a mandarin or ruby red dragonet later on.

Your thoughts and concerns please?

Thanks,

Mike
That looks good. You are aware of the potential issues I would have listed.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good. You are aware of the potential issues I would have listed.
Thanks...……..is it correct to say dwarf angels may be aggressive with each other but leave other fish alone? I am only wanting 1 dwarf angel, but don't want it to harass any other fish already stocked.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...……..is it correct to say dwarf angels may be aggressive with each other but leave other fish alone? I am only wanting 1 dwarf angel, but don't want it to harass any other fish already stocked.
They can posture toward other fish, but in a tank that size shouldn't cause any real issues.

Bee0877

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon with corner overflow and a 30 gallon sump current stocking is

1-Black oscellaris clownfish
1- oscellaris clownfish
1-yellow tang
1-peppermint shrimp
1- bubble tip anenome

Any suggestions for other reef safe fish. I kind of want a diamond goby but heard I will regret it spitting sand everywhere also considering blue green chromis, filefish. I am looking for relatively easy fish to find in Virginia

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon with corner overflow and a 30 gallon sump current stocking is

1-Black oscellaris clownfish
1- oscellaris clownfish
1-yellow tang
1-peppermint shrimp
1- bubble tip anenome

Any suggestions for other reef safe fish. I kind of want a diamond goby but heard I will regret it spitting sand everywhere also considering blue green chromis, filefish. I am looking for relatively easy fish to find in Virginia
Many have had the problem of green chromis killing each other. That hasn't been my experience, but I seem to be in the minority.

Some options include: fairy and flasher wrasses, Meiacanthus species of blenny, royal gramma, chalk bass, a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish.

stripe14631

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I set up a 40 gal AIO on April 1st and been dosing ammonia to keep the cycle going while my clown fish is in quarinteen. I will be introducing him to the tank next week and starting to plan my live stock list. So far here's what I came up with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first marine tank.
Ps I'm also doing a mixed reef down the road.

Neon dottyback
Flame angel
Lawnmower Blenny
Purple firefish goby
Bicolor Blenny
Spotted hawkfish
Black ice clown
Cleaner shrimp
CUC
I know this will be overstocking thats the look im going after, and judging by the severity of this new found addiction I'm pretty certain I will be starting another reef tank in the near future which will allow me to move some things around.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I set up a 40 gal AIO on April 1st and been dosing ammonia to keep the cycle going while my clown fish is in quarinteen. I will be introducing him to the tank next week and starting to plan my live stock list. So far here's what I came up with. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first marine tank.
Ps I'm also doing a mixed reef down the road.

Neon dottyback
Flame angel
Lawnmower Blenny
Purple firefish goby
Bicolor Blenny
Spotted hawkfish
Black ice clown
Cleaner shrimp
CUC
I know this will be overstocking thats the look im going after, and judging by the severity of this new found addiction I'm pretty certain I will be starting another reef tank in the near future which will allow me to move some things around.
Neon dottybacks can be aggressive in smaller tanks and are not good tankmates with firefish.

2 perching blennies in this size tank is not a good idea. The lawnmower blenny will likely harass the bicolor.

Spotted hawkfish can be territorial in small tanks and can eat inverts.

Add fish slowly and test parameters often.

stripe14631

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon dottybacks can be aggressive in smaller tanks and are not good tankmates with firefish.

2 perching blennies in this size tank is not a good idea. The lawnmower blenny will likely harass the bicolor.

Spotted hawkfish can be territorial in small tanks and can eat inverts.

Add fish slowly and test parameters often.

Thanks for the reply. Is it safe to assume all dottybacks have the same temperament?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back