Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The christmas wrasse that i was looking at was Halichoeres claudia. If I were to get one of those wrasses over one of the angels I would need to add a bit more to my sandbed, but that wouldn’t be too much of a problem.
H. clauia should be fine.
Hello, I just started my first tank. It is a 32 gallon biocube with about 9 lbs of liferock in it. I already have a pair of ocellaris clowns, and ideally, I would like to end up with my clowns, a purple firefish, a royal gramma, and a banner cardinalfish.
1) is that overstocking a 32 gallon?
2) are all of those fish compatible? I’ve heard of royal grammas picking on certain tank mates.
3) can cardinalfish happily live without a school?
Thanks for any responses :)
That should be fine. The biggest issue is the pr of clowns. If/when they lay eggs they can be pretty aggressive.

I have found reports of gramma aggression to be a bit overblown. They will degend a cave, but even then, it isn't problematic.

Bangaii cardinals kill each other off in captivity, so 1 is fine.

jonahb32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long will it take for the clowns to lay eggs? This may be a dumb question lol but, Is there any way to stop them from laying?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add two more fish to my tank. My preference is for an active fish and a sand sifter and that they could be QT'd together.

I have a 50g cube which currently houses a clownfish, yellow wrasse, and yellow watchman goby. I was thinking maybe another wrasse. I've always loved the color of melanurus wrasses. For the sand sifter, would a diamond goby work with the the YWG?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add two more fish to my tank. My preference is for an active fish and a sand sifter and that they could be QT'd together.

I have a 50g cube which currently houses a clownfish, yellow wrasse, and yellow watchman goby. I was thinking maybe another wrasse. I've always loved the color of melanurus wrasses. For the sand sifter, would a diamond goby work with the the YWG?
The melanurus and diamond goby should be fine.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am debating on adding a sleeper banded goby. Sifts AND eats hair algae. Spends time all over the tank, not just the substrate. Just a suggestion to Check out.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating on adding a sleeper banded goby. Sifts AND eats hair algae. Spends time all over the tank, not just the substrate. Just a suggestion to Check out.
Oh that would be awesome... to the inter webs!

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 gallon started running in early April. Since the beginning I have debated a Zebra Eel. It is a mixed reef that currently houses a frostbite clown, lawnmower blenny, cardinal, blue throat trigger, melunuras wrasse, and 3 fire fish. I have the usual clean up crew, hermits and snails. I would like to add a cucumber down the line but haven't yet. My rock work is cemented and very sturdy, although I would need to add a couple more pieces to give the eel a good cave. I would need to improve my lid, but I can do that before adding. Any thoughts, It seems to be highly debated if a zebra is ok in a 90 or not. I know the snowflake size wise may be better suited but I have heard that the Zebra's are the most passive.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 gallon started running in early April. Since the beginning I have debated a Zebra Eel. It is a mixed reef that currently houses a frostbite clown, lawnmower blenny, cardinal, blue throat trigger, melunuras wrasse, and 3 fire fish. I have the usual clean up crew, hermits and snails. I would like to add a cucumber down the line but haven't yet. My rock work is cemented and very sturdy, although I would need to add a couple more pieces to give the eel a good cave. I would need to improve my lid, but I can do that before adding. Any thoughts, It seems to be highly debated if a zebra is ok in a 90 or not. I know the snowflake size wise may be better suited but I have heard that the Zebra's are the most passive.
Zebra eels get twice as big as a snowflake. A zebra eel needs a 180g.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebra eels get twice as big as a snowflake. A zebra eel needs a 180g.

Ok, so what are the general thoughts on the snowflake in a reef. My wife would rather me go that route anyways she likes them more lol. I just hate to add an animal and it not be a good fit.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so what are the general thoughts on the snowflake in a reef. My wife would rather me go that route anyways she likes them more lol. I just hate to add an animal and it not be a good fit.
Any inverts will eventually be eaten.

Snowflakes also may eat new fish when it gets bigger.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any inverts will eventually be eaten.

Snowflakes also may eat new fish when it gets bigger.
Ok, thanks. I was already on the fence about an eel and I think this may be enough to keep me from doing it. We are planning on adding onto our home in the next couple of year. Part of the add should be a fish room a 350+ aquarium, I'll wait till that happens before I add an eel.

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about this list. Will be going into a 75gal display Refugium so I am hoping nothing picks on the macro algae.

2 Pakistan butterflies
A dwarf angel. (Lemonpeel). Potential to eat algae but I love them.
Valentini Puffer
Golden dwarf moray.
Pink face wrasse. On the fence with this one. I know they are aggressive but they are my favorite genus and would hope to represent them.

Thank you

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about this list. Will be going into a 75gal display Refugium so I am hoping nothing picks on the macro algae.

2 Pakistan butterflies
A dwarf angel. (Lemonpeel). Potential to eat algae but I love them.
Valentini Puffer
Golden dwarf moray.
Pink face wrasse. On the fence with this one. I know they are aggressive but they are my favorite genus and would hope to represent them.

Thank you
The pink face wrasse will be fine with those fish.

The butterflies and the angel may eat the macroalgae.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast.

Per your prior advice, I am going to add an exquisite wrasse with my red head solon.

Can I also add a melanarus or Christmas wrasse?

I am having an explosion of soft tube feather dusters and need some help controlling them.

Or do you have another recommendation?

Thanks in advance

Mike

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast.

Per your prior advice, I am going to add an exquisite wrasse with my red head solon.

Can I also add a melanarus or Christmas wrasse?

I am having an explosion of soft tube feather dusters and need some help controlling them.

Or do you have another recommendation?

Thanks in advance

Mike
As long as the Christmas wrasse is H. claudia or biocellatus, should be fine.

Nick30G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Christmas Wrasse or melanarus wrasse be a good choice in a 37 gallon tank and 10 gallon sump with a clownfish pair and a fire shrimp?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back