Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e3893e9e95149b97e4439a4d0660176c.jpg

This is my new 16gallon biocube! I have two black ice clowns now and one frogspawn coral! I was wondering if i should put one or two firefish in? Please tell me your opinions below. Thanks!!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e3893e9e95149b97e4439a4d0660176c.jpg

This is my new 16gallon biocube! I have two black ice clowns now and one frogspawn coral! I was wondering if i should put one or two firefish in? Please tell me your opinions below. Thanks!!
Only 1. Unless they are a bonded pr firefish are intolerant of conspecifics.

RicordeaFreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20gal nuvo bare bottom tank, set up for about 9 months now. Currently I have a pair of clowns and a lot of corals, but I have been looking to add another fish as my nitrates are always reading pretty low.

I was thinking some sort of wrasse like a 6line, pink streak wrasse or maybe a starry blenny, lawnmower blenny. It would be nice if they played a role in helping clean up/pest control, but not entirely sure what I want to add. I'm open to suggestions on the next addition.

Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20gal nuvo bare bottom tank, set up for about 9 months now. Currently I have a pair of clowns and a lot of corals, but I have been looking to add another fish as my nitrates are always reading pretty low.

I was thinking some sort of wrasse like a 6line, pink streak wrasse or maybe a starry blenny, lawnmower blenny. It would be nice if they played a role in helping clean up/pest control, but not entirely sure what I want to add. I'm open to suggestions on the next addition.

Thanks!
I prefer the pink streak or Wetmorella wrasse species to the sixline as they are much more peaceful.

Starry and lawnmower blennies can be a little pushy in a 20g.

Springeri damsel and elongatus dottyback can also pick at some coral pests.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, are there any peaceful dottybacks that could be in a peaceful tank?

Aquanut76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some live rock yesterday and it had some stuff growing on it and was curious if anybody knows what it is? The only thing the store told me was it’s a hitchhiker.
D6100C1A-9AB7-4EFD-9DC7-5FC85D3F8161.jpeg
8092A19D-43FB-49D5-914D-6987D9D5AE9D.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fridmani and elongatus are pretty well behaved.

I have heard this before and based on similar advice I purchased an orchid dottyback for my 30 gallon, my only other fish inhabitants at the time were a pair of juvenile clowns. Very quickly the dottyback became aggressive to the point that my clowns would stay in the upper 1/3 of the tank. I got rid of it after a month or two. In hindsight perhaps it was underfed but I am still very wary of dottybacks.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard this before and based on similar advice I purchased an orchid dottyback for my 30 gallon, my only other fish inhabitants at the time were a pair of juvenile clowns. Very quickly the dottyback became aggressive to the point that my clowns would stay in the upper 1/3 of the tank. I got rid of it after a month or two. In hindsight perhaps it was underfed but I am still very wary of dottybacks.
There certainly are variances in individuals. A small tank size and underfeeding definitely exasperate any potential aggression.

DaveFe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I'm currently cycling my first ever saltwater tank, 75 gallons, it will be a reef tank with coral and inverts. I'm trying to come up with a stocking list and with so many selections it's almost overwhelming. One thing I've discovered is I really like wrasses I used the guide here for what kind of fairy wrasses will work together. And what I've read is flasher wrasses can be pretty much mixed any male of different species.
Anyway here's some initial fish I'm interested in please let me know what you think or if there's any other fish that would make good additions or substitutions to this list:
Starry Blenny
Royal Gramma
Sleeper Banded Goby (Add later to allow sandbed to develop life?)
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Fin Fairy Wrasse
Filamented Flasher Wrasse
McCosker's flasher Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse maybe (I'm thinking last fish added on to allow tank to establish pod population)

Please let me know your thoughts, also in terms of order of additions I was thinking 1. Flashers, 2. Blenny and Gramma, 3. Fairies, not sure when to add the sleeper goby and leopard wrasse much later.

Thanks,

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I'm currently cycling my first ever saltwater tank, 75 gallons, it will be a reef tank with coral and inverts. I'm trying to come up with a stocking list and with so many selections it's almost overwhelming. One thing I've discovered is I really like wrasses I used the guide here for what kind of fairy wrasses will work together. And what I've read is flasher wrasses can be pretty much mixed any male of different species.
Anyway here's some initial fish I'm interested in please let me know what you think or if there's any other fish that would make good additions or substitutions to this list:
Starry Blenny
Royal Gramma
Sleeper Banded Goby (Add later to allow sandbed to develop life?)
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Fin Fairy Wrasse
Filamented Flasher Wrasse
McCosker's flasher Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse maybe (I'm thinking last fish added on to allow tank to establish pod population)

Please let me know your thoughts, also in terms of order of additions I was thinking 1. Flashers, 2. Blenny and Gramma, 3. Fairies, not sure when to add the sleeper goby and leopard wrasse much later.

Thanks,
That stocking list and order seems pretty good. My only caution is to be careful with the yellowfin fairy. I've had them get a bit aggressive to other fairy and flasher wtasses.

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded to a 125 gallon oceanic, 72"×18"×21". The stock I have so far are:
2 azure damsels
2 green chromis
A bonded pair of ocellaris
A royal gramma
A diamond goby
1 male Indian Ocean lyretail anthias

I have 3 female lyretail anthias and a male melanurus wrasse being delivered Tuesday. I'm trying to decide on a tang for a centerpiece fish, to be added at a later date. I was thinking of a scopas tang, but wasn't sure if it would be too aggressive for the other species.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded to a 125 gallon oceanic, 72"×18"×21". The stock I have so far are:
2 azure damsels
2 green chromis
A bonded pair of ocellaris
A royal gramma
A diamond goby
1 male Indian Ocean lyretail anthias

I have 3 female lyretail anthias and a male melanurus wrasse being delivered Tuesday. I'm trying to decide on a tang for a centerpiece fish, to be added at a later date. I was thinking of a scopas tang, but wasn't sure if it would be too aggressive for the other species.
A scopas will be a fine centerpiece, and shouldn't pay too much attention to your other fish.

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
75 gallon tank with a Solon Wrasse, Exquisite Wrasse, 2 Clowns, shrimp goby and 3 pajama Cardinals.
Can I add a Pygmy Possum wrasse?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon tank with a Solon Wrasse, Exquisite Wrasse, 2 Clowns, shrimp goby and 3 pajama Cardinals.
Can I add a Pygmy Possum wrasse?

While I don’t have an answer for you, I do have a question. I have a Solon wrasse and want to add an exquisite. How do yours get along?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back