Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1

I've been reading this thread and it's a lot of information. I early onset old man shrinking brain syndrome so will definitely need help stocking my tank! here is what i have so far:
20180728_131338.jpg

So that's my quarantine and i just removed the last rocks into the display sum Aug 1, beginning the 76 day countdown. Right now in the qt i have a flasher wrasse, blue chromis, blue damsel, maroon clown and Percula clown? The clowns barely tolerate each other. The maroon settled down a lot once the anenome was removed to the sump.( The display hasbeen running 6 weeks, cycled with frozen walmart shrimp and the parameters are good with nitrate dropping from 20 down to about 7-8 now. the anenome likes it in the sump just fine.)

The tank dimensions are 58.5x26x24 inches.We really had out heart set on some type of tang. Plus I think mandarins are cool. Between the sump refugium and the live rock bin I hope to produce enough pods for a single mandarin.

Also i am not adverse to returning some fish from my qt to the lfs since i probably made some poor choices before reading part of this thread. This will be sps dominant with a few lps. Here is the frag qt.

Appreciate all the help i can get. Thanks

IMG_0652.jpg

20180728_124929.jpg

20180728_124939.jpg

20180728_132142.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been reading this thread and it's a lot of information. I early onset old man shrinking brain syndrome so will definitely need help stocking my tank! here is what i have so far:
20180728_131338.jpg

So that's my quarantine and i just removed the last rocks into the display sum Aug 1, beginning the 76 day countdown. Right now in the qt i have a flasher wrasse, blue chromis, blue damsel, maroon clown and Percula clown? The clowns barely tolerate each other. The maroon settled down a lot once the anenome was removed to the sump.( The display hasbeen running 6 weeks, cycled with frozen walmart shrimp and the parameters are good with nitrate dropping from 20 down to about 7-8 now. the anenome likes it in the sump just fine.)

The tank dimensions are 58.5x26x24 inches.We really had out heart set on some type of tang. Plus I think mandarins are cool. Between the sump refugium and the live rock bin I hope to produce enough pods for a single mandarin.

Also i am not adverse to returning some fish from my qt to the lfs since i probably made some poor choices before reading part of this thread. This will be sps dominant with a few lps. Here is the frag qt.

Appreciate all the help i can get. Thanks

IMG_0652.jpg

20180728_124929.jpg

20180728_124939.jpg

20180728_132142.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg
You may need to remove one of the clowns.

A small Zebrasomma or Ctenochaetus tang should work.

A mandarin should be fine after the system has been setup for 6months.

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current list:
1 tailspot blenny
The tank is too small for a hippo when it is full grown.

Yellow and purple tangs are in the same genus, choose only one per genus.

Any recommendations on next fish? Looking to increase my bioload due to constant low nitrates, (currently at 0). I do have some LPS so it needs to be reef safe. Was thinking of a group of anthias maybe? Not ready for tangs just yet.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current list:
1 tailspot blenny

Any recommendations on next fish? Looking to increase my bioload due to constant low nitrates, (currently at 0). I do have some LPS so it needs to be reef safe. Was thinking of a group of anthias maybe? Not ready for tangs just yet.
Anthias are a great choice, as are fairy and flasher wrasses.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current list:
1 tailspot blenny

Can you provide tank dimensions/gallons and perhaps a list of fish you are looking at for the future. Compatibility and bio load are major issues that will help you get good advice.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I currently have a red sea reefer 750, 160 gallon. It's currently stocked with 3 pj cardinals, 1 royal gramma, 1 tailspot blenny, 1 foxface, and 2 snowflake clowns. I really want to add some tangs but I am determined to wait and add them last. My question is, when I do add them, is my tank too small for a hippo tang? My plan was adding a yellow tang, kole tang (or purple tang), and hippo tang all at once. Is this viable?

Can you provide tank dimensions/gallons and perhaps a list of fish you are looking at for the future. Compatibility and bio load are major issues that will help you get good advice.
His info quoted in the top quote.

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6+ dispar or resplendents are a good size group.

Update: I just got a trio of pyramid butterflyfish off divers den! Hoping they add some more activity to my aquarium, pretty excited!

Anthias will be next on my list I think, this was an impulse purchase and they checked all my boxes

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current stock list for a 70 gallon tank is:
2 blacker ice clowns
1 white cap goby
1 longnose hawkfish
1 blue star leopard wrasse
1 chalk bass

In all honesty my fish are real dick heads and I’m having trouble adding any new additions. I originally intended this tank to be wrasse heavy but every wrasse I have added has gotten bullied to death by the hawkfish the clowns and the leopard.

I thought hear fish were supposed to be peaceful haha, while I thoroughly enjoy all my fish adding new additions has proven to be very challenging and even fish such as blennies have not been able to survive the harassment. So my question is should I throw in the towel and live with the fish I have or is there any fish I can try that would be able to sand up for themselves and thrive in my tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current stock list for a 70 gallon tank is:
2 blacker ice clowns
1 white cap goby
1 longnose hawkfish
1 blue star leopard wrasse
1 chalk bass

In all honesty my fish are real dick heads and I’m having trouble adding any new additions. I originally intended this tank to be wrasse heavy but every wrasse I have added has gotten bullied to death by the hawkfish the clowns and the leopard.

I thought hear fish were supposed to be peaceful haha, while I thoroughly enjoy all my fish adding new additions has proven to be very challenging and even fish such as blennies have not been able to survive the harassment. So my question is should I throw in the towel and live with the fish I have or is there any fish I can try that would be able to sand up for themselves and thrive in my tank.
Usually your fish should not be problematic. I wouls recommend using a social acclimation box to introduce wrasses to the tank. I would also be curious to know your feeding schedule.

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually your fish should not be problematic. I wouls recommend using a social acclimation box to introduce wrasses to the tank. I would also be curious to know your feeding schedule.

I planned this list to be very peaceful but they just aren’t, I feed mysis or krill twice a day, I looked into an acclimation box but a good one is really expensive for how many fish I would be using it for

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned this list to be very peaceful but they just aren’t, I feed mysis or krill twice a day, I looked into an acclimation box but a good one is really expensive for how many fish I would be using it for
Critter keepers are relatively inexpensive and can be used as acclimation boxes.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that the tank size requirement for both a Starry Blenny or for a Midas Blenny is 30 gallons. Seems small to me for a 5-6” fish. Any thoughts on this?

(My system is bare bottom with good rock for perching and exploring).

While I am at it, could these two fish coexist in a tank that small? Could they coexist in general? Thanks in advance!

Chris_Heller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to SW and have purchased a used set up and need a little help with a fish stock list. I'm looking to have a mixed reef with community fish. DT is 100 gallons with about 100 lbs of rock. I have had the system up and running for about 2 weeks now going through its cycle. Added CUC after 24 hrs of tank temperature stabilizing. Any suggestions and order to add fish would be greatly appreciated!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that the tank size requirement for both a Starry Blenny or for a Midas Blenny is 30 gallons. Seems small to me for a 5-6” fish. Any thoughts on this?

(My system is bare bottom with good rock for perching and exploring).

While I am at it, could these two fish coexist in a tank that small? Could they coexist in general? Thanks in advance!

Those are both site-oriented fish, in that they have a preferred area to stay in, so 30g should suffice.

However, the 2 will not coexist in that size tank. Starry blennies in particular can be quite territorial to other perching and similarly shaped fish.

Hi, I'm new to SW and have purchased a used set up and need a little help with a fish stock list. I'm looking to have a mixed reef with community fish. DT is 100 gallons with about 100 lbs of rock. I have had the system up and running for about 2 weeks now going through its cycle. Added CUC after 24 hrs of tank temperature stabilizing. Any suggestions and order to add fish would be greatly appreciated!
Are there any fish you're particularly drawn to?

A few fish I enjoy for that size tank include; flame or longnose hawkfish, a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish, a few reef safe wrasses, purple tilefish, royal gramma, watchman goby and pistol shrimp.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back