Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 29 gallon (12x30x18h) with a 20 high sump that I'll get to start stocking after a 76 day wait for my rock and CUC to ensure it's pest free. The refugium area is 10" x 12" x 8" high with the baffle but the height might be increasing once I get my plumbing issues worked out. I plan to have a reef and I do prefer the look of soft corals over hard corals but I don't want to limit myself with my fish stocking. I used the comparability chart and other information on Live Aquaria to figure out which fish I could potentially get and I wanted to see what sort of advice or recommendations you all have. I will be running a Curve 5 in the sump. 32 lbs live rock split between DT and sump (for aesthetic reasons, it's too much for DT. Probably close to 60 pounds live sand.

These are the fish that I like, it is NOT A STOCKING LIST. It is merely the fish that I am considering, I DO NOT plan on putting all of these fish in my tank. This is a list that I would like to pick my stock from.

I have a peppermint shrimp in my CUC along with a bunch of snails, and a couple hermit crabs.

I definitely want a pair of clown fish, LFS breeds them and I plan on getting them at about 1" in size if a little bit smaller, I like the idea of getting to see them grow.

Other than the clown fish, these are the fish that I like... I know some of them seem to be a border line, and one says on Live Aquaria that you need to have a stocked fuge, now does that simply mean that I need to have pods in my fuge and they will make their way up the return pump on their own, or will I need to spot feed? I do not want anything high maintenance that needs to be spot fed daily, or that are too tricky eaters. I notice Live Aquaria frequently only lists live food as what the fish eat, is this the only food these fish could eat or will any be fine on pellet/flake etc.

+Pair of clownfish- LFS Breeds these
+Royal Gamma- I've heard some mixed review on the temperament of these fish...
+Dusky Jawfish
+Six Line Wrasse
+Kaudern's Cardinalfish- LFS Breeds these
+Cave Transparent Goby
+Diamond Watchman Goby- I'm not sure if my tank and fuge would be big enough for this one and I would much rather play it safe than get a fish that's going to be unhappy in my tank
+Sharknose Goby
+Neon Goby

Another thing that I really care about is where the fish come from, I really do not want to contribute to taking these fish from the ocean so sustainability is important to me, I don't know LFS's status on breeding the other fish. Are there any others that I could have a pair or more of, Live Aquaria says some gobies can be kept in mated pairs, is that unreasonable for a beginner? Are they like clownfish where if you get them young it could work? Do I just have too small of a setup for that?

Any advice and opinions are welcome. Pic of DT rock work since some fish bios say they need 'a lot' of rock work for eating/hiding but don't know what 'a lot' of rock work actually is. The two bottom rocks on either side have a sort of cubby in them, and the branch of coral is a tunnel to the other side
IMG_0041.JPG
Sixlines can be quite aggressive. Getting meaner and more territorial as they mature.

Diamond gobies get too big for a 29g. Most people don't realize how big they get.

Sharknose and neon gobies will fight. Choose one species, but both species can be kept as prs.

Captive bred fish aren't as environmentally better of a choice than wild caught fish. But that is a discussion for elsewhere.
I think the six line wrasse is moving up in the list to a 'really want' fish, the clowns are 'practically mandatory'. The bristle worms in my tank are getting a bit much for me, I really don't want to look in my tank during the day with the lights on and see them poking out of the rocks, and I think one has contributed in the killing of one of my snails. I know bristle worms don't typically do that sort of thing, but the other day I found a bristle worm living in one of my turbo snail's shells, and today that snail is dead so I'm not a very happy camper, I had it less than a week. Maybe the snail was compromised and the worm did it's thing but it's still left a bad taste in my mouth about them and I'd prefer to keep their population a bit smaller.
The bristleworm most likely did not eat the snail. Though it may have eaten the dead snail, but that is helping keep the tank clean. They are good scavengers.

Diwrigh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm starting my first saltwater tank! Its a 57g with sump and T5 lighting among other things.

Being new to the hobby I want to make sure I take things slowly, and aim to one day transition from a FOWLR to a reef tank. That being said, right now I am cycling my tank but once it's finished, know I want 2 percula clowns and a coral beauty (very mainstream I know). After that, I'm thinking about a watchman/pistol shrimp combo, but also thinking about cardinals, firefish, hawkfish and maybe a blenny? Thoughts/ advice/ suggestions?

Also curious about the order I should introduce them into the tank. I'm thinking clowns first, then angel? But I could be very wrong! Any and all suggestions welcome :p

Last edited:

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon AIO tank and currently have only a pair of oscellaris clowns (somewhat small) and a cleaner shrimp. I'm looking to add one more fish to my system, then be done. I'm thinking of a rock- or bottom-dwelling fish that helps with cleanup work.

I have considered a tailspot blenny that might eat some algae (I've got GHA in spades right now), or a lawnmower blenny but it sounds like they might get too big for my tank.

I was also thinking about a goby that would sift the sand. If so, which would be a good species? There seem to be so many to consider...

I would choose one or the other, not both. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm starting my first saltwater tank! Its a 57g with sump and T5 lighting among other things.

Being new to the hobby I want to make sure I take things slowly, and aim to one day transition from a FOWLR to a reef tank. That being said, right now I am cycling my tank but once it's finished, know I want 2 percula clowns and a coral beauty (very mainstream I know). After that, I'm thinking about a watchman/pistol shrimp combo, but also thinking about cardinals, firefish, hawkfish and maybe a blenny? Thoughts/ advice/ suggestions?

Also curious about the order I should introduce them into the tank. I'm thinking clowns first, then angel? But I could be very wrong! Any and all suggestions welcome :p
The coral beauty may nip corals when you move from fowlr to reef. But if you do decide to get one add it last, as they can be territorial.

Vardinals, firefish, flame or longnose hawks are all great options.
I have a 20 gallon AIO tank and currently have only a pair of oscellaris clowns (somewhat small) and a cleaner shrimp. I'm looking to add one more fish to my system, then be done. I'm thinking of a rock- or bottom-dwelling fish that helps with cleanup work.

I have considered a tailspot blenny that might eat some algae (I've got GHA in spades right now), or a lawnmower blenny but it sounds like they might get too big for my tank.

I was also thinking about a goby that would sift the sand. If so, which would be a good species? There seem to be so many to consider...

I would choose one or the other, not both. Any thoughts or other suggestions?
Any true sand sifters need a system larger than 20g. Consider a watchman species.

Lawnmower blennies get to big and persnickity for 20g. The tailspot is a much better choice.

Diwrigh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral beauty may nip corals when you move from fowlr to reef. But if you do decide to get one add it last, as they can be territorial.

Vardinals, firefish, flame or longnose hawks are all great options.

Any true sand sifters need a system larger than 20g. Consider a watchman species.

Lawnmower blennies get to big and persnickity for 20g. The tailspot is a much better choice.
Awesome thank you! Good to know the coral beauty's should be added last

marcus_magoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R,
75 G is kinda small to have some tangs in there, would focus maybe on a Kole tang (yellow eye is a very nice Fish IMHO) very nice personality and very active fish but tend to swim a bit less than other tangs and spends more time grazing on the rockwork... most Kole tangs I've had beehaved excellent except for the current one I have which tends to be a bit aggressive on other fish even in a 400G tank but nothing serious...
Kole tangs are nice for that size of tank

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines can be quite aggressive. Getting meaner and more territorial as they mature.

Diamond gobies get too big for a 29g. Most people don't realize how big they get.

Sharknose and neon gobies will fight. Choose one species, but both species can be kept as prs.

Captive bred fish aren't as environmentally better of a choice than wild caught fish. But that is a discussion for elsewhere.

The bristleworm most likely did not eat the snail. Though it may have eaten the dead snail, but that is helping keep the tank clean. They are good scavengers.

Do you have any links to threads that have facts to support captive bred fish not being a better choice than wild caught?
When getting a pair of the gobies, same kind of course, do I need to make sure I get them before they reach a specific size do I need to make sure I get a m/f pair?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any links to threads that have facts to support captive bred fish not being a better choice than wild caught?
When getting a pair of the gobies, same kind of course, do I need to make sure I get them before they reach a specific size do I need to make sure I get a m/f pair?
This is a link to a pdf

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAHegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3IrGbpzDQ3dA-7RTOBaiJR

Getting smaller individuals helps. Ideally getting 2 that are already paired will give you the best chance of success.

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 180 g that will be a mixed reef.

I currently have a pair of midnight clowns a yellow “coris” wrasse and a melanurus wrasse in qt.

I plan on adding the following:

Radiant wrasse
2 fairy wrasses (undetermined)
1-2 flasher wrasses
Potters wrasse or moyeri wrasse (whichever I can find first)

2 tangs (undetermined but most likely smaller tangs)

I don’t want to stock to heavily and I love inverts like shrimp and crabs.

Should I even add more to this list?
Gobies? Blennies? Anthias? Chromis/damsels?
Any suggestions are most welcome!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 180 g that will be a mixed reef.

I currently have a pair of midnight clowns a yellow “coris” wrasse and a melanurus wrasse in qt.

I plan on adding the following:

Radiant wrasse
2 fairy wrasses (undetermined)
1-2 flasher wrasses
Potters wrasse or moyeri wrasse (whichever I can find first)

2 tangs (undetermined but most likely smaller tangs)

I don’t want to stock to heavily and I love inverts like shrimp and crabs.

Should I even add more to this list?
Gobies? Blennies? Anthias? Chromis/damsels?
Any suggestions are most welcome!
You should be able to add more, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder as far as what you may want to add.

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 90 Gal FOWLR soon. Would a Picasso trigger be ok in there? I would buy small and read they grow very slow. I also like niger triggers but read they grow much faster

I would also probably have a gold striped maroon clownfish, some sort of dwarf angel, and a tang

Would they be alright compatability wise with trigger? Mostly asking for the clown since its smaller

Also, would that be fully stocked? Any other smaller fish I could add that the trigger would be ok with?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 90 Gal FOWLR soon. Would a Picasso trigger be ok in there? I would buy small and read they grow very slow. I also like niger triggers but read they grow much faster

I would also probably have a gold striped maroon clownfish, some sort of dwarf angel, and a tang

Would they be alright compatability wise with trigger? Mostly asking for the clown since its smaller

Also, would that be fully stocked? Any other smaller fish I could add that the trigger would be ok with?
The picasso will be fine for awhile. Don't worry about the clowns, they can take care of themselves.

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
I have a 75 gallon reef tank. Current stock of fish is:
Pair of Clowns
Solon Wrasse
Exquisite Wrasse
Shrimp Goby and Pistol shrimp
3 PJ Cardinals
3 Barnacle Blennys

Was thinking of adding another type of Blenny being that the Barnacle Blennys only show themselves at feeding time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon reef tank. Current stock of fish is:
Pair of Clowns
Solon Wrasse
Exquisite Wrasse
Shrimp Goby and Pistol shrimp
3 PJ Cardinals
3 Barnacle Blennys

Was thinking of adding another type of Blenny being that the Barnacle Blennys only show themselves at feeding time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Most blennies will work. Barnacle blennies keep to themselves.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add a Gold Midas Blenny with a group of Randalls Anthia (6) and a Blotchy Anthia (1) 255g tank....

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add, not at the same time, a Smith’s blenny and a pair of yellow Line or neon gobies to a Red Sea reefer 250 (55 g display) assuming good, stable parameters and:

-Mated cherub angelfish pair
-aiptasia eating filefish pair
-blue finwatchman goby and shrimp
-transparent cave goby

Any concern with the angelfish? these are the only two I’m worried about, but they don’t bother the other tankmates currently.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add, not at the same time, a Smith’s blenny and a pair of yellow Line or neon gobies to a Red Sea reefer 250 (55 g display) assuming good, stable parameters and:

-Mated cherub angelfish pair
-aiptasia eating filefish pair
-blue finwatchman goby and shrimp
-transparent cave goby

Any concern with the angelfish? these are the only two I’m worried about, but they don’t bother the other tankmates currently.
They should be fine.

Nate77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We went threw the fish list and cut it by more then 1/2, wife says an eel is a must from what I have read it seems a zebra is less likely to bother fish then a snowflake? I am leaning towards a snowflake?
Here is the fish that the wife picked out, still needs to be narrowed down.
Tank is a sr 80 ,thread is here
Which fish to cut from list ?
The listed wrasses are the ones we like can be knocked down to 1 unless they can get along then 2

Zebra Eel or snowflake one or the other is a must, but which one?

Flame Angelfish
(Centropyge loricula)

Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Ctenochaetus strigosus

Pajama Cardinalfish
Sphaeramia nematoptera

Tahitian Butterflyfish
(Chaetodon trichrous)

One Spot Foxface
(Siganus unimaculatus)

Purple Dottyback
(Pseudochromis porphyreus)

Royal Gramma Basslet
(Gramma loreto)

Firefish
Nemateleotris magnifica

Purple Firefish
Nemateleotris decora

Blue Spot Jawfish
Opistognathus rosenblatti

Green Clown Goby
Gobiodon histrio

Red Striped Goby
Trimma cana

Falco Hawkfish
(Cirrhitichthys falco)

Axilspot Hogfish
(Bodianus axillaris )

Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
(Macropharyngodon bipartitus)

Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Paracheilinus mccoskeri

Grey Head Wrasse
Halichoeres leucurus

Velvet Fairy Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus

Thanks for any help/suggestions
nate

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back